PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars

wetcoasthunter
01-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Anyone have opinions on what binos would be a good buy, going to replace my crappy set with something that actually works well. Looked at some bushnells today, clear as a bell, very nice. Any ideas would be a help, thanks guys. Also, if anyone knows of a wall tent thats for sale let me know, preferably something used that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

270WIN
01-03-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a set of windy river 10 x 50 and just love them i think i spent 300.00 4 years ago for them and they are great

brotherjack
01-03-2007, 09:06 PM
For a roof prisim design, $400 is the bare minimum, and $500 and up is usually where the good glass lives. Bushnell Legend is where I would start as a minmum and go up the line from there. Cheap-o roof prisim binos will give you a headache - ask me how I know. :)

If $500 sounds like more than you can/want to spend, then all I would consider is a pair of porro prisim binoculars, such as the Bushnell Legend Porro Prisim line; again, the cheapest bino I can recommend as being decent. I have a pair of these in 8x42, and I rate them as very decent (and if you consider the price I paid buying a pair on eBay - I think they're pretty much the best buy in cheap binoculars).

SUAFOYT
01-03-2007, 09:08 PM
It's a jungle out there. A friend lent me his Leica compacts and they were the best I had ever tried, but sooo expensive. Optics to me are very personal. What works for one may seem lousy to another. When I was down in Van b4 Christmas I popped into MEC(I became a member before the granola crunchers thought it was trendy), and found a pair of Pentax 8x25 UCF WP. They're rubber coated, water proof not water resistant, with full lifetime warranty. The diopter adjustment is for each eye not just the one. They cost $96 which I thought was a pretty good buy. They have decent eye relief, are clear for me, and are better than average in low light. They will do me until I can justify the expense of the Leicas to the Minister of Finance(she who must be obeyed). I checked them out on the Pentax website right after I bought them and they weren't listed yet so are fairly new to the market. I think not a bad deal for a hundred bucks.

Kechika
01-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Mods I think this topic should be "Stickied" Keeps coming up every couple months or so

todbartell
01-03-2007, 09:21 PM
spend as much as you can afford, or save up until you can afford a pair of binoculars that usually sell for at least $400...also keep an eye out online for good deals

Steeleco
01-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I agree with Mr Bartell, but first you need to find a pair that fit you. I played with many a pair that were nice but didn't feel right in my hands. Once you find that out, go online. Binoculars Canada is a good site, also some screaming deals on optics on E-bay. If you can make it to the trade show in Abby in the coming months, you'll find lot of binos to play with and get an idea, maybe even a good deal??

MattB
01-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Ive been using Nikon Monarchs and they have worked well for me. All the good advice has already been stated.

Gateholio
01-04-2007, 12:37 AM
go to 24hrcampfire.com and look for "brst buys in binos"

I use leica Ultravd 10x42 now, and they are possibly the best binos I have ever looked through.

But there are very good binos for excellent deals these days.

tuchodi
01-04-2007, 08:46 AM
There has been many good posts about Bino's and as a lot of people say it is a personal choice but for one thing buy as good a pair as you can afford. If it is possible for you to make it over to the Abby show like Steeleco said, there are lots there to look through and then you can make a better decision. To everyone going to the show as a fairly new member to this site I hope we might get our new Hunting BC cap's that way people can introduce themselfs to each other.

Caveman
01-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm with MattB, I've got a pair of Monarchs and really like them

Fisher-Dude
01-04-2007, 10:10 AM
The best deal is to buy a pair of Zeiss, Swaros, or Leicas. Because mark my words, you're gonna end up buying 5 pairs of crap for $400/each if you don't spend $2,000 for a pair that will last your lifetime. And with the crap, you can't see anything, you wreck your eyes, and you walk around a lot more trying to get close enough to a white stump only to find it's not a deer's ass. Do it once, do it right, save your money, and hunt smarter/better with the right equipment.

Rainwater
01-04-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm with FishDude, do it right the first time. For bowhunting I have a small pair of the compact Leupolds since they first came out, more than 15 years and they are still perfect. I would buy Zeiss if I could now for a bigger set.

dougan
01-04-2007, 03:06 PM
best bang for your buck has to be windy river 10x50 all my buddys got some after trying mine.if you have lots of coin sorry for the spelling svorvski binos are probobly the best.

Elkhound
01-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Carson optics the xm-042HD model (10x42)
http://www.carson-optical.com/full.html

Check out an independant study
http://www.carson-optical.com/Light.html

My one buddy compares the optics to his Swarovskis and my other buddy put his zeiss binos
away. I kid you not. so me and 4 others have put them through the ringer to test them for 2 yrs now. So far so good. Optics are incredible. will they last forever, who knows but I didn't have to pay $2200.00 for swarovskis like my pal did.

dirtyharry
01-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Steiner

They are the lueopold of binos. and you don't have to focus them. You just set them to your eyes and they are good at any distance. I use the 8x56 and they are amazing. They have these little eye cups that wrap around your eye so no light gets in but you dont have to jam the lenses up against your eyes. Worth at least checking out before buying other types.

Rob