PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing in the Cariboo.

BIGHUNTERFISH
12-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Well I have some time off in the beginning of January,and my brother said he would like to try some ice fishing,do you guys know any good lakes in the Cariboo area where you could rent a cabin ?or easy access ,close to motels .I use to ice fish alot in the Kootenays and I really enjoyed it on a clear day when the bite was on. 8-)

Gerry
12-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Big Bar lake southwest of 70 mile has always been a good for me. Actually most of the lakes in the Cariboo are very good for ice fishing.

browningboy
12-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Fishpot lake is a good one, its in the nazko valley, 110kms west of quesnel, or Timithy Lake as well, look up in resorts in bc.8)

pmj
12-29-2006, 12:39 AM
We are also looking for a place to go ice fishing about 5hr drive from Vancouver with near by accomodations.
My wife and I were ice fishing Big Bar lake last year just after Christmas. We were lucky. It rained there on Christmas day, we were up 3 days later it was -9 and the lake was a clear sheet of ice 7"-9 " thick. Averaged 2 bites for every hour landing half of them using worms 2 ft off bottom in about 25 ft of water. Big Bar lake was really nice with not much traffic. We stayed in Clinton at the Cariboo Lodge. It was ok. No kitchenett so we had to buy our meals. We did not like the approx. 50 minute drive to the lake.

Jagermeister
12-29-2006, 02:16 AM
The link below is for Bridge Lake. This resort is on the north-west corner of the lake. Kokanee are the game, but rainbows are there too as well as lakers, although the lakers may be closed now. It may be better to postpone and go towards the end of the month. Tyee Lake resort would be another choice. And then there is Ten Mile.

http://www.moondancebay.com/pages/winterwelcome.html

boonerbuck
12-29-2006, 04:56 PM
I live in the southern Cariboo and ice fish lots.

There are too many good lakes to list but one thing I'll say is they all suffer hot and cold periods, even the very best lakes. It's possible you can go to a good lake and not catch anything all weekend. Check beforehand and if you make reservations to stay somehwere, have back up lakes within reach.

Big Bar is good and produces smallish rainbows. The days of fish up to 7lbs are in the past. A large fish now is in the 3.5 range but there are lots of pounders there and this lake has a rep for some of the better tasting rainbows.

Irish produces large rainbows with a 4 lb not considered big at all. Their fish taste gross. Smokers at the very best....

Fishing is slow on Green but at least one is not uncommon and they average between 4.5 to 6lbs and taste every bit as good or better than Big Bar. There is always the chance at some of the large Kokanee in this lake too. I heard before I left that this lake was producing.

Sheridan has monster rainbows and was producing when I left. West Sheridan is the more popular spot.

Beaver Dam is between 70 Mile and Clinton and is usually good fishing for Brookies up to 6lbs, maybe larger. Last year was an off year. I've heard nothing yet.....

Snag lake is doing well. It's a bit of a haul from 100 mile but the brookies are pretty big there.

Guys were out on Horse already fishing for Kokanee as well as Sulphurous. I haven't heard how they were doing but when it's good you can easily limit out.

Fawn is another decent rainbow lake but I've heard nothing. Fish tase muddy there.

Crystal has been producing good size fish these last 2 seasons. It's just outside the community of Bridge Lake.

Bridge Lake is a toughy. Seems there's usually a very small window each winter where guys can consistently catch a few fish but they are probably the biggest kokanee in the area.

Greeney lake is a pretty consistant lake. Fish are small but plentyful. It's just up the hill from Lac Le Hache whick is always a back up spot for small rainbows and kokanee.

If you are daring enough to go out at night there are Burbot to be caught is some of the larger lakes. They taste awesome!!

Call Rolph at Lone Butte Sporting Goods. He will have the current report on which are producing. Cross reference after with a call to Exeter Sporting Goods and ask for Jude or Lisa. Buy your stuff from Rolph though.:lol:

BIGHUNTERFISH
12-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the great info,Booner that is an awesome detailed report you gave me.I use to use maggots and wood worms for bait in the Kootenays,which baits do you guys use? Thanks again and Happy Newyear. :smile:

browningboy
12-29-2006, 11:29 PM
If you guys go up ice fishing, we bought a can of small shrimp (like a tuna can) and used them, couldn't keep the fish off!! Just a cheap suggestion.

boonerbuck
12-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the great info,Booner that is an awesome detailed report you gave me.I use to use maggots and wood worms for bait in the Kootenays,which baits do you guys use? Thanks again and Happy Newyear. :smile:

For rainbows I like to use shrimp. I just go buy a container of small frozen shrimp at Save on Foods and use a nice sharp Gamagatzu. In shallow water I don't use a flasher, just hook and shrimp.

For Kokanee use maggots and a flasher. 1 or 2 maggots an a glow hook.

For brookies I use wood/meal worms. I don't use a flasher at beaver dam because you usually are in just a couple of feet of water.

Burbot like chicken liver on a glow buzz bomb.

Deka lake is another to keep in mind btw. Some years it does good for kokanee and like Bridge Lake, you never know when you are going to hook into one of those 30 pound Lakers.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Tinney, I dont want to highjack that guys thread but I was curious about the burbot fishing ,I hear their awesome eating.Whats your set up. :|

Tinney
02-12-2007, 06:53 PM
They're really good eating. I can't eat fish anymore, developed this crazy allergy to eating them....4" glow buzz bombs or zzingers is pretty standard for round here. All kinds of cod jigs will work like the "Depth Charge" or something just called the "Cod Jig" in chrome works good. The trick is to fish at dawn and dusk because they feed the most during the night. Glow is never a bad idea. Squid works good as bait.

MattB
02-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I believe there is actually burbot in mamit. I wouldnt waste your time ice fishing in that country though. Head on up to the cariboo and hit sheridan for a few days. If i was back home i would dig out that old picture of my dad and the 2 monster rainbows he got out of there.

3kills
02-12-2007, 09:31 PM
my uncle has been slayin them when he has gone to mamit this year but his best fishin has been on edna this year....and he has found that pollock has been workin the best for bait....he use to use shrimp but it hasnt been as good as the pollock...