PDA

View Full Version : Cattle Ranchers Fight Back

Ridge-Runner
10-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Here is a tidbit of information on how some of the farming community from our Prairie Provinces are dealing with American hunters. I can't really blame them, "if our beef is no good, our wildlife shouldn't be either."
Should be interesting to see how this one plays out?

Prairie farmers target U.S. hunters in mad-cow protest
September 10, 2004
Globe and Mail
A1
Graeme Smith
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040910.wxfarmers0910/BNStory/National/
Winnipeg — Western Canadian farmers have, according to this story, started to take out their frustration over the mad-cow crisis on American hunters, and that black-and-white rectangular placards started appearing on fence posts and mailboxes across the prairies over the past few days declaring, "No American hunters allowed due to BSE. Your unfair trade in beef and wheat by your government has led to these actions."
The story says that as fall hunting season begins, some farmers in Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are threatening to bar American hunters from collecting the annual bounty of deer, ducks and geese from their fields.
One farmer has already towed away hunters' vehicles to make his point, and others warn they're prepared to follow through with the threat written on their new signs: "Violators will be prosecuted."
It's a spontaneous protest, not sponsored by major agricultural groups and vehemently opposed by the tourism industry.

Could be a real good time to hunt the Prairies if your a Canadian?

Cheers, RR

Steeleco
10-05-2004, 07:17 PM
It's good that they're making a point. But, I fear that they may be using the wrong group to make it on though. Send them (hunters) way this year and they may never come back. I'm not sure but I would think that our American hunting frinds bring plenty of money to the smaller communties where it is most likely much needed. I'm sure some of the members on this board that live up north will have more info. Also Welcome to HBC, you'll like it here. :wink:

bone-collector
10-05-2004, 10:17 PM
I agree with steel here, attacking hunters , especialy big money clients is bad buisness, not only will it not help the beef market but will kill guide outfitters in there areas, kind of a selfish act IMHO, but hey let the hunters come to BC we arent fussy about it as long as the money is good :D

Ridge-Runner
10-06-2004, 06:35 AM
I definately see your point, there no use try to bring down another industry in Canada, for the sake of using another as a pawn. But with that said, I feel the frustation that are cattle ranchers, soft wood lumber industry, etc... and in the near future the renegotiation of the Columbia River treaty. It always seems to me that Canada comes out on the short end of the stick to frequently.

Cheers, RR

Steeleco
10-06-2004, 08:53 AM
I feel the frustation that are cattle ranchers, soft wood lumber industry, etc... and in the near future the renegotiation of the Columbia River treaty. It always seems to me that Canada comes out on the short end of the stick to frequently.

Cheers, RR

You have a valid point, what this country needs is some politcians to have some balls now and again. And industry to become more diverse and start looking for other markets for the lumber and such. When the yanks want some of our goods they'll be made to pay for it like everyone else.