PDA

View Full Version : Pickup Boxliners

Fisher-Dude
12-31-2006, 11:23 AM
I'd like people's opinions and experiences with boxliners for pickups. Do you prefer the slide-in or spray-in boxliners? I've had a slide-in one and it worked well, but I know the box is rubbed and moisture gets trapped under it. I've heard of spray-ins chipping and peeling and binding up tailgates. My new truck has tie-down loops in the box, so a slide-in would have to have access holes and that seems to me like water will always be between the box and liner, so I'm leaning towards a spray-in. What brands have worked for you?

K-1
12-31-2006, 11:33 AM
I have had two PU boxes done in Rino Hide. One cracked along the tailgate top, I went back to Capit and they redone the whole gate. I got it over the rails, which causes a bit of a problem with the canopy. I just put on extra foam and that worked ok.

bsa30-06
12-31-2006, 11:43 AM
I find with the plastic slide in liners you have to tie everything down cause it slides around to easy.I have a plastic one in my dodge, (came with the truck) and it is a little better it has tie downs molded into it and there is always a piece of rope in the back so that solves the sliding problem.

model88
12-31-2006, 11:53 AM
My Tacoma came with a spray in liner, first one I have had like that, so far I really like.

tuchodi
12-31-2006, 12:01 PM
I have the Armaguard spray in box liner and it has been in my truck since new in 94, never had any cracking or peeling and have used it to haul some terrible loads. I believe the last I checked that the rhino was cheaper. Were I work we have gone to the armaguard as the rhino spray on kept on peeling and cracking. I have heard people have good results with the rhino but maybe the company that applied the linnings for us did something wrong but there were 5 trucks and all the same problems. these were done over a 2 year period so I dont think it was a bad batch of chemicals. As K-1 said if you get it done over top lip of the box you have to use a thicker foam to seal your canopy. I have resealed my canopy twice since the linner was installed.

Chuck
01-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I needed something for the bottom of my tin boat cuz I got tired of mats. I just have a 14 foot Lund fishing boat. Went to Home Hardware and bought some of that rubberized deck coating which is actually intended for coating /sealing plywood decks. First I cleaned the aluminum real good, slathered (rolled) a thick coat of the rubber chip compound on and let dry a few days and then put down two coats of the latex sealer. Works like a charm, but in about 2 years the high spots (rivets) will show. About $100 and I have enough for 5 boats. It's flexible, soft under foot, everything proof but NOT intended for truck boxes.
My 2 cents.

Elk-Aholic
01-04-2007, 11:24 PM
I have family with both spray on and plastic liners. I personally like a plastic liner as it won't cost you an arm and a leg. Go to a used auto parts shop and you can probably pick one up for $50. Plus you can beat the hell out of it and it keeps on going. Yes, moisture does trap between the liner and box, I've seen this several times with my truck. But the movement of the plastic liner will remove any rust that does forms. Inadversly, it causes the rust in the first place.

scoot
01-05-2007, 01:15 AM
I have a plastic liner that was put in my 95 new. The truck as checkerplate box rails that meet the box liner at the inside edge of the box. At this point there are small bolts that hold the liner in place so it does not move. The liner is also screwed into the sheet metal where the talegate closes. I pulled the liner out this past summer after being in the truck for 11 years and the box is like new, ZERO rub marks.

Yes things do slide around easier and I do hate cleaning dirt and gravel out of those deep grooves. I think stopping that plastic liner from moving is key in keeping your box in good shape.

hoochie
01-05-2007, 11:13 AM
box liners are crap. My truck is a 2004 F350, and the box liner was put in it new. If you plan to use your truck, like a truck.. then the boxliner is weak. The screws that secure it to the box ( at the tailgate end) have stayed in place, but the liner has pulled out from them. Also, the liner has cracked in a few spots.
Rhino liners are the way to go. Get it professionally sprayed, and you'll be happy. The tupperware inserts are for light duty.
The inserts are also slippery. When I put my camper in there, it slid slightly, and it caused the liner to break in the front ( against the cab).
Inserts are poo.

Elkhound
01-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Rhino liners vs. drop in liners
http://www.rhinolinings.com/RL/main/protection/rhinoadvantage.jsp?3

I would love to do my whole truck with this stuff.:lol:

johnes50
01-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I have the two piece rubber bed mats in my pickup. They are almost indistructable, easy to take out and clean, and help cushion my camper when I put it on. Nothing slides on them like with plastic bed liners. John

.308win
01-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I have the two piece rubber bed mats in my pickup. They are almost indistructable, easy to take out and clean, and help cushion my camper when I put it on. Nothing slides on them like with plastic bed liners. John

Only ever had one truck, it also had a "heavy" rubber mat(~1/2-5/8 in) i thought that it was awesome, you don't have any protection for the sides of your box, but nothing ever sled around to hit the sides of the box with the mats.

DieselDog
01-06-2007, 10:37 PM
I own 7 company trucks that see extreme duty.All have spayed linings. No Fuss, No Muss. No problems. My guys love them!

ruger#1
01-06-2007, 11:01 PM
all i know is i travel from abbotsford to chillwack every day and last week i seen two slide in liners. sray in liners are the best. i have the aluminum sides with the rubber mats and sand and rocks still get in between the mat and box. not very happy with that. also loose storage space with the aluminum sides if you haul a camper.

dave
01-07-2007, 09:53 PM
I've had rhino liner in my F150 for a couple of years now and it has stood up really well. It has seen lots of abuse and after a quick rinse it looks like new.

~T-BONE~
01-08-2007, 07:06 PM
In my view the best way to go would be getting the spray on liner done. Then go pick yerself up a couple of rubber mats for the bed aswell! I guarantee that you will be pleased with that combo.... When I bought my mats for my full size box I believe I paid $115. 3 years ago.