PDA

View Full Version : Decoy paint!

Johnnybear
01-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I just replaced some old decoys with some Flambeau classics and the paint on the drakes is flaking off like crazy right out of the box. I was wondering if there is something I can do to help keep this from happening? any suggestions?

Ian F.
01-02-2007, 08:19 AM
No

Not being a smartass, but the paint sticks, or it doesn't and changing that can't be done after it's applied. Carrylite was/is the worst as they use recycled plastics that have release agent now part of the plastic and it causes the paint to come off before they are even used.

Very best,

Ian

NEEHAMA
01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
i was wondering the same thing. i once tried tremclad but it didn't stick. you almost need an epoxy glue , nail polish, type sticky paint. i hope some one can give us both an idea.

K-1
01-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Cabelas has decoy paint kits.

NEEHAMA
01-02-2007, 12:19 PM
but is it "magic" paint that actually sticks i wonder? nothing sticks very good. but i'll check it out thanks.

brotherjack
01-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Spray it down with a clear coat expoxy or the like; basically something of sufficient thickness and texture to form a solid film over the paint? Thus the paint would be held in place by the clear coat covering it, rather than by adhesion to the plastic below?

I just made that idea up on the spot - no idea if it would work well or not... .

Dano
01-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Spray it down with a clear coat expoxy or the like; basically something of sufficient thickness and texture to form a solid film over the paint? Thus the paint would be held in place by the clear coat covering it, rather than by adhesion to the plastic below?

I just made that idea up on the spot - no idea if it would work well or not... .

Might work but will probably leave a shiny finish which will cause birds to flare off. Short of roughing up the surface and repainting, you probably won't have any luck getting paint to stick.
You can help keep the paint on by using the decoy bags that seperate the decoys into individual pockets (Ian has them). This keeps the decoys from rubbing and banging into each other during transport. A good idea on all decoys and I'm investing in a few of the bags myself for next season as I can already see a few marks on the GHG decoys I bought for this season.
Dan

phoenix
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
You might try that Krylon Fusion paint as a base and then paint over them but that would still require you to clean them off completely and then repaint. How old are they? Maybe you could take them back for warranty. If you wanted to try brotherjacks idea I think they also make a Fusion Matte clear coat but I don't think it would work all that great.
Kim

Johnnybear
01-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I think the only thing to do is get those bags Dano was talking about with the individual slots. This seems to be the biggest problem having them banging or rubbing against each other. I might buy a can of flat or matte clear coat and try it on one as an experiment. I'll post the results.

Ian F.
01-02-2007, 06:39 PM
You can get a dozen GHG hot buy mallards for $25, next question?

www.bagdepot.com, has the best prices on pocket bags

Painting plastic is just a time thing, given time the paint comes off plastic, only question is how long. As a decoy carver I have an idea of the time and effort for a repaint and beat up old plastics become basic divers or scoters, just too much time and effort in repainting plastics compared to buying new..

Ian

NEEHAMA
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
i know it's cheap to buy new ones but day one i see the paint coming off again. now if i can make cheap decoys look good with paint then i'm laughing. i think i'll try to sand them a bit first. then apply the colour.

phoenix
01-03-2007, 12:14 PM
If you have access to compressed air try one of those little sandblasters from Princess Auto. I used one of their bigger sandblasters on 80 psi and fine blasting media to clean up some plastic chairs the wife wanted painted and it worked awesome. I used the Krylon Fusion paint and after 1.5 years of use they still look new. The sandblaster really cleaned the surface even though it was kind of pebbly and let the paint really stick.
Kim

Dano
01-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Like Ian said, for about $50 cdn you can get a dozen Greenhead Gear hot buys decoys delivered to your door. A good deal and personally my choice over a repaint.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20831&id=0020896225978a&navCount=3&podId=0020896&parentId=cat20831&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QT&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20831&hasJS=true

I bought a set of the full size and they cost me about $55usd shipped to Blaine. The Hot Buys decoys are supposed to be good value, check out the product reviews on the page. Amoung the comments were a couple stating the paint is good.
Dano

Ian F.
01-03-2007, 09:59 PM
If you must repaint, clean the living kajeevers out of them, hit them with acetone or lacquer thinner and then prime with kylon fusion, followed by a krylon matte paint with a days drying inbetween and then use craft paints or whatever, but hold no expectations of longevity, and as carrylites have release agents within the plastic, hold lower expectations of them.

The method I've posted above seems to be the curret best practice, but at the end of the day it's just time with most birds.

You may need to consider burlapping some herters if you need a tough long term durable decoy.

Very best,

Ian

Johnnybear
01-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll order one of those slotted bags and give that a try.

Mattimoose
01-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Instead of sandpaper, what i use is Scotchbrite* pads for roughing-up the surface as it doesn't remove a lot of material and doesn't plug-up. You could also probably use-it between coats like i use-it for stock finishing.-matti