PDA

View Full Version : snows...

4ptbuck
12-28-2006, 10:47 PM
I've got the week off, and finally had a chance to get out for some more snows. The main flock has moved south to the states, but there are still a ton of birds around.

I went out for an afternoon hunt. Tides were beautiful for hunting, but a pain to deal with.

I had the dekes out and right off the bat 2 juvies came squawcking in. They came in perfect, ok, first the left then the right. Gun up, saftey of,..kerbang, pump,....wow, both are coming down. How's that for a double. :lol: That's about the end of the good shooting news... :sad: The rest of the shells musta been rusty. That aside, I still managed 3 other snows and filled my limit.

If I was shooting fresh non-rusty shells, I coulda had a good duck shoot as well. oh well....

Hopefully I get one more crack at them before the new year.

4pts...

Dano
12-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Never tried snows but know a few guys who love to hunt them. Those "2 in one shot" birds help keep the average shells per bird down, had one myself this year on ducks.
Keep up the posts, how about a few pics! :)
Dan

Polonez
12-28-2006, 11:05 PM
where did you go for them? Im planning on going out on saturday and get a round or two in before the new year aswell. :)

4ptbuck
12-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Pics now would have to be at the dinner table.

I did take the digital camera out. But got lazy and worked up with the tide. There a super low tonight, and the water level is dropping like a stone. I was hoping to get done early and shoot some shots of the birds decoying in.

Tonight was not a night to talk about averages. It was one of those times where it would have been a smarter idea to stick 1 shell in the gun, and concentrate on that shot.

If I get out again, pictures, I promise.

Polonez
12-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Where you out in canoe pass?

Pics now would have to be at the dinner table.

I did take the digital camera out. But got lazy and worked up with the tide. There a super low tonight, and the water level is dropping like a stone. I was hoping to get done early and shoot some shots of the birds decoying in.

Tonight was not a night to talk about averages. It was one of those times where it would have been a smarter idea to stick 1 shell in the gun, and concentrate on that shot.

If I get out again, pictures, I promise.

4ptbuck
12-28-2006, 11:28 PM
nope, out front in a boat.

Ian F.
12-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Well done preston!

I figured they would be gone by now and put everything away till February. Santa brought me a dozen GHG snow goose hot buys that I've been itching to try!

Those tides kept me off the salt chuck for the weekend as well, just not worth the hassle and/or danger..

Appreciate the update!

Ian

4ptbuck
12-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Ian, I was surprised with the number of snows. With the tides the way they are it time to GET OUT THERE!.... hint hint...

I am probably going to go out with Gary Mok tomorrow, afternoon hunt.

If you're interested, send me a PM and we'll hook up, the more white the better.

With the snows in the Lower Mainland, the vast majority have moved south, but hot damn, there are still crap loads around. The spring season doesn't really get going till around the second week of March, remember the link I sent? This season is completely different, pass shooting a large flocks. This season now, is decoying birds. Can't miss if you're shells aren't too rusty... , or the sun was in your eyes... or you mount your gun wrong,... or forget to flick the saftey..... or.....:| ...

4pts....