PDA

View Full Version : LEH rational

ratherbefishin
10-01-2004, 06:18 PM
I'd like the rational for the LEH way of alloting times to hunt-I got the early draw for ''any bull'' in 5-13c, good to October 1.Unfortionately that proved to be a bit early, although 5 moose were taken in September.I gather that area is most productive in mid October- the later hunt.
My question is this- if the LEH draw system is based on ensuring a certain number of animals are available to be taken out of an area, but not to exceed that number due to over harvesting - then why is there any time limit beyond the regular season?It can't be to avoid hunter saturation of an area- there is plenty of room .I'd sure like to know why they have this system, because it doesn't make sense to me.Does anybody know ?

Steeleco
10-02-2004, 03:22 AM
We had this same question around camp one year, with regard to Bison. If they want to control population then why not let a guy/girl hunt in may or june when the regular hunting pressure is off. Why must you get a once in a lifetime draw and have to face ball deep snow and wintery conditions?

bone-collector
10-02-2004, 07:31 AM
you pick the time and area you want to hunt and you get a second choice so I cant see the problem in that , put in for a later draw and catch the rutt :D

3kills
10-02-2004, 08:24 AM
as much as our system seems kinda screwed i like it...

ratherbefishin
10-02-2004, 09:19 AM
easier said than done, with the 3 year reduced odds waiting period.Too bad they don't have a guaranteed shared hunt rule where populations can stand it, 0ne moose between 2 hunters is plenty of meat

3kills
10-03-2004, 03:35 AM
i thought it was only 2 years reduced odds..and if u are still applying up in region 5-13 the odds are good there to begin with...and if u go in on a shared hunt with 3 others..ur odds are brought back up...

bone-collector
10-03-2004, 07:03 AM
hey its life , I know guys that havent had a draw for moose in 10-12 years and others that get a draw almost every year , how , they play the odds and win :wink:

ratherbefishin
10-03-2004, 07:54 AM
IF the odds are reduced for the 2 subsequent years following a successful draw- does that apply to ALL hunters in the group- or would it mean that if 3 guys applied for a ''shared hunt'', would they each take turns on the ''reduced odds '' list, or is the whole group on the reduced odds list?

3kills
10-03-2004, 10:16 AM
way i read it and understand it is...if for go in u might not get drawn but ur buddy does...so he gets the reduced odds...and u dont...

rob my dad has been aplying for over 20 years and he has only gotten 1 moose draw and a couple doe draws..i know guys that get drawn same thing year afte yea...

Freshtracks
10-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Let me clarify.

My buddy finally got draw for a LEH bull in 7-08 after many years of being unsuccessful.

If my son, and I applied with him next year on a shared hunt, the odds of ANY of us getting draw are the same as if he applied by himself with the reduced odds implemented on him.

Applying for shared hunts doesn't effective the reduced odds effect. Only thing I know that can be in your favor is applying for very low (1:1 odds) hunts.

Mulie_Hunter
10-04-2004, 08:57 AM
Of course the odds are different in different areas but Between me and my dad one of us usually gets a tag every year. I try to stay in that 1:5 range it seems to work for me quite well. I find that the farther the draw is away from you the the better your chance of getting it is :lol:

BCrams
10-04-2004, 01:26 PM
I know a fella here in town who got drawn two yrs in a row for moose. Even after getting drawn last year and having his odds reduced he got the draw again.

Several years ago, my brother in law got drawn for bull moose 3 times in 3 years and I've only been drawn twice in 16 yrs.

YukonJack
10-04-2004, 01:52 PM
I understand that for any given area, the entire population of huntable animals within a species is taken into account. Not just the accessible animals. Look at 7-28 for Moose. Very little easy access, yet massive amounts of tags available for LEH. It's a huge area. Chances of being drawn are good, but chances for success are significantly reduced, unless the unaccessible areas are hunted.

ratherbefishin
10-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Sometimes I wonder if the LEH system isn't just another revenue cash cow for the government, especially when you think of the number of $5 applications they recieve.The lottery system is computor operated, so it can't be that expensive to implement.I am not decrying the concept of alloting a certain number of animals to be taken so as to keep the populations sustainable, but on the other hand, we have a declining hunter base.I 'd be happier with a guaranteed ''shared hunt'' ticket-one moose is plenty between two families, unless it was the major source of meat.I do agree that some limited or threatened populations need a controlled harvest- but we now lave LEH for nearly all moose in the province, with the exception of the far north. I suppose I wouldn't feel this way if ALL the licence revenue went into fish and game, and habitat , but I think a good portion simply goes into general revenue- the governments hollow leg

3kills
10-05-2004, 03:02 PM
everything that involves the government and and money is gonig to be a cash cow...look at hunting lisence and tags...

BCrams
10-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Put it this way boys and girls -

Numbers are rounded off but it will give you an idea of LEH permits and odds you are looking at.......this is for all species in BC

For all species -

Roughy 120, 000 people put in for LEH

Only 22, 000 tags available.

I think the numbers are around there, I can't remember

Ridge-Runner
10-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Bcrams,

All I can get out of your figures is how much money the government generates from LEH total numbers sold, nothing about odds. The odds very from species to species and location to location. The odds are drastically different from sheep in the Kamloops area to goats in the Kootenay's?

Cheers, RR