PDA

View Full Version : PAL wait times

Ryanw
06-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering what people have been waiting for pal In BC?

They have had mine since April second. When I phoned bc CFO the lady rudely said don't phone back until we have had it for 3 months. Wondering if other people are getting the same
Responses?

2chodi
06-16-2013, 10:28 PM
My recent experience: see more (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?95180-PAL-Issues&p=1339986#post1339986)

yakideath12
06-16-2013, 10:48 PM
45days what it says

keoke
06-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Sent mine in February and just got it last month.

Scuba_Dave
06-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Dont phone until they have had it for 3 months?? Isnt the expected time like 45 days?

"Our service standards to process a complete and accurate application are:

45 days, including the 28-day legislated waiting period, for a licence application"

Mine has been there since April...Phoned them last week in New Brunswick and they had JUST sent it off to BC CFO. Kind of hope they hurry the heck up!! It has been WELL over the expected 45 days....Dont know what the heck the delay is...Kind of getting agitated about it at this point :cry:

ElliotMoose
06-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Also depends what time of year you send it in. Gets pretty busy this time of year as people are trying to get their PAL's for the fast approaching hunting season. Mine took the better part of a year to come in... I called them a number of times asking what the deal was. Frustrating experience!

edgy
06-17-2013, 07:40 AM
45days what it says
haha, thats pretty funny, 127 days for mine! good luck, hope you all have better luck than I had :)

Mike_R
06-17-2013, 07:55 AM
IIRC there's a thread on Canadian Gun Nutz that suggests things you can try to expedite the issue of your PAL.

Steeleco
06-17-2013, 07:58 AM
They received my renewal April 15th, but didn't take payment till May 17th. So now mine has "EXPIRED" as of last Wed the 12th I've printed the page from their online site.

https://secure.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/eCFISIWS/editLicenceQueryChoice.do?language=English

I'm not the least bit worried about getting asked to see it. As I've only been asked once or twice since the program started back in the 90's But if I do. I'm ready. Their ineptitude will not make me a criminal!!!!!

North49
06-17-2013, 08:22 AM
I had my PAL 41 days after they received....expected it to take longer but was pleasently surprised. I guess I had good references and a squeaky clean record?

d6dan
06-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Mine pal was renewed and sent to me in 29 days. I sent it in 2 weeks before the deadline on May 16th and saved the $60.

Ryanw
06-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I just phoned again. Talked to a nice lady, she said that CFO has it there Realy back logged. Even said it was wierd that so many people are aplying for there pal this year. Told me to keep phone back to big them. To make sure they get it. I did read the candain gun nutz. I did run into a couple old friends from high school in the new grouse outfitters. They both waited 7 months for there pal.

Steeleco
06-17-2013, 11:14 AM
The math tells me it's been 15 years since 98 when the laws changed. Those of us with FAC's of the day had to get a PAL and challenged the test. As with passports of late, the law changed and everyone that want's one needs to get one ASAP, then every 5 years there the corresponding glut of renewals. Still, if dumb little old me can see it coming, you'd think the BONEHEADS that created this mess would also anticipate the run of renewals.

Spy
06-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Are you talking about renewals or new applications. I recieved my renewal letter last week, mine expires in Aug!Best I get it done if there is a backlog. :-(

sarg
06-17-2013, 11:50 AM
It took just over a year and a half for my GF to receive hers in the mail. :( she had one little medical issue they found on her record from a kid and made wait :(

G.A.
06-17-2013, 12:41 PM
so much for them only looking 2 years back and our medi records being private without a signature

Fosey
06-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I sent my application away Feb 8th and my PAL expired April 21st so I have been without a PAL since then. Typical Government raise the cost and make cutbacks to the department and give no service to the customer. I phoned the RCMP and they said it is at the Provincial Firearms Officer. I don't know what the hold-up is I haven't even had a speeding ticket for 20 years. Lucky I bought lots of ammo the day before my birthday.

doddatto
06-18-2013, 09:28 AM
I sent mine in in Dec mid month, Just got approved last week, so 6 months. They are Realllllyyyy Busy, back log, the guy that worked on my file said... your going to be waiting for awhile, Just Keep calling them explain that you are calling to make sure you filled out your form correctly and if you can have your reference call in... Good Luck man it sucks waiting i know but by then you should have some money saved by then... I missed out on all the spring hunting this year.

Not much that can be done about it!

David
06-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Mine took 9 months for a renewal... didn't even get to the CFO until 4 months in.... but then I foolishly checked the "have you been separated/divorced within the last 2 years" box.

My understanding from having many lengthy chats with the CFO and others is that if your application is a "rubber stamp" it's taking the 45 days. If it's something that a CFO actually has to look into (i.e. call a reference or something like that) you're looking at a minimum of 3 months.

Me.

slowkey
06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
received my renewal notice in March (exp. was July). Got my pic and mailed out beginning of April. Still hadn't received anything by June 1. So I called and talked to a very nice lady, she checked and said they received my renewal the end of April (bit of a delay considering I mailed beginning of April), that it had been approved but not mailed yet but she would make sure it was sent out. After that call I received it 7 days later.

06-18-2013, 12:02 PM
My friend let his lapse and has been waiting for the renewal since last December. The online note on January 24th was that he passed the first stage in December and that the 45 days would be up on January 31st. There is always some lame excuse when he calls. No criminal record, no charges, good job etc etc...

He still doesn't have it.

tinpusher
06-20-2013, 11:17 AM
66 days and counting and I have a high level federal security clearance for work. Imagine if new drivers passed their road test then were told they couldn't drive for at least 3 months. You think they would be safe behind the wheel? How about the person who learns how to properly handle a firearm for the first time and then can't touch one for 3+ months. I've already forgot 50% of what I learned but am smart enough to go through the book again before going hunting. Can we expect Joe red neck to do the same?

Steeleco
06-20-2013, 11:48 AM
I've had Airside clearance for 25+ years, they needed to know if my long dead granny was a communist or not? They take pictures of my retina and all the other fine things needed since 9-11
I can be trusted with a 767 and 300 passengers, but don't touch a gun!!!

tinpusher
06-20-2013, 02:10 PM
The BC CFO office is 15 minutes from my house so I decided to drop in and see what's up. They received my application from CFS in early May and they are currently working on February!

Everett
06-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Joe red neck had a gun in his environment since he was born he doesn't scare me city boys who take a micky mouse gun course running around in the woods with a gun scare the shit out of me.

tinpusher
06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Joe red neck had a gun in his environment since he was born he doesn't scare me city boys who take a micky mouse gun course running around in the woods with a gun scare the shit out of me.

Good point. Lol.

Spy
06-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Joe red neck had a gun in his environment since he was born he doesn't scare me city boys who take a micky mouse gun course running around in the woods with a gun scare the shit out of me.X2 LOl sometimes its pays to be a redneck.

tinpusher
06-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Got it after 74 days. Remind me again, which is the bolt and which is the safety?

russm
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Got it after 74 days. Remind me again, which is the bolt and which is the safety?

Lol, aim from the skinny end! Two of my buddies and myself took and passed the course the same day and mailed them the same day, I got mine 2-3 weeks sooner and they both had the phone interview while I wasn't contacted at all :s

Ryanw
07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
So I phoned back to day since my 90 days have been up. since they have had my app. I was on hold for 20 minutes,
Then the lady said your approved u should see in a week to 2 weeks. Thank god!!!! I was getting discouraged.

Fella
07-03-2013, 03:32 PM
I phoned on day 45, lady said, and I quote "Ok, I just approved it, you'll see it in a week".

doddatto
07-03-2013, 09:55 PM
So I phoned back to day since my 90 days have been up. since they have had my app. I was on hold for 20 minutes,
Then the lady said your approved u should see in a week to 2 weeks. Thank god!!!! I was getting discouraged.
Glad u got it man

Ryanw
07-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Thank u very much!

Fosey
07-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Sent my renewal info one month ahead of my birthdate and still have not received my PAL. Phoned the RCMP in Ottawa and they had all the excuses about being flooded with applications and there is a four month delay. I explained to them in a very nice voice this is not fair and I am possessing firearms illegally and cannot purchase ammunition or firearms. They have taken the $80 off my Visa and have given me absolutely no service. They said my application is sitting in B.C. awaiting approval. They gave me the number and extension to phone 18007314000 ex 9530. There has to be some way of putting pressure on the Government. This system was supposed to be easier and is turning into a total joke.

dakoda62
07-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Dis the restricted course first week of May. Got the card on Monday July 15th, 10 days after expiration of my PAL.

Steeleco
07-18-2013, 09:51 AM
I just got mine this past Monday. Near 4 months. But as with all the other claims before mine. Nothing moved till the phone rang. I got a lady in New Brunswick that told me she was taking the overflow from the Surrey office. With the ending of the free long gun renewal, many people renewed early to save $60. I told her I paid my $80 3 months ago and would like my goods. 7 days later, that's what I got.

So as with the run on passports a few years back, there's going to be the same glut of renewals on PAL's in 5 more years.

mijinkal
07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I just got off the phone with them. It's been over 2 months since they received my application, I was told to call back in 2 weeks to check the status.
Hunting season is creeping up too fast!!

Hillbros_96
07-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Sent mine in first week of January, had all the interviews and sent off to Bc by mid-march and still yet to receive, so I am going to hit 8 months soon. May call in tommorow. Last time I called they had me on hold for a long time to transfer to bc office, got voicemail and I left a message but no call back. Do not really feel like sitting on the phone for another 45 minutes.

Steeleco
07-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Seems with these guys the "squeaky wheel" really get some grease. If you've the time, tell them tale. You may get good results.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
07-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Here are some tips for decreasing wait times for PAL/RPAL from High Calibre Service Corp. ~

"PAL & RPAL Tips To Speed Up Your Application

It is possible to shorten the time typically required for PAL approval. Even if you are not in a hurry, you should monitor your application. Waits of 4 and 5 months have been reported.

Once you have mailed in your PAL application (either first time or renewal), you can log into the CFC (Canadian Firearms Centre) website to check your application status.

It will usually not appear online for about two weeks after being received by the CFC.

One way to shorten this period is to send your application via registered mail (with the required reciept) so that you know when it is delivered to the CFC in Miramichi. Following receival by CFC (and before it appears online), you can phone the CFC to confirm delivery. It usually appears online the next day.

If you call the CFC line (1-800-731-4000), as you work your way through the options, you are advised that you should wait 45 days before making any inquiries. Don't pay attention to that if you want to move your application along.

There is another part of the message that says that there may be a delay if some info is missing, but "be assured you will be contacted by CFC staff". This is completely untrue. They will not contact you and ask for the missing info. They will send you a letter telling you to call in or your application will be cancelled; it won't tell you what info they require. That will add two weeks to your wait, because that is how long it will take them to get the letter issued.

If you are a first time applicant and face a 28 day waiting period, this does not mean that you need to wait 28 days before making any inquiries. Processing can occur during the 28 day period, so that on day 28 final approval can be granted.

The 28 day waiting period starts from the date the application is received by the CFC, not the date it appears online. (Staff at CFC may advise it is the online date, but this information is wrong.) The 28 day wait provision is statutory- it is specified in the Regulations to the Firearms Act. The time starts from the date the application is made, and that is the date that it is received by the CFC (not the date mailed). This is the practice the CFC follows.

If you are renewing a PAL or upgrading from a POL, there is no 28 day waiting period.

Once it is online, the application is in the “processing” stage, which means it is sitting there until someone at CFC reviews the application, looking for missing information. When that phase is complete, it is classified as “in progress” which means it is in a queue for someone to contact the applicant and references.

If any information is missing, your application gets put in another queue and sits until someone mails you a standard letter that indicates you must contact the CFC by a certain date or your application with be dropped. The process of sending this letter out can take 10 days plus another 4 or 5 for it to be delivered if you live in the West.

If you haven’t been contacted by CFC after a week or so in the processing stage, give them a call and inquire if there are any deficiencies or missing information. If there is a missed question, you can provide that missing information to them over the phone. They may then offer to transfer you to have an interview conducted on the spot. Again, you need to ignore the message that tells you not to check on the status of your application until 3 days have elapsed.

Once your phone interview is done, ask them for your file number and then have your references call in (toll free at 1-800-731-4000) with that file number to do their interviews.

After all the information is confirmed, and the interviews are complete, the CFC sends the application to the appropriate provincial CFO for approval.

If you live in Alberta, you can call them immediately (same toll free number as CFC), and inquire about the status. There is a good chance they will approve it over the phone. (Alberta CFO does not take calls on Wednesdays. That is processing day, so you plan around that if you can.]

For Ontario residents: You can send in your application before you get your stamped CFSC results back from the Ontario CFO, and get the 28 day waiting period started earlier than if you wait and attach the results to the application. Questions 20(a) and (b) each have a box to check in that say that the exam results are enclosed, so you would just leave that blank. It is probably also worthwhile to include a note to say that exam results will follow. The 28 day clock starts once the application is received by CFC. If you wait until you get your ‘stamped’ safety course report(s) back, you have added that to your waiting period.

Other Info:

Send in an original signed application, not a photocopy.

Use Form CAFC979 for a renewal of a PAL or POL.

Use Form CAFC 921 for a new PAL or if your PAL has expired

Form 921 requires exam results and two references which form 979 does not require, so make sure you renew with form 979 well before your PAL expires"

kurtl
02-27-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm not too sure if the situation has changed or not as no one has made any comments on here for quite awhile? I just challenged the PAL test on Feb. 25th (2 days ago) and sent my application in today via registered mail. I'm curious to see how long it will take! Hopefully they aren't as back logged as they were last year!

mike-juliet
02-28-2014, 09:03 AM
It can be anywhere from 28 days to god knows how long.

Phone on day 28 at 1-800-731-4000 and ask about the status.

Make sure you used references that they will be able to get a hold of.

While you are on the phone with them if you have not had your phone interview yet, ask if you can do it now while you are on the line.

When you finish that phone call ask for your application number and immediately phone your references, if they have not been interviewed have them phone quoting your application number and see if they can also do the phone interview at that time. If they have already been interviewed sit patiently and await your license.

Singleshotneeded
02-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Seeing as how they say it takes 45 days, but some folks like Edgy have had it take 127 days, it might be an idea to put your renewal in FIVE months ahead of the expiry date!! How long before the expiry date are you allowed to put in for your renewal? 45 days? :-D

coglark
03-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Got my PAL renewal today. Sent it out Aug 16 2013. Almost 6 months

Singleshotneeded
03-04-2014, 05:07 PM
OKAY, make that let's send it in 6 months before the due date...wow!

quaint bucket
03-04-2014, 05:18 PM
I only had to wait for like a month and a half. It came really fast, I was surprised.

I know someone who waited for a year and a half. :shock: Of course, this was in Ontario....

Singleshotneeded
03-04-2014, 05:26 PM
I wonder if you can get a renewal form and send it in 6 months before the expiry date...might be a prudent thing to do!

tim3500
03-04-2014, 06:09 PM
You guys are going to hate me but mine was 18 days ! no lie . Had it sitting on my desk at home it said send it in no less than 3 weeks to get it back in time and it arrived on the expirey date my Birthday Feb 28 sent on the 10th priority post. Happy Birthday to me .

SingleShot
03-04-2014, 06:17 PM
I wonder if you can get a renewal form and send it in 6 months before the expiry date...might be a prudent thing to do!

That's exactly what I did SSN. Applied for renewal about 8 months in advance. It took 43 days from arrival in Miramachi to get the fresh licence to my door. At that time my main motivation was getting the free renewal they were offering and which has since been dis-continued.

Singleshotneeded
03-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Oh perfect, where did you get the renewal form?

SingleShot
03-04-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm not good at posting links however all you have to do is : google RCMP 5614. That's the appropriate form number.

This will reveal the forms, choose a pdf file type and open it on your computer.

It is important to ensure you have the right form for renewal and the first page of form instructions will detail that it is for POL or PAL renewal.

You can fill the whole form out on the computer(less signature) and then print it and sign it. If it is a renewal you do not require any references. You will require a recent (new) picture and $60 of course. Cheque, money order or visa are all good.

I always send these things by express post that require signature proving date of receipt in Miramachi. I also print a copy for myself and keep it on file just to cma. Any mistakes asyou know will slow down the process to a painful crawl.

I did enquire at the RCMP office and they do not carry the forms. You can also get them from anyone running the firearms safety course. Antler Creek would fix you up however I prefer typing info in on the downloadable pdf.

snow
03-05-2014, 08:29 AM
you can also check the status of your application online: http://www.rcmp.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/online_en-ligne/app_dem-eng.htm

Singleshotneeded
03-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks Singleshot...considering how all over the freaking place they are with these renewals, I'll send mine in 6 months early...and start calling in monthly after about 30 days...

SingleShot
03-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Personally, I never call them. If it stretched into 70 days or beyond I might. As snow pointed out you can check the application status on line. The way I see it is that if you happen to get someone on the phone and rub them the wrong way they could potentially cause real delays when your file "slips off the desk and behind the filing cabinet. Some people are best left alone as they have the capability to really mess up our lives if given even the smallest excuse. Pilots, border guards, flight attendants and firearms officials amongst others are all people I don't want to annoy. Biggest key is filling the forms out correctly, then they flow smoothly through the system.

I think its best to just let them do their thing. If you apply early enough it really makes no difference if it takes 6 weeks or 6 months. JMO.

Singleshotneeded
03-06-2014, 07:05 PM
That is true...though if you can't wait to check always make sure you're polite...applications getting misplaced is a bad thing!

Batou
03-06-2014, 08:27 PM
51 days from letter in the mail to license at my door. I didn't call or check online.

KM

lip_ripper00
03-07-2014, 06:21 PM
3 weeks from date sent to my hand, after all the stories I had herd I was getting ready to move some restricted stuff because I did'nt think I would have it in time.

DavidGInNewWest
03-10-2014, 03:16 PM
I took my firearms course in late December, 2013, and sent my application off the next week. They logged it as arriving December 27th, 2013.

I checked online, but the system couldn't find my application, so I called several times. It finally appeared in early February.

Only one of my references was called - I used my mother-in-law, and father-in-law, as I suspected they wanted to verify there was no history of (or concern about) domestic violence, and who better to use than your wife's parents.

I called again last week, indicating only one reference had been called, I was put on hold for a couple of minutes, and then told my license was approved, and it would be here soon.

I checked the RCMP PAL status page today, and it said my license should be here in the next couple of weeks.

So about 12 weeks, depending on when it arrives. And I should note that I forgot to put my height and eye-colour on the application form, and that delayed things by a few weeks.

john.b
03-10-2014, 03:52 PM
The big thing is to have your references call as soon as they have officially received your application. Do not wait for them to send out letters. My pal/RPAL took 54 days and that is including the xmas holidays.

Bfortune1000
03-11-2014, 05:35 PM
mine took from September 21st to end of february

Ryanw
03-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Mine took 90 days. About a year ago. My gf sent hers in beginning of January had it it all done in 35 days to the door.

kurtl
04-02-2014, 09:30 AM
UPDATE: So today is day 28 since they have received my PAL application and they have processed payment on my Visa. Now I get to see how long the rest of the process will take!

madtrapper85
04-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Less then 30 days for me this year.

TPK
04-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Just got mine in the mail, about 35 days give or take ... after telling everyone I know to make sure to include your Range Membership if you have restricted firearms ... guess what I forgot? No worries, took a picture and E-mailed it in. This would only affect my ATT which won't expire until mid-May, so no panic. Not including it didn't hold up the PAL/RPAL renewal process at all.

kurtl
04-24-2014, 07:17 AM
The day before yesterday I phoned the 1-800 number and the lady looked up my file and said everything was good and it was at the provincial level. So yesterday I went to the local firearms office and the Firearms Officer took my I.D. and looked up my application and within about 5 minutes she approved it on the spot. So now it's "in the mail". Hopefully it comes quick. Bunny season is just about over!

kurtl
04-24-2014, 11:56 AM
My PAL application approval date yesterday was at 49 days since they received my application in Miramichi .

As many have said before the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The Firearms Officer did say they were still very behind on PAL applications and that most applications are being processed in months, not days.

VancouverSkiBum
04-24-2014, 02:09 PM
mid last year. My PAL took 160 days. no restricted, no calling. yikes!

SingleShot
04-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Sent two applications in by registered FedEx. They were received in Mirimachi Feb 24. One was my sons PAL and he had it back in 41 days. No reference calls made on the PAL. Other was a friends RPAL and I got the reference check call 45 days after delivery. Not sure how much longer the RPAL will be however it sounded like they are swamped.

mikeboehm
04-27-2014, 04:55 PM
I sent mine in april 10/2014. I hope I get mine before mine ecpires in august

Beachcomber
04-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Always worth calling when it gets close to the line. Mine took 4 months or so. A phone call followed by what seemed like an eternity on hold and I had it within the week. A bit of a prod is never a bad idea when dealing with government agencies.

kurtl
05-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Well the day has finally arrived. My PAL came in the mail today, so that made it 57 days from the day they received my application until it was in my hands.

VancouverSkiBum
05-01-2014, 05:46 PM
congrats! let the addiction begin.

SingleShot
05-07-2014, 07:54 PM
My friends RPAL took 71 days. Never held a licence of any sort before.

REMINGTON JIM
05-07-2014, 08:18 PM
My wifes renewal only took 6 weeks ! :) RJ

Pantharen
05-07-2014, 11:14 PM
I submitted my application May of 2013, and received my Pal February of 2014. 9 months was an awful long time to wait.. I sent my application in via Registered mail, it was in Miramichi 2 days after I mailed it.

biggyun68
05-11-2014, 05:16 PM
My wifes renewal only took 6 weeks ! :) RJ

Mine just took 4 weeks

Badlands62
05-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Mine takes about 10-14 days. Never had a problem yet.

clte
05-31-2014, 12:15 PM
I'll be doing my PAL for the first time around the end of June. Will update on times.

caddisguy
06-02-2014, 02:36 PM
The wait times always seemed fairly random. Mine doesn't expire until September, but I sent it off the renewal a couple of weeks ago just to be safe. Tracking shows it was delivered last week, but it still just shows my 2009 renewal online. I'll give them a call in a month or so if there hasn't been an update.

The Hermit
06-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks for this thread. My R-Pal doesn't expire till Dec 27 but I sent in my application for renewal by registered mail, including a copy of my range membership, today. That will give them almost 7 months, hopefully it will arrive in time. Cheers

caddisguy
06-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Looks like they are on top of my renewal form even though it still doesn't show up online. Apparently I forgot a checkmark (oops!) and they just called me to confirm over the phone, then she fixed it up for me. Can't get much better than that. I don't think I'll have to worry about getting the new one back before the old one expires. I do think it's still good practice to send the renewals 4-6 months early though. I wouldn't want to miss out on any fall hunting.

Johnh
06-30-2014, 10:00 PM
I just got mine. It was about 50 days. They were pretty helpful when I called. Once you see the charge on your credit card, give them a call. Chances are they will just need to call your reference....but you can speed this up by having your reference call them ( just get your application number ). After my reference check it was about a week before it arrived in the mail.

caddisguy
07-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Just an update on my current renewal (license #3) I was a little optimistic that the federal worker pro-actively called me to confirm some information and let me know it was being sent to "the province" (CFO) ... that was at the beginning of the month (application was received on May 26th) but the status hasn't budged since. No reason for concern since it has until September, but if nothing has changed by July 28th I'll start calling. It expires a few days after opening day and I won't take a chance on missing out on any fall hunting.

Oddly enough, I received an "LTATT" in the mail that is valid until the license expires in a couple months. Just guessing, but though the status hasn't updated I suspect it's approved and they just sent me the 2 month "LTATT" while they make up the license to send along with the new LTATT.

Not sure why the renewals seem to take just as long as the initial applications since they don't typically call references or do applicant interviews. I always figured they just click a few buttons to run the name through a through databases like CPIC and FIPS but who knows.

SingleShot
07-02-2014, 10:55 AM
My renewal was the same. Went in the same envelope as a new applicants and mine was about 1 month longer in processing. I'm sure you will receive yours well before Sept.

ian745
07-21-2014, 08:11 PM
mine was 95 days from the day i passed my test till today when they told me it was approved, just have to wait for it to come in the mail now :)

caddisguy
07-22-2014, 02:12 PM
I called in about my renewal today. Quick call and they were able to renew it on the spot. I should have it in a couple weeks.

.30-06 camsavbc
07-28-2014, 08:17 PM
I mailed my renewal on April 14 and got it back 61 days later on June 13 here on Vancouver Island.

wlbc
07-29-2014, 02:34 PM
270 days for mine.

clte
08-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Well I got charged 6 days ago so I will get a reference to call in.

clte
11-06-2014, 06:15 PM
!!! So I gave the gov until last week and still hadn't heard since being charged for license at the end of July.

They pushed through the processing and I got it today. So took about 4 months or so.

yuriy
11-06-2014, 06:55 PM
I did my course on Sept 6th, and had my license the last week of October. Give or take, 50-55 days. Pretty sure my references weren't contacted (neither mentioned anything).

clte
11-12-2014, 01:21 AM
I did my course on Sept 6th, and had my license the last week of October. Give or take, 50-55 days. Pretty sure my references weren't contacted (neither mentioned anything).

Restricted or Non-Res yuriy?

When I called the gov on mine they said they only check references for restricted.

The Hermit
11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks for this thread. My R-Pal doesn't expire till Dec 27 but I sent in my application for renewal by registered mail, including a copy of my range membership, today. That will give them almost 7 months, hopefully it will arrive in time. Cheers

As per the quoted post made June 2, 2014 (when I sent my application in) as I still hadn't received my RPAL renewal as of today (Nov 12) I thought I'd better call them... it has been sitting in a pile at the CFO for BCs' office with a note attached saying they needed to confirm what, if any, restricted firearms that I currently own. The pleasant woman took that information over the phone and came back in two minutes saying my license has now been approved and that I should receive it within a week or so.

I feel badly for these folks as they must be terribly over-worked and stressed out... I don't believe that many public servants create extra work or slow things down on purpose and trust that they like most people want to take pride in their efforts everyday. Based on some of the comments from the haters here it is little wonder we (Canadians) have a hard time attracting honest qualified hard working politicians and public servants!

yuriy
11-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Restricted or Non-Res yuriy?

When I called the gov on mine they said they only check references for restricted.

Non-restricted.

I did the course with a buddy and he sent off his paperwork within a day or two of me, and interestingly enough, he's still waiting for his. And our cheques were cashed around the same date, too.

ajr5406
11-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Non-restricted.

I did the course with a buddy and he sent off his paperwork within a day or two of me, and interestingly enough, he's still waiting for his. And our cheques were cashed around the same date, too.

How how long from the time your credit card was charged till you received your PAL? Been waiting 4 weeks since then...

yuriy
11-13-2014, 04:00 PM
How how long from the time your credit card was charged till you received your PAL? Been waiting 4 weeks since then...

About 1.5 weeks for me. Buddy's cheque cleared at the same time and he's still waiting for his (close to 4 week now?). I've no idea why I got mine quicker. Perhaps it's because I have a Nexus pass and the government has more info on (or trust with) me? Who knows...

Cdn-Redneck
11-13-2014, 06:49 PM
I just upgraded my POL to a PAL the first week of Oct so hopefully it arrives soon, my cheque hasn't been cashed yet.

ajr5406
11-13-2014, 08:30 PM
About 1.5 weeks for me. Buddy's cheque cleared at the same time and he's still waiting for his (close to 4 week now?). I've no idea why I got mine quicker. Perhaps it's because I have a Nexus pass and the government has more info on (or trust with) me? Who knows...

Interesting...

i I have a nexus pass too and also had to submit a federal criminal record check from Australia as I haven't lived in Canada for 5 years yet.

Maybe be that's the hold up: Too much information!

ajr5406
11-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Is there a number you can call one its in the BC office? Mines now with the CFO and has been for about 4 weeks. Should I try and call?

clte
11-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Is there a number you can call one its in the BC office? Mines now with the CFO and has been for about 4 weeks. Should I try and call?

If they charged you for it already then yes I would. I don't know what the BC # is but if you call the RCMP one @ 1-800-731-4000 they can transfer you to BC.

Faw
03-27-2015, 12:44 PM
How's everyone doing with PAL now? I sent in my PAL on February 17th, and it appeared online about a month later, saying they received it on Feb 23rd. My CC was charged on March 18th. Originally I was hoping I would receive it in time for the gun show here in Penticton on April 11th, but unless it is mailed by the end of next week that won't be happening. It's really disillusioning lol. Might have to go the Kamloops show instead I guess.

ajr5406
03-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Mine took about 3 months. I called the BC office and spoke to someone and it was approved over the phone. Once your CC is debited and its been over the required 49 days or what ever of being"in process", start calling.

Faw
03-30-2015, 03:34 PM
My buddy and I applied at the exact same time. They received ours on the same day. His shipped today and mine is still in limbo. They said they had difficulty contacting my references. Last time I checked, they don't check references for PAL only RPAL, and I asked my references and neither one said they had been called.
They said it is on its way to the next step which is attaching my photo. Here's hoping!

Good2bCanadian
03-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Just sent in my restricted pal renewal this morning.
It is due the end of June, so hopefully the timing works.

At least my pal will be valid thru the bear season.

Angus
03-30-2015, 03:47 PM
I accidentely let mine expire (D'oh!) and had to submit an application for a new one rather than a renewal. Sent it in in early Feb, and just got it on Friday, so about seven weeks. That's not too bad considering the mail service in FSJ!

TGofers
04-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Applied in Nov 14. Received in office and online nov 22. PAL received Feb 20th... Still waiting of RPAL.

Faw
04-07-2015, 02:25 PM
cripes that's like 3 months.
My buddy and I applied at the same time and his was shipped out last week. Mine is still "completed initial processing."
I called today and they said they are just attaching the photo to the application so I have no idea how long that takes.

Tomanik2700
04-07-2015, 02:27 PM
It can take 1-6 months on average.

Faw
04-07-2015, 02:53 PM
lol that's no random at all. I didn't apply for an RPAL, just a PAL. I would expect it should be shipping this week or next. I hope. I'm getting impatient.

mainland hunter
04-07-2015, 08:15 PM
I'm at 10 months for my renewal. Pretty frustrated.

Faw
04-08-2015, 09:06 AM
ugh that is so bad. My buddy's took literally 44 days to his door. Not fair lol.

pukakoe
04-08-2015, 08:41 PM
I'm at 10 months for my renewal. Pretty frustrated.
Phone them. If you are RPAL and didn't send your club info they will just sit on it and wait or you to call.

mainland hunter
04-08-2015, 10:12 PM
I've called 6 times, they've told me to expect up to a year

Gamebuster
04-08-2015, 11:29 PM
I've called 6 times, they've told me to expect up to a year

Pal or rpal? That's ridiculous

VanIsleCam
04-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Mainland, I had a long wait for my PAL as well.

I suggest that you make a habit of recording the date of your calls and what you were told. Then prepare a fax detailing your efforts and why the delay has caused you hardship; for example, having to pass on an LEH hunt for which you drew a tag, or having to rely on friends to come butcher animals if you have a farm. These examples are specific to my case.
During your phone contacts confirm that "data capture" has occurred (the application is complete) and that your file has been assigned to an examiner in your province (I was asked whether I wanted my application assigned to an examiner!).
Of note, the BCCFO is funded by the federal government. My fax to the BCCFO went no where but sending the same fax to the supervisor in NB finally got results. In addition, there is no recourse under the Firearms Act to speed up the process: you can not apply to court to have your application processed but you can challenge whether an examiners decision to refuse your application was reasonable.
Basically stay courteous and precise - keep emotion out of it. Do not conflate a right with a privilege - your PAL is a privilege in Canada as opposed to a constitutional right in the US. Patience is key particularly if your application has flags that may complicate its adjudication. If you can show you have acted reasonably and have a record of your contacts with the CFO you are least in a position to show that they have been sitting on their hands. Delay likely has no bearing on an application to review an examiner's decision in court excepting when hardship can be shown.
Hang in there!
All the best,
VanIsleCam

Beartracker
04-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Sent my renewal for my pal online and recieved it within 12 days...much quicker to renew online as they get there money and the info they need right away! For everybodys information and beliveve it or not it is not good to call them too many times as this will just get their back up and will not want to help you in the future! Once you have made an account with the Canadian Firearms Centre a person can check the status of their pal at anytime.

Wild one
04-12-2015, 06:43 AM
There is no consistency to the wait times seen as fast as 2 months and also up to a year. When I phoned in about my PAL I asked the lady about this and her response was I have no idea why wait times are all over the place for those with no infractions. Only guess she had was there is no order and they are worked on basically random.

smallfry14
04-12-2015, 10:18 AM
Sent my renewal for my pal online and recieved it within 12 days...much quicker to renew online as they get there money and the info they need right away! For everybodys information and beliveve it or not it is not good to call them too many times as this will just get their back up and will not want to help you in the future! Once you have made an account with the Canadian Firearms Centre a person can check the status of their pal at anytime.

Hey beartracker can you post some links to the site you used? Can you do it to get your pal for the first time or renewals only?

edit: nervmind, found it all

Rob
04-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Phone them. If you are RPAL and didn't send your club info they will just sit on it and wait or you to call.

I didn't see where they were asking for this on the form..?

Faw
04-13-2015, 10:34 PM
Mine was finally issued on Friday. Hoping to see it this week. So that would be 47 days to issued online, and I'm expecting a Thursday delivery which would be 53 days to my door. Not bad. I called about once per week after it appeared online. I got many conflicting stories when I called though. One lady told me they had trouble contacting one of my references and that was the reason for the wait. Then I asked my references and they both said nobody had contacted them. Then a week later I call and the guy said they don't contact references for non-restricted.

gmachine19
04-28-2015, 05:44 PM
So I sent my application on March 11 and one of my references said that they were called last 3 weeks ago. When I called in on Monday, the CFP said that they were just waiting for my references. So I asked for a file number and had one of my reference call them ASAP. I told the lady that I talked to that one of my references has been called already. She said there was no note that my reference was called. It's so weird that they would say that because I remember my buddy calling me right after he was called. Did someone drop the ball on their office??

The good thing is, when i asked the lady if everything was in order, she said that as soon as they get ONE reference (i applied for restricted too), they are gonna send it in to wait for approval. How long would that wait time be? if anyone knows that would be great. I do plan on calling them once every week cuz for some reason, my application is not showing up online.

Bear Brawler
04-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Mine expires in August and I filled it out online. Wonder what my wait times gonna be.

russm
04-28-2015, 06:23 PM
My dad just did his renewal online and it only took about a week and a half to get back.

Riverbc
04-29-2015, 07:17 AM
My dad just did his renewal online and it only took about a week and a half to get back.
I renewed mine on line a few weeks ago, and I got my PAL in the mail exactly two weeks later.

Ranger95
04-29-2015, 07:38 AM
My dad did his renewal (electronically) - took 10 days

my younger brother has been waiting six months for his Pal - when we call some clown tells us it's on its way but never seems to make it into an envelope let alone the mail!

drakfero
05-04-2015, 08:22 PM
everybody would do that online if to pay would be easier..not everybody wants to make an account for online banking , definately not me after we got stolen 3K from our account. credit card payment would make it way easier..

coach
05-04-2015, 08:56 PM
everybody would do that online if to pay would be easier..not everybody wants to make an account for online banking , definately not me after we got stolen 3K from our account. credit card payment would make it way easier..

I did mine online and paid with a credit card.. received a new PAL in the mail within 10 days.

russm
05-04-2015, 09:28 PM
My dad paid his with a visa sitting in a Tim hortons lol

Harvest the Land
05-12-2015, 07:24 PM
They received both mine and my wife's PAL applications on January 6th, 2015. Processed the payments from our credit cards on January 18th, 2015. Wife got hers on February 12th and I'm still waiting for mine. Called in a couple of times and finally about 2 weeks ago, the lady in New Brunswick finally asked me if I wanted to be transferred to the BC CFO office - ha! They never offered me that option before. Anyway, lady at BC CFO put me on hold for about 5 minutes, then came back and said they were putting my application under review. Why the heck weren't they reviewing my application for the past 4 months? Just checked the mail and still no PAL. I did have a DUI in 1999 and was a bit of a juvenile delinquent in my teens (20 years ago), but never did anything violent to anyone ever. Feel like I'm getting the shaft!

gmachine19
05-13-2015, 03:10 PM
I've been calling them once every week now. They told me that my license is currently at BC CFO waiting for approval. Don't know how long it'll take for them to approve mine. I got no record of anything. Not even a parking ticket lol!

Anyone know if I could talk to BC CFO and maybe speed along the process or should I just sit and wait "patiently?"

They got my application on March 11 btw...

Island Idiots
05-13-2015, 03:29 PM
I've been calling them once every week now. They told me that my license is currently at BC CFO waiting for approval. Don't know how long it'll take for them to approve mine. I got no record of anything. Not even a parking ticket lol!

Anyone know if I could talk to BC CFO and maybe speed along the process or should I just sit and wait "patiently?"

They got my application on March 11 btw...

See my post in Lucky1's thread. Call the bc cfo.

elch jager
05-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Seems that the missing info in almost all of the posts here is 'which boxes did you tick'?... Each undesirable tick will kick off further scrutiny. It is probable that they cross reference to their data sources and anything that is inconsistent with what they already know about you will get scrutinized further. Each time something gets their attention it gets pulled out of the easy pile and put into the 'deal with it later' pile. Even though you may be cleared of all charges or no longer on probation or haven't bin in the drunk tank or taken a swing at someone in a long time.... these things will surface and will cause a delay as they do their due diligence.

Someone with a legible application and a squeaky clean profile - no negative criminal data, no prior spouse within 2 yrs and no missing info... should get an optimal turnaround time. I am as pure as the driven snow, with several RCMP background checks done over the past 10 years for all the volunteer work I do with kids... Last year, with my POL it was under 3 weeks. I mailed my upgrade to PAL application yesterday and will report back when received. Theoretically my PAL should be as quick as it gets. (better be, I have Gun Acquisition Syndrome GAS all of a sudden)

Unless of course there is some random or not so random interference in the process... maybe only two people processing applications and when one goes on vacation, wait times double... If the BC CFO has to look at the application as well, it will be dependent on their schedule... I am sure they are doing a hundred other things that would be considered a higher priority that a PAL app.

lucky1
05-14-2015, 11:10 AM
Seems that the missing info in almost all of the posts here is 'which boxes did you tick'?... Each undesirable tick will kick off further scrutiny. It is probable that they cross reference to their data sources and anything that is inconsistent with what they already know about you will get scrutinized further. Each time something gets their attention it gets pulled out of the easy pile and put into the 'deal with it later' pile. Even though you may be cleared of all charges or no longer on probation or haven't bin in the drunk tank or taken a swing at someone in a long time.... these things will surface and will cause a delay as they do their due diligence.

Someone with a legible application and a squeaky clean profile - no negative criminal data, no prior spouse within 2 yrs and no missing info... should get an optimal turnaround time. I am as pure as the driven snow, with several RCMP background checks done over the past 10 years for all the volunteer work I do with kids... Last year, with my POL it was under 3 weeks. I mailed my upgrade to PAL application yesterday and will report back when received. Theoretically my PAL should be as quick as it gets. (better be, I have Gun Acquisition Syndrome GAS all of a sudden)

Unless of course there is some random or not so random interference in the process... maybe only two people processing applications and when one goes on vacation, wait times double... If the BC CFO has to look at the application as well, it will be dependent on their schedule... I am sure they are doing a hundred other things that would be considered a higher priority that a PAL app.
I know my record is clean and I write legibly and I've been waiting since march 22nd so I think your theory isn't so sound. I'm waiting for a renewal.

FourOhs
06-02-2015, 12:32 PM
I know my record is clean and I write legibly and I've been waiting since march 22nd so I think your theory isn't so sound. I'm waiting for a renewal.Ditto waiting for an expired renewal since submission on Mar 30th. According to their 45-day processing period claim, I should be able to expect it in less than two weeks, but so far I can't even find my application status online.

That leads me to a question I was going to post in a new thread, but this seems like an appropriate place:

I know my legal name, and my birthdate, and I even know where I was born. But does the "Birthplace" field require a specific format when you're querying your PAL status? E.g. "Victoria", "VICTORIA", "Victoria, BC", "VICTORIA, BC", or does it matter? I think I've tried all four of those options and I still can't get a status update. For the record, my CC was billed 6 days ago, which I take as a good sign.

I should just phone the CFO's office for an update, but it seems like bugging them with phone calls will just exacerbate the delays we're all frustrated by.

FourOhs
06-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Phoned and got an update. I still don't know why I can't log in and check without taking up their time, mind you. They've taken my payment, and entered my name and address. That's as far as they've gotten. She suggested I could call back in 3-4 weeks to get an application #, which I could give to one of my references, and have them call in with my application # to expedite that part of the process.

It sounds like they're under a considerable backlog, like many people are trying to get their PALs right now. Although, I also sense (from here and elsewhere) that this backlog is systemic.

Harvest the Land
06-05-2015, 09:15 PM
Phoned and got an update. I still don't know why I can't log in and check without taking up their time, mind you. They've taken my payment, and entered my name and address. That's as far as they've gotten. She suggested I could call back in 3-4 weeks to get an application #, which I could give to one of my references, and have them call in with my application # to expedite that part of the process.

It sounds like they're under a considerable backlog, like many people are trying to get their PALs right now. Although, I also sense (from here and elsewhere) that this backlog is systemic.

Actually you can "log in and check" if you go here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/online_en-ligne/app_dem-eng.htm

They received my application on January 6th and I'm still waiting. I check online quite frequently and call once per month to get an update because they will only transfer you to the BC CFO once every 30 days. But last time I called I was told that there has been some "progress" on my file and to check back next month.

I feel your pain is all I'm saying!

FourOhs
06-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Actually you can "log in and check" if you go here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/online_en-ligne/app_dem-eng.htm

They received my application on January 6th and I'm still waiting. I check online quite frequently and call once per month to get an update because they will only transfer you to the BC CFO once every 30 days. But last time I called I was told that there has been some "progress" on my file and to check back next month.

I feel your pain is all I'm saying!Actually, I can't log in and check. That's what I said in the first of two posts above yours. :) Either I don't know my name, or my birthdate, or my city of birth. I can't get in.

gmachine19
06-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Try calling them and tell them why you can't check your online stuff. Same thing happened to me and I called them why. Apparently on my place of birth i put the word city ex: Blah City. With space too! Now I can check it every week.

reach
06-06-2015, 11:59 AM
I recently renewed online and it was in my hand in 8 days. I answered "no" to all the "do you have any reason to murder someone" questions.

jack the bear
06-07-2015, 04:26 PM
i was worried mine is due in july so i downloaded application form off computer and sent all in money pic ect. on april 6 they mailed my new one back on may 4 got it on may10 i was pretty pleased

elch jager
06-08-2015, 01:23 PM
I mailed my upgrade to PAL application yesterday and will report back when received. Theoretically my PAL should be as quick as it gets.

Mailed May 13th, Received by RCMP May 19th... in process, no updates as of June 8th. Average of 45 days turnaround stated on webpage.

smallfry14
06-11-2015, 12:12 PM
My application for a minors pal got to mirimichi on April 22. As soon as the 28 day waiting period was up I called their office and asked about the status of my application, and they told me it was already at the BC CFO office. I told them I needed it for employment so the lady said she'd ask someone (can't remember who, CFO maybe?) to put a rush on it. I received my Pal in the mail on June 8th. I suppose it's different because I need it for employment but it was rather quick and painless for me, even with white out on half of the boxes in my application.

Gs31
07-21-2015, 03:25 PM
I renewed my PAL online and received it in record time, only 13 days later. (But that was before the hackers shut the site down.)

gmachine19
07-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Lol u lucky guys. They got my application on March 11 and I'm still waiting for my damn license! I don't think I'm gonna get my license in time for the hunting season. Heck I probably won't get a license at all!

henderson
07-21-2015, 04:45 PM
I renewed online on a Tuesday night, got it back the following Wednesday. No word of a lie. I thought they were sending something to say my photo was declined or what have you but nope. Surprised the hell out of me.

07-21-2015, 05:00 PM
I renewed online on a Tuesday night, got it back the following Wednesday. No word of a lie. I thought they were sending something to say my photo was declined or what have you but nope. Surprised the hell out of me.

Similar story, any one reading this thread who doesn't renew on line after reading about short hassle free turn around times, have no one to blame but them selves. I don't applaud the gov't often ( never if l recall correctly) but they do seem to have gotten their shit together for the one line applicant in this case.

ian745
07-21-2015, 05:05 PM

Harvest the Land
07-21-2015, 07:51 PM
They received my application in Miramichi on January 6th. Just got my PAL card in the mail yesterday (July 20th). Pretty stoked!

Muliechaser
07-21-2015, 08:25 PM
I sent mine jan 2nd .. got my new PAL jan 19th . Very Surprized at how fast it was and that was by paper form not online .

Mc

FourOhs
07-21-2015, 08:29 PM
There is clearly a ginormous difference in wait times (and process) between a new application and any type of renewal. Ugh.

... Speaking of which, is anyone else getting an error message while trying to log in to check their own PAL application status?

>Secure Connection Failed
>
>An error occurred during a connection to www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)
>
> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
> Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Aaaaand... I just remembered that Anonymous was threatening "revenge" on the RCMP. And here it is:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rcmp-websites-down-as-anonymous-vows-to-avenge-dawson-creek-death-1.3159400

ian745
07-22-2015, 09:44 AM
edit ..just tried, and it worked, my rpal status has completed inital processing and is in progress now

There is clearly a ginormous difference in wait times (and process) between a new application and any type of renewal. Ugh.

... Speaking of which, is anyone else getting an error message while trying to log in to check their own PAL application status?

>Secure Connection Failed
>
>An error occurred during a connection to www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca (http://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca). SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)
>
> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
> Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Aaaaand... I just remembered that Anonymous was threatening "revenge" on the RCMP. And here it is:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rcmp-websites-down-as-anonymous-vows-to-avenge-dawson-creek-death-1.3159400

FourOhs
07-22-2015, 11:19 AM
edit ..just tried, and it worked, my rpal status has completed inital processing and is in progress now
And I just tried again, and this time it's a different error message even earlier in the process. I can't even load the welcome page for the PAL status check now. Anonymous is back at their shenanigans, it would seem. ("Error: Empty response") It would seem they're DDOSing the RCMP servers or something.

There were instances where I was sympathetic to, even if not actually supportive of, some Anonymous causes. Now that they're indiscriminately interfering with Joe Average, not just the RCMP, I'm feeling less sympathetic.

FourOhs
07-22-2015, 01:42 PM
So I finally got logged in, and the status was exactly the same as a month ago. I phoned in to see what the hold-up was. Apparently they phoned both my references exactly a week ago but, like me, they both screened the unknown number, and the CFC didn't leave voicemail in either case. They've sent a letter to my first reference but, pre-empting that, I've asked my other reference (with whom I work) to phone in with my application number to give the reference check pro-actively. (This was encouraged by the information officer I spoke with the second time I phoned in way back when.) Hopefully this will grease the wheels and get things moving.

OutdoorDave
07-23-2015, 09:42 AM
My application arrived June 22nd, so I'm 31 days into my application now. No references called yet to my knowledge.

I'm hoping to do a hunt early September so it's looking tight.

FourOhs
07-23-2015, 10:02 AM
My application arrived June 22nd, so I'm 31 days into my application now. No references called yet to my knowledge.

I'm hoping to do a hunt early September so it's looking tight.
I'd suggest doing like the CFC suggested to me: Look up/ask for your application #, give that and the CFC phone number (1-800-731-4000, menu prompts are 1, 5, then 2) to one of your references and ask them to call in to give your reference check rather than waiting for the call to come to them.

FourOhs
07-29-2015, 02:21 PM
My reference phoned in just before lunch today, and now:

Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canadian Firearms Program Toll Free number.

Woohoo!

FourOhs
08-06-2015, 01:57 PM
My wife just e-mailed to say I have an envelope from the RCMP with a card inside waiting for me at home.

http://stepforums.bethany.org/images/smilies/icon_happydance.gif

ian745
08-06-2015, 08:20 PM
i called today and they were ready for my reference to call, he`s gonna call tomorrow, fingers crossed that it goes quick after that!

ian745
08-07-2015, 04:23 PM
reference called in at 4pm bc time today, and 4:15 online thing says license has been issued, june 18th i challenged the rpal, they received it june 24th, and it was issued today so 45 days from challenge of the rpal till it was issued for me

gmachine19
08-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Application Number: 10 - xxxxxxxxxx - 05
Application Received on: 2015/03/11
Current Status: Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.

I don't get it. My application is still in process. Every time I ask them if there is something wrong with my application, they always say that nothing is wrong with it. September is coming fast and I think I might miss out this season :(. hmmm...I'll probably just call them everyday from now on 'till they get tired of me...

chwhittak
08-18-2015, 07:33 PM
I submitted mine for renewal May 5th...got here August 6th. Just a tad over 45 days!

BigD_83
11-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I sent my PAL application (first PAL) in by registered mail, signed for at the RCMP detachment on October 19th. I phoned in yesterday (November 3rd, 2 weeks + a day) to confirm receipt as nothing had shown up. Spoke with a pleasant individual on the other end who told me it would probably be another two weeks before they got to applications from that reception date.

NauticallyInclined
11-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Sent mine in via register mail in August, was recieved four days later. Had my reference call in after my cheque came out for payment and got it in the mail early October.

BigD_83
11-16-2015, 11:53 AM
I sent my PAL application (first PAL) in by registered mail, signed for at the RCMP detachment on October 19th. I phoned in yesterday (November 3rd, 2 weeks + a day) to confirm receipt as nothing had shown up. Spoke with a pleasant individual on the other end who told me it would probably be another two weeks before they got to applications from that reception date.

My application showed up online 26 days after it was delivered to the New Brunswick office- it shows as "In Progress". I am pleased it showed the proper date of reception. The message back is that a properly filed application takes approximately 45 days to process. I hope that means from the date received, and not from the day it shows up as "In Process".

jconn
11-18-2015, 05:31 PM
I mailed my application around July 20, received on the 30th (showed up online much later, not sure of the date - maybe 2nd or 3rd week of August). Just received my card in the mail on November 10. I just applied for non-restricted PAL, filled out my application properly etc. took 103 days from the day the received. References were not contacted.

Frango
11-18-2015, 07:10 PM
I just got my new PAL in the mail today.I went online 7 days ago and filled out the form. Now that is wonderfull service from the RCMP.

BigD_83
11-19-2015, 11:13 AM
My application showed up online 26 days after it was delivered to the New Brunswick office- it shows as "In Progress". I am pleased it showed the proper date of reception. The message back is that a properly filed application takes approximately 45 days to process. I hope that means from the date received, and not from the day it shows up as "In Process".

This was unexpected...

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa402/BigD_83GS650/Hunting%20BC/Screen%20Shot%202015-11-19%20at%2010.09.04%20AM.png (http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/BigD_83GS650/media/Hunting%20BC/Screen%20Shot%202015-11-19%20at%2010.09.04%20AM.png.html)

As far as I know, my references were never called, and I didn't phone in. Is this some kind of a record for a new application or what? Total time from date of reception to issuance of license, 31 days.

License in hand 38 days after reception.

almostalaska25
12-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Sent away October 26th received card in mail December 3rd. First pal

Daybreak
12-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Rumour has it that the Feds want more people armed in light of current affairs.:lol:

Beaves84
12-08-2015, 10:06 PM
I sent mine in at the end of Sept as we moved in august and i kind of forgot to boot my Bdays in early november, doughead... Finally got ot on the 4th of December after my wife whom I married in May got some registered mail from the rcmp asking if she knew bout my firearms lic applicaton she called on the 2nd

So lesson is fill out in entirety and if your spousal status change have them sign it as well......

samwyse
12-14-2015, 02:19 PM
I received my PAL and Restricted in, 30 some days. I did call in quite a bit, because I had checked the wrong box to get my Restricted. Squeaky wheels get the grease! (At least this time, sometimes they get taken off the axle).

allan
12-14-2015, 02:50 PM
renewed my restricted pal. Sent it away online Sept 25, After 45 days I called to check on progress. I forgot to send a copy of my Shooting Club membership. I sent that away online as well asap. And had my renewed pal in my hands three weeks later. If I hadn't screwed up i'm sure it would have been under 45 days.

p0stij
02-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Just recieved mine a month back. I submitted the papers April 2013. 33 months for mine to show up. So if your wait time seems long dont get discouraged, eventually the beauraucrats may pull their heads from their rears and make it happen. I should add it was initially submitted in Alberta, changed my address to B.C. in August 2015 and the CFO here is the one who approved it.

p0stij
02-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Also I am a liscenced pyrotechnician and was cleared by CSIS to operate explosives directly overhead of the prime minister... all the while waiting for a simple PAL.

bc sportsman
02-03-2016, 03:49 PM
They received my hard copy application on Nov 20th. Just checked and my licensed was just been mailed to me. So, 76 days...considering it was over Christmas, not bad.

DeepJeep
03-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Hi all,

I have been eagerly waiting for my PAL and I finally got it approved (took 46 days). So I thought I share my experience with the process:

- Mailed my new application late Jan/16
- Online status said - received on Feb 05/16
- I asked my reference to call in Mar 09/16
- After this the status said that my application was now forwarded to provincial firearms officer

I waited 45 days and called today. The first representative didn't give me anything. All I wanted to know was how long the provincial waiting times are. I was courteous and referred to the website but was told that "its just a waiting game".
So I call again after 10 minutes and get a different representative. Tell her the same thing i.e. it being over 45 days and the website mentioning that if we don't hear anything in 45 days then call and ask for the reason. Anyways, she said that its in provincial firearm officer's hands and they don't have control over that. However, she decided to transfer my call to the provincial firearm officer's office. After about 20 minutes wait, I get someone (very nice person) and tell her everything. She goes away from her phone for another 15 minutes. Comes back and tells me that my license is approved. It will be printed in 1-2 days and then sent by mail.

My Learnings from this process (and for someone who is applying for the first time):
- Call after 45 days - Had I not called today, who knows how long it would have taken.
- Also, I should have asked my reference to call earlier. Call after 2 weeks to see if your reference can call in.
- Last but not least, fill out your application correctly. I triple checked mine.

So all together - I took me 46 days to get my license approved (restricted and non-restricted)

The status on my application stated- "Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued"

DS

NickR182
05-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Mailed mine off today, so playing the waiting game now. Applying for both Pal/RPal. Will update when i hear some news.

dmaxtech
05-13-2016, 11:57 PM
Got my PAL last year and decided to upgrade to RPAL. Took the course Feb 29, mailed it in on Mar 10th, payment processed Apr 1, reference was called Apr 29, and in my hand on May 4th. My brother in-law sent his PAL/RPAL a week later and got his today.

fireguy
05-20-2016, 10:31 PM
Sent mine in in May of 2015, got mine back in February 2016. Phone calls did nothing. Just kept saying they were backed up. Passport only took 7 days from dropping off to receiving in the mail.

NickR182
06-03-2016, 06:54 PM
So i had an email today saying to contact the firearms processing unit. I had missed a box on the forms which the guy filled in for me. Then he said that stage is complete so next step is either to wait whilst they contact one of my references (when they get to me on the pile) or get them to call in. So my buddy called and I'm not through to the final stage i guess. I have been checking the online updates for weeks with nothing and all of a sudden I'm in the system as completed initial processing and now in progress.

crazybushcreature
06-04-2016, 06:44 AM
When I applied a few years back it took 92 days for me to receive my pal.

NickR182
07-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Checked today and my application has been processed and License issued! So 51 days in total.

Stresd
07-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Did my renewal online a few weeks ago. New card arrived in the mail 14 days later.

250 sav
07-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Online renewal new card 18 days later

russm
07-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Did mine june 23 the wife had to talk to them to let them know im not crazy yesterday, renewal should be here in a couple days.

Rotorwash
08-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Mine was 101 days. Father in laws was a year. Mind you there was a small mistake on his paperwork but they never responded to let him know. It was only after calling he found out the error. After that it wad a few more months.

J_T
08-05-2016, 03:59 PM
My son filed a renewal. About 70 days. He just received it in the mail.

Stillhunting
08-05-2016, 04:02 PM
10 days for me, I wasn't expecting it so soon.

Arefeh87
08-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Just in process of taking my hunting course. Passed my Pal and rpal on the weekend and sent out my application on Monday Aug 15. Super excited about this whole new chapter of my life. I hope i can get it before the season ends(Fingers crossed).Thank you all for the great tips on how to speed up the process.

vkylev
08-23-2016, 07:36 AM
Rpal took me 9 months after I sent the mail because I had some mental health issues.

Arefeh87
09-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Super excited its Sept 19th and my pal is on it's way to mama! :wink: Exactly 28 day. This is the message i see on the website.

"Application Received on: 2016/08/22
Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canadian Firearms Program Toll Free number"

I'm ready to hit the road. Any advises for the first time hunter.

quadrakid
09-25-2016, 09:03 AM
i just renewed my pal and i received it in under two weeks.

orest.06
09-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Go with an experienced hunter to show u the ropes & learn how to avoid becoming ‘fastfood’ for Yogi bear!

Aaron600
09-02-2019, 05:39 PM
Renewed my PAL online. Took 2 weeks

Island Idiots
09-02-2019, 05:40 PM
Did it online had my pal in 2 weeks.

finngun
09-06-2019, 10:57 PM
my rpal expiring soon..new is issued but hasn,t get it yet..mailing time..maybe a week.. i was told i can't use my guns alone...with pal owner buddy yes...wanna go rifle range,,can i or not..? it takes more than 45 days..finnygun

Quiet Hunter
09-19-2019, 09:36 PM
I read an article saying there printer broke. so theres a big back log. My buddy has been waiting for 8 months now...Jeezz :( No extra printer or at least a guy that can fix it lol come on

KodiakHntr
09-20-2019, 08:36 AM
My renewal was less than a month...

Iron Glove
10-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Sent in by mail, July 20, picked up RPAL renewal today at Post Office.

silveragent
10-03-2019, 05:19 PM
One of my lady friends did her PAL in August and got her PAL in the mail this week.