PDA

View Full Version : Hound Basics-Hound? Curs?

deepfishing
01-07-2007, 08:01 PM
I have had the luck to make it out with a friends friend and his hounds. I loved it. What is the difference between a hound and a Cur. Do the curs howl while they hunt too. Is there a difference in how they hunt? Can you train a hound just for cat and coon? I also read a post where a guy has a Jagd terrier he hunts coon and bear with? Are theses dogs silent hunters? How do you follow them? Would like to know more about the basics?

thanks

K-1
01-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Cur is a cross bred hound. It can be a hound x to any other breed. Or it can be two different breeds of hounds. A lot of unregistered hounds would be classed in this group. Depending on what the cross is these dogs can be very good hunters. Registered dog (their papers) will only tell you their bloodlines, and that will give you a ideas to what that dog should be like. I brought a Black&Tan up from Montana (this was the third one from the same kennel) and she was useless, I sent her on the "Big track in the sky". A lot of good crosses have been made, just try to breed to a dog that has something to offer , more voice, colder nose speed etc..
I have a Jagdterrier and have used him on coons but now I mainly use him to blood trail now. He dose open on track and is excellent striking out of the box. He is 8yr. old and comes from German bloodlines that were brought in to B.C. about 30 yr. ago

deepfishing
01-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the answers, hope you do not mind a few more?What is blood trailing? The Jagd terrier is a smaller dog? When he trees something does he bay? How do you find him if he doesn't? Aare the Jagd very popular here? What do they usually get used to hunt?

thanks

B

K-1
01-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Blood trailing is fowling a blood trail that has been left by a wounded animal. This comes in handy when you are looking for a wounded bear, as they have a tendency to head into the thickest, nasty, darkest "S" you will ever see. Jagds standards are 16 in. & on more then 22 lb., Rudy is
14 3/4 and weights around 22.lb.. That's him with me in the pic. They will hunt and FIGHT anything, in Europe they also have been used to retrieve birds. There are 3 Jagds. here on the island, another male in Vic. and a Female (so I've been told) in Campbell River.They don't make very good house pet as they are hunting dogs, and don't get along with others.
You can look them up under ' Jagdterrier' or 'German Hunting Terrier'. Hope this helps with some of your questions, I don't know where you live but if you are in the Colwood area and want to meet Rudy give me a call.

Barracuda
01-08-2007, 08:54 PM
here is a bit of Cur info there are a couple of fellows on here i think .
http://www.ukcdogs.com/HPCurFeist.htm

Jagermeister
01-08-2007, 08:59 PM
This link will have you sounding like a seasoned Hound Hunter in no time.

http://www.decaturcountycoonhunt.com/hound_terms.html

lany68
10-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I have had the luck to make it out with a friends friend and his hounds. I loved it. What is the difference between a hound and a Cur. Do the curs howl while they hunt too. Is there a difference in how they hunt? Can you train a hound just for cat and coon? I also read a post where a guy has a Jagd terrier he hunts coon and bear with? Are theses dogs silent hunters? How do you follow them? Would like to know more about the basics?

thanks

Check out jagdterrier hunters forum

toyotacowboy
10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
those dogs are nuts!!! when my hounds are gone i want one. i have had the expeirience of being with one in the bush and it was pretty cool watching him

digger dogger
10-09-2009, 04:34 PM
i have a "cur" that has jagd bred into her they are unreal bear dogs but are a bit aggresive, will not bay up, and mine will not run silent ever. a akc-ckc blk & tan are a different breed than the blk & tans used for hunting only...

Clint_S
10-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Curs aren't mongrels in the old sense of the word but are a breed onto themselves.
Think "old Yeller" if you are meaning a black mouth cur.
Leopard Curs are spotted and may handle better than a hound but still hunt real well.
Stephens curs or stephens stock dogs are fast good hunting little dogs that make great squirrel dogs.
Most Cur breeds may or may not be open on track but all will tree real well and lilkey be more biddible than a hound. Probably a good choice for a person who wants a dog that is a little more of an all round dog.