PDA

View Full Version : Coffin' Blind

Iron-Head
01-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Hey guys, I have been dying to try and make my own coffin blind, and I was wondering if any of you have done it and would like to share some ideas / tips on how to do create one.
Thanks, Symon.

Dano
01-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I've used a coffin blind on a goose hunting trip to Ft. Saskatchewan with my dad. They work great, the ones we had were a tube aluminum frame with a camo cloth cover. You can either put in a removable waterproof floor or put in something more permenant. There is an angled ramp at the end your head is at so you are sitting slightly up, your head should show about half your face and I remember looking down to keep my face hidden. The cover had loops sewn on all around and on top to hold natural vegitation. Make sure your angle when laying down is comfortable and allows you to sit upright easily. Make sure it is not too long, it's important to have your gun barrel extend past your feet and rest on the end with the muzzle outside the blind (a guy I work with shot off a couple toes in a goose chair a few years ago and it would be easy to have the same sort of accident in a coffin blind).
The top flaps in the one I used overlapped, you just push your arms up and out to flip the sides clear and raise and shoot,.... of course it's strange shooting from a sitting position but on my trip the shots were close!
Good luck, Dan

Ian F.
01-02-2007, 08:28 AM
http://www.njwa.org/gunningboxplans.htm

Used have one of these in New Brunswick and it was great, you can use it to tow decoys behing the boat with and even use it to get a across a deep channel with!

I'd make a few changes after making one, and if you go forward shoot me an email (irfeir@shaw.ca) or call 604-288-7764 and I'll run you through the changes.

Mine was used mainy in tidal marshes or along the shore, birds don't even know you are there!

Very best,
Ian

Crazy_Farmer
01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Are you asking about a Laydown blind or an actaully blind you build? Both me and my brother bought laydown builds from SIR for pretty cheap. Laydown blinds work great becuase you can get right out there in the middle of the field where the geese are. Like Dano said theres things to think at when you buy one, most have either a full or partial aluminum frame, It takes about a minute to set up a partial one with you just have to set up your best rest, where as a full frame it wcan take a big longer. Also try to find or build one with a gun rest at your feet becuase then it sits above where your precious toes cant be shot off.

http://www.sirmailorder.ca/images/products/339000.jpg
The ones we bought were Final Approach Eliminator Express Blinds in Mossy Oak Shadow Grass. They look very good and once you put some grass or corn into all the little straps they have on it you can barely see them. Also some are taller then others, you try and find a low profile one so you dont stick out too bad in a field.

Iron-Head
01-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Hey Thanks Ian. That plan looks great, I think It will be somthing I will work on during the off season, as I have decided to just buy one from SIR. But when I do start it I will be in touch...
BTW- Ian, You hunting in Boundary Bay Around the foot of 112th Last saturday? Michel and I where out there with a friend of ours, and he thought it may have been you.
Thanks again,
Symon

Ian F.
01-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Syomn,

If you can get down to Bellingham, you can walk into GI Joes and buy one, basically same prices as cabelas..

yes I was on B-bay on saturday, lots of pintails, just none that decoyed! I shot like crap, but took home a prime gwt and widgeon drake..

Ian

Iron-Head
01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah We had the opposite problems of your day, the friend we had along brought his NS duck toler and all the birds that decoyed where then chased away..:lol: I think we got one while he was there, and then 6 after wards, But not a very mixed bag, We got 1 pin drake and 2 hens and 3 widgeon drake and a widgeon hen, I would have hoped we got some mallards.
Ill se about GI joes, and if that doesnt work Ill be ordering one off of SIR.

Ian F.
01-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Just remembered, say a final approach blind box in stillwater sports yesterday, no idea the model or the price, but no shipping if you buy local..

Ian

Jimbo
01-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Does anyone make a lightweight, waterproof model that could be dragged into a flooded field ?

Ian F.
01-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Jimbo,

There are a few versions look at cabelas or Macks. What I've used in the past is a snow sled, usually black and try and get one that is a little tougher, you'd be amased what you can drag in one! In fact some companies basicallly sell a heavy duty version of a tobogan just for duckin..

Ian

mattchu_19
01-05-2007, 05:25 PM
the Final Approach Express Elimanator blind, which I have is only 11 lbs. and it folds into a backpack. SIR has the for 129.99 to 149.99 right now. they are very go for walking into fields.