PDA

View Full Version : lantern tripod

ratherbefishin
10-02-2004, 10:05 PM
how many times have you needed to hang a lantern up- but there wasn't a tree handy?So it ends up on the ground, where it isn't as effective, and you risk knocking it over.
I picked up 2 10' lenghs of 1/2 conduit , and cut them into 6 pieces, with conectors so as to make 3 pieces 6'8'' long.I put in wooden plug and screwed in eyes, opening up one and putting it through the other two.That made my tripod and an S hook attached to the eye made the lantern holder.I attached some light chain to the legs to prevent the tripod from collapsing by overextension.
Anyway, it's a simple, effective, cheap, and portable lantern holder that gets it off the ground where it sheds more light and doesn't get knocked over.I think the whole thing cost $20.

3kills
10-03-2004, 03:40 AM
got any pics???

bone-collector
10-03-2004, 07:08 AM
are you selling a tripods for lanterns? just asking as your in the sales forum maybe by mistake :D

ratherbefishin
10-03-2004, 08:08 AM
sorry-I didn't realise this was a sales forum-and no, I'm not selling them.They are rediculously easy to make.Actually I'm toying with the idea of breaking them down into 18'' sections and that means you could easily fit them into the corners of a lantern case[ the lantern being round, means 3 sections would fit into each corner]The other option I thought about was to simply use those extendable aluminum tent poles and a short piece of chain to hold the tops together, which would also hold an S hook to hang the lantern off of.Anyway, for what it's worth- try it out- the materials only cost about $20, for the conduit, chain and eye bolts.

Statler
10-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Sounds pretty interesting. Was in a situation many seasons ago with my brother, he had taken a moose down, in a bog, just before last light. It's not the easiest thing in the world to deal with a moose when your standing in thigh deep water in the middle of Oct. and your idea would have worked well that time and would have freed up an extra set of hands to help out.

ratherbefishin
10-04-2004, 06:08 PM
well, it;s simple and effective.I'm going to try and come up with it in 18"' sections so they fit into a lantern case- so the whole thing is there if you need it.I'm just surprised it isn;t more widely used and available, it's one of those simple solutions to a problem

3kills
10-05-2004, 02:40 AM
u should make them and sell them..patend boy patend,....

bone-collector
10-05-2004, 05:46 AM
nevermind Rather I screwed up .. :oops: :oops: , sorry this wasnt the sales thread section ..gotta wake up before I go online :lol:

my apolagies again

Bonez

ratherbefishin
10-05-2004, 06:54 AM
I had fun making it- if I made them for sales it would become a job....and besides, it's so simple anybody can make it.I think the best option will be the 18"' ferreled sections, so the whole thing fits into a lantern case.Although I used 1/2 steel conduit,probably aluminum pipe would be the best material because it's light.If you could find already manufactured telescoping tent poles, that may be even easier

Downwindtracker2
11-04-2004, 08:15 PM
A lantern above the campstove is a must,for getting the coffee and porridge going before dawn.My answer is 3/4" ridgid conduit bent to a 90.This fits in a 1/2" pipe that has a plate welded to one end.The plate gets C-clamped to the picnic table or trailer tailgate.The 3/4" slides over the 1/2 ,stopping at the cross bolt.The lantern bale hangs in a notch.