PDA

View Full Version : Crowsbows

Yeti
12-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a crossbow for next season and I don't have a clue about what to look for. I would like to get a top end model and money isn't an issue. I have looked at the Excaliber brand and they seem to be fairly confident in their product but I don't have the knowledge to judge. What type of range am I looking at when hunting with a crossbow? Will a crossbow kill an animal instantly or will I have to track it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

J_T
12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
I'd talk to some of the crossbow shooters on this site. Brotherjack has had some experience with the Excalibur I think.

Bows don't kill on impact. Yes in most cases, you will have to track your animal. Keep in mind, with a bow, you are limited to your shot placement. A bow kills be causing deadly bleed. Death is not instant and in 80% of the cases a poorly placed shot will not bring death.

If you are new to Bowhunting, I might suggest locating an International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP) course. This is a two day course focused exclusively on bowhunting. It is supported by the National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) and is a required prerequisite for hunting in many jurisdictions.

JT

My want is that this thread be an informative thread for the individual that is considering the crossbow. Not another endless tirade of opinions.:|

FullDraw
12-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I would 2nd the IBEP course, also I would keep my shots under 40 yrds.
I owned a Horton cross bow for a bit, it was deadly accurate. I never used it much so I sold it.
Have you looked at copound bow's they are rather easy to master as well and I think the performace is better than a cross bow.

FullDraw

bcfarmer
12-29-2006, 08:25 AM
I would 2nd the IBEP course, also I would keep my shots under 40 yrds.
I owned a Horton cross bow for a bit, it was deadly accurate. I never used it much so I sold it.
Have you looked at copound bow's they are rather easy to master as well and I think the performace is better than a cross bow.

FullDraw

Hey there Fulldraw
Maybe you should take the performance comment to the 3-d crossbow threadimages/smilies/icon_lol.gifimages/smilies/icon_lol.gif...lol

FullDraw
12-29-2006, 10:59 AM
No I can't take the heat:)

FullDraw

rocksteady
12-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Look at the Horton line up too...Top quality with a lifetime warranty on the bow (not the strings of course).....

I have the Horton Hunter Elite 175 lb and love it...