PDA

View Full Version : Moose LEH draw outdated - now what?

ratherbefishin
10-08-2004, 07:31 AM
I spent a week in 5-13c, saw lots of cows but no bulls, and my LEH expired October 1.That limits me to either going way north, or trying for a spike fork.Where's my best chances in southern BC?

3kills
10-08-2004, 08:32 AM
there is moose all over the place but...the immature bulls are harder to find...i do however know where there is at least 3 hangin out right now...possible 4..but i cant tell ya where that is as i m going after them hopefully soon...

ratherbefishin
10-08-2004, 09:32 AM
will you PM me after you've filled your tag?

bone-collector
10-08-2004, 11:42 AM
having a LEH blow over sux , I know how that feels and then being stuck with the dreded onslot of hunters for open season but the moose are still out there you just have to think like them and get 1 step ahead in any area , I have been lucky in my life having many relatives as guides , outfitters, gunsmiths and my own father who did his own little study on moose behaviour in the 42 years he worked for CN railroad and keeping notes on all of it , I do try and help folks out but never hunting in your areas dosnt make it easy , different terrain , different timber etc , I can say that if you have missed the rutt you need willow stands preferably red willow, bulls will start to feed heavy after the rutt , if they are still rutting I cant see getting a spike/fork being to hard , find a cow or 2 and sit on them, the little bulls will hang around in hi hopes of getting some and big bulls usualy wont beat on a little fellow as they are no threat atall .

ratherbefishin
10-08-2004, 12:01 PM
I've not hunted moose a lot, are there any reasonable chances in the Monty hills area south og Kamloops?

bone-collector
10-08-2004, 12:12 PM
that I cant say , never hunted southern BC other than when my father was alive we hunted down around vernon for pheasant and deer 1 season with friends , I was about 10 years old so dont remember alot of roads or anything , I am sure 3kills and his crew could give you some advice from down there right Darcy :wink:

3kills
10-11-2004, 12:21 AM
i m not sure about the monty hills area...

u got a pm...

3kills
10-11-2004, 12:23 AM
I've not hunted moose a lot, are there any reasonable chances in the Monty hills area south og Kamloops?

hello..ifu want some good areas to try...try the frog more lakes area or up by mab lake or on the other side of the highway by helmer lake...its region 3-19 lots of moose around there and i m sure there is lots of lil bulls u just gotta find them...good luck and happy hunting...

Darcy...

3kills
10-11-2004, 01:10 AM
looks like i hit a wrong button so ur pm is on the thread lol...

morris
10-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Now that the spike/fork bull season has been cancelled in most of Region 5, we are exploring our options for our week long trip! We have decided that we will hunt in 5-13 long enough for the lucky member in our group to have chance at his leh bull. If that happens early in the week as opposed to later we will pack up and head to Bridge Lake on the 5-01, 3-30 border where we have access to a cabin. Does anyone know anything about this area regarding the spike/fork moose poulation??
But regardless of whether we get anything it will be a great week away in the bush!!

3kills
10-11-2004, 12:00 PM
5-13 isnt closing early is it???

morris
10-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Printer-friendly version

INFORMATION BULLETIN

For Immediate Release

2004WLAP0051-000813

Oct. 5, 2004
Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection

B.C., FIRST NATION TO WORK TOGETHER ON MOOSE MANAGEMENT

WILLIAMS LAKE – The Province and the Tsilhqot’in Council of Chiefs are working towards an agreement for the collaborative management of moose and other wildlife in the Chilcotin region.

In addition to joint game checks, which will survey hunters and their harvested game, First Nations have expressed an interest in providing information to the Regional Hunter Advisory Committee. The committee, which includes local representation of the BC Wildlife Federation and Guide Outfitters Association, reviews and recommends future hunting regulations.

The future of the new spike-fork moose season in the area will be included in the regulations under review. For this year’s spike-fork moose season in the Cariboo region, Management Units 5-03 to 5-06 and 5-10 to 5-14 inclusive will now close Oct. 12, while 5-01, 5-02 and 5-15 will remain open as planned.This change does not affect moose hunters with limited-entry hunting authorizations.

First Nations observers will also participate in moose population inventories in the Chilcotin region and help better define their sustenance needs.

-30-

Media

Max Cleeveley

Communications Director

Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection

250 387-9973

Visit the Province's website at www.gov.bc.ca for online information and services.

3kills
10-11-2004, 01:07 PM
thanx morris i read that before but i couldnt remember if 5-13 was included or not...

morris
10-11-2004, 03:39 PM
You're welcome...what a pisser! Now there will be 3 deer hunters and 1 moose hunter heading to 5-13a from our group

Kirby
10-11-2004, 04:59 PM
PM inbound

kirby

Kirby
10-11-2004, 05:00 PM
sorry, the PM is for Ratherbefishing

Kirby

Steeleco
10-11-2004, 05:59 PM
For those of you like me that just found Morris's news quite the surprise I found the bulletin on the net just now. I certainly hope that the government is doing the right thing for the moose and not bowing to the pressures from the Indian community.

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/nrm_news_releases/2004WLAP0051-000813.htm

OOPS a bunch of you beat me too it!!!

Foxer
10-12-2004, 12:19 AM
I think what the gov't is doing is intelligent - there HAS to be a dialogue and the natives should have been consulted before. Plus, i understand the courts are set to turn over a large amount of that land to the natives, so of course they're going to have a say.

I was there during the whole blow up - with two moose hanging. The situation was so tense it wasn't funny. That kind of thing has to be avoided, or sooner or later there'll be violence. And i'm not talking 'hockey night in canada' kind of violence either. That would be a very, very bad thing, for everyone. So i'm happy to see that the natives will at least not be 'surprised' like this time in the future, and will have a voice.

However, it don't mean a dawg gone diddly thing unless the natives start taking conservation as seriously as we do. In that area the natives have been killing moose in excess of their needs, inviting members of other bands to hunt the area, and wasting tonnes of meat. And they don't put an hours work or a nickle's money into conservaton. Then they are upset when there's not enough moose.

They have GOT to start making an effort to curtail their piss-poor behaviour, and start practicing the same sort of stuff we do - all 4 quarters harvested, limiting the hunt to a reasonable amount that satisfies their needs but doesn't waste meat, that sort of thing. Until that starts to happen, there's always going to be a problem.