PDA

View Full Version : Help I need a new Butcher.

Steeleco
09-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Well after picking up my venison today from the butcher I've been using for quite a while and the guy turning into a "COMPLETE ASSHOLE" it's time too find a new butcher. I'm in North Langley, so any hints from you guys would be great. I WAS going to SUMAS, so distance isn't as important as quality. Thanks steeleco

Thunderstix
09-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Do it yourself. It is honestly not that hard and can be a fun way to hang with your hunting buddies and relive the hunt.

Steeleco
09-24-2004, 06:19 PM
I have done a couple of bears. But they are simpler than dear, I have a set up in my works shop but still have this fear of screwing it up. The other thing, is getting rid of the scraps, living in the city it's a little harder to do. I'm sure cutting my own will happen sooner than later.

BCHunter
09-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Saunders Meats in Langley

BCKID
09-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Yes it's not that hard to yourself. Just think of it as another beer drinking job. :)

deerhunter
09-26-2004, 07:02 PM
:( You must have went Ennis farms. I had a terrible experience with them. I now go to penguin meats in White Rock and have great success.
I have heard saunders is good as well. Good luck.

BCHunter
09-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Ennis is another bad place....

grizz
09-26-2004, 08:00 PM
We get our meat cut at Lake Cowichan and our butcher tells us that they are no longer allowed to dispose of the scraps-something to do with the mad cow scare.We have to dispose of our own.
grizz

Steeleco
09-26-2004, 10:27 PM
I used Ennis meats ONCE, cause the other guy was swammped. Never again. Here too Grizz, butchers are having trouble getting rid of the scraps. The OLD guy rented a dumpster and did it that way. Now I'm headed to Saunders meats the minute I have a reason. SOOOOOON :roll: :roll:

swamper
09-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Doing it yourself is not as hard as most people think. There are some good videos out there. The one I used was called Get Cutting and Cooking 1 & 2. One video deals with the hind quarter and the other deals with the front. The first time I did it I hooked up a small TV and a VCR and just followed along. I can now do a deer in an hour and a moose in 3 1/2 hours. All boned out so no bone sour.

Steeleco
09-27-2004, 08:57 AM
Thanks Swamper, I'll have to have a look for those video's Hell the worst thing that can happen is a freezer full of ground and two hugh forearms!!!!!

swamper
09-27-2004, 09:00 AM
If you can't find the videos anywhere let me know and I will make you a copy and send it down.

Steeleco
09-27-2004, 10:57 AM
The intenet has been tough so far, I'm gonna check some of the local outdoor stores and see what they have. Thanks for the offer, will let you know.

bone-collector
09-27-2004, 01:06 PM
wish I could help yea steel , we have a top notch butcher here that has specialized in wild game for 30 years and he owns a guide outfitter company, great guy great prices and the best dam T-Bones money can get yea :D

ratherbefishin
10-01-2004, 12:40 PM
deer are very simple to butcher yourself-I just use a lamb chart for the cuts.I make sausage[ in rolls to cut into patties] with the tougher cuts and scraps.Or try corning it- that works well too- just put it down in brine for 30 days[I add pickling spice to the brine]The bones I pressure cook for stew meat, then freeze.Haven't tried a bear yet, though-I like the hams cured and smoked and the rest made into sausage

MRBucks
10-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Anybody have a phone number for Saunders meats?? And, will they take game anytime, or do you have to go during regular business hours? Where are they located?

We have used both Penguin, and Ennis. I would rate them about equal. Penguin worried me a bit when they told us that they do all the burger the same night. They weigh the scraps for each partys game, to be turned into burger, and then just start throwing all the meat in the grinder. As the meat is packaged, they just put aside so much burger for each person, depending on the scrap weight. You may not even get your own burger..Not my idea of a good system. Their cut meats were fine though.

Ennis did a moose for us a few years ago, and they did a nice job. I can't complain. They also opened up the cooler at 10.30pm for us as we just got into town, from the hunt. They did pepperoni, etc as well. The fresh sausage left a little to be desired though, and would not recomend it. An elk they did a few years ago turned out good as well. What was the problems you fellows had??

Don Brunner was a good butcher, and it was a sad day when he passed on, and his family decided to close the shop. Never had a problem with them on any of the many animals we took to them. :(

Steeleco
10-06-2004, 09:03 AM
The number for Saunders is 604-530-6493 I'm told the owners name is Sue.
I haven't got around to calling them as I have the same questions as you. If you give her a call could you post some of the answers. Ennis meats were fine for the cutting and wrapping. I took in a small bear and it cost $45 (min fee) They also had some cuts that were beyond description, "back rack" Truned out to be about 1lb of spine and 8oz of meat. What's the point in that?
I have heard good things about Penquin, but I'm wtih you on the mixing meat for the ground. Cutting my own seems to be sooner than later.

Mauser98
10-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Wev'e used Weymouth Meats in Matsqui and have been very satisfied.

Doug
10-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Cutting a deer up is just common sense, and I have done dozens of them over the years. I bone them out, as others have mentioned, so you lose that bone dust etc you get when you run the meat through a band saw.

With the deer hanging and skinned, tickle out the tenderloins from inside the cavity, then cut off the forelegs with a knife around the scapula (shoulder blade). Then fillet out the loins and cut the deer in half front/back. The front half is now all burger and sausage meat, although you can also take some stew meat if you like stew. Cut the hind half down the back-bone and you have two hind quarters. One at a time, tickle the cuts apart by following the muscle groups, very easy to see.

I have used aluminum foil to wrap my deer meat for the past 20 years, and then I put the individual aluminum-foil-wrapped pieces in plastic bags and fasten them tightly. Meat keeps very well for over a year, no freezer burn.

I do take the trimmings to a butcher for grinding (into burger), and/or to a butcher for fresh sausage, because I do not have an electric grinder or a sausage stuffer. But the one year we had THAT gizmo, we made the best damned sausage I ever had! :D

Good luck!

Doug

Fred
10-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Another vote for Saunders. I just got my 1/2 a Bison back from them and have no complaints. They are nice people as well. We had 2 young Bison and a Spike bull moose done that we got in the Dawson Creek area. Saunders address is 2585 216th St. Fred

partsman
10-06-2004, 10:44 PM
I too used Don Brunner for a lot of years, they were good people.
For awhile we did have a guy in North Van that did it out of his house, but that was a while back and he took up fishing and got out of the meat business altogether.
It was nice as one could go and help and learn from him.

MRBucks
10-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the Ph# and address, for Saunders! :D
I will give them a call this weekend and see what the story is as far as drop off times etc. I will post the results.

When I was in Alberta a few weeks ago on the annual goose hunt,I ran intoa fellow that claims his butcher does deer and moose flat rate. Not by weight. $25.00 for a deer $125.00 for a moose. Cut and wrapped. I wish someone would do that here! :D

We made some goose jerky using a jerky cannon. Man did that turn out nice. Simple too! Anyone see any jerky cannons around town for sale?

3kills
10-08-2004, 03:16 AM
When I was in Alberta a few weeks ago on the annual goose hunt,I ran intoa fellow that claims his butcher does deer and moose flat rate. Not by weight. $25.00 for a deer $125.00 for a moose. Cut and wrapped. I wish someone would do that here!

i have heard about guys doing that before..i dont know any personally though...

Steeleco
10-08-2004, 08:13 AM
Brings up the old addage "You get what you pay for"

ratherbefishin
10-08-2004, 05:13 PM
I thik I would send a moose to the butcher- but deer are so easy to do it yourself, and besides I think it adds to the experiance to learn to butcher your own meat.
My neighbour said he took a 6 weeks butcher course at nightschool- and it was invaluable .He learned to bone out, cut and wrap, make sausage, just about everything a hunter or small holder would need to know

Steeleco
10-08-2004, 06:04 PM
My neighbour said he took a 6 weeks butcher course at nightschool- and it was invaluable .He learned to bone out, cut and wrap, make sausage, just about everything a hunter or small holder would need to know

I'd be into taking a course. Where'd your neighbour take the course. I couldn't find anything in the lower mainland last I looked.

bone-collector
10-08-2004, 06:07 PM
that would definetly be a bonus to have some proffetional training, save me 250 bucks a moose around here :lol:

ratherbefishin
10-08-2004, 09:11 PM
the night school course was one offered At CammosunCollege, I believe-it was obviously not a professional course, but one geared to hunters and small holders.I like to try some of these things, it adds to the experiace-I make sausage, corn some,diferent stuff.I tried tanning the hide once,a lot of work!

buckslayer
10-25-2005, 09:21 AM
any good butchers in the kelowna - vernon area? the ones i have checked out seem to be 55-60 cents/lb does this sound about right? and they seem to be few and far between around here. Im more concerned about quality than price and will want sausage and stuff as well.( the last sausage tasted ok but was like chewing on a sock full of sawdust all crumbly i was very disapointed)

Meatman
10-25-2005, 09:51 AM
I have a butchershop 26956 fraser hwy Aldergrove 604-856-9750. I have a good feed back from my customers there is room for some deer.

mark
10-25-2005, 10:27 AM
hey buckslayer, there is some good butchers in kelowna, REINERS corner of BURTCH and SUTHERLAND is where i go have been very happy for years. theres on in winfeild on beaver lk. rd. by the tracks are good too.

Tarp Man
10-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Well, I can chime in here for Weymouth Meats. My buddy and I took a spring bear, two moose and two deer to Larry and all of it turned out great. Their Ukranian smoked sausage is awesome and the cuts of meat have been the same. He charges .50c a pund to cut and wrap. Sausage is more, depending on if it is fresh or smoked. He also opened up the shop on a Sunday night (1030) to take our moose, as we called ahead. We started taking meat there this spring on the recommendation of a family friend who has been using them since they opened their doors. I would highly recommend them. They also spend time with us to help us decide what to do with the cuts of meat. Very helpful. The exact opposite of the butcher on Sumas where we used to go...
-Tarp Man

Meatman
10-25-2005, 11:25 AM
We cut game and make very good sausage.DiMassimo's Meat Market in Aldergrove 26956 Fraser Hwy 604 856-9750.

Sikanni Stalker
10-25-2005, 01:33 PM
The oldtimer that took me out for my first moose hunt used to do his own for over 35 years and he showed me the same. Off the bone, clean clean clean and double wrapped! You might miss the chops or t-bones depending on what animal you are butchering, but I would take tenderloins and strap steaks anyday over bone sour. Scraps all get canned for the dog and the bones the dog doesn't steal and hide get used for stock. Not much to get rid of after that.I have taken meat to a guy for sausage before and was happy, but I don't think I could ever just turn over my meat and hope for the best. Thats just me though.

As for the difference in the animals, I find it's just volume. the main characteristics and cut lines are pretty close on each . The four legged ones anyways. I would love to take a course though. there is a butcher shop on an acreage here for sale. Be a nice change!

HTH

Sikanni Stalker
10-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Hell,

Hawk air flies to Van. to Dawson for about 80 bucks, I'll split a ticket with ya and I'll come down for a weekend and give you a hand.;-)

ch valley hunter
10-25-2005, 01:58 PM
The guy at Sumas meats can be a misserable $%&$& He was also caught steeling peoples meat a while ago. Anyways you can try 604-824-1558 (I think that is the number) it is a guy out in Chilliwack who works for Johnston Packers. I had some sausage from him and it was very good.

Joel

gpoole
10-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi Dave! Better carry a handgun in your pocket when you ask "Is that all of it?" Seems to be a touchy subject with lots of those butchers er meatcutters. I know you hunt a lot around Merrit. There is a ranchlike looking place at Lower Nicola with a gamecutting sign out front. Never been there because I never get anything but I bet some of the others would know if it's good or not. It's on the left hand side of the highway as you drive from Merrit to Spences Bridge just past the major urban sprawl of Lower Nicola.

Duner
10-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Saunders Meats in Langley

I had bear peperoni done by them and they were good to deal with and make a really good peperoni.

Foxer
10-25-2005, 09:16 PM
i used to go to the famous Mr Anderson before he went into semi-retirement. He was insanely good.

Frankly - i tend to like the little shops, especially where the owner's a good soul.

I've used saunders with good results ... i used to think ennis was ok, but they seriously nose dived for a couple of years and i've never gone back. Penguine's sausages were utterly dissapointing, but again it's been a few years.

I think i'll be giving meatman a try - gotta like a guy willing to come on the boards and get to know us. :)

ruger#1
10-25-2005, 09:24 PM
if you go to sumas meats and deal with kurt krack then i feel sorry for you. i like larry weymouth , he is very good he also asks what kind of cuts you would like.[ sumas meats should have a skull and crossbones on top of there door]

Foxer
10-25-2005, 09:28 PM
sumas meats should have a skull and crossbones on top of there door

hahaha - man, that's cold! :)

Tarp Man
10-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Ruger, That is probably the funniest description of a butcher I've heard. Rather tongue in cheek. I am glad the skull and crossbones sent me on my way to Weymouth Meats. I also like their beef jerky. Next year I'll have some moose done.
-Tarp Man

outdooorsman
10-25-2005, 09:42 PM
try to get yourself into griffin's out by stave in the back of mission. friend of mine and an awesome butcher. busy spot but if you can time it right or get in he's great in my opinion

Fred
10-25-2005, 11:07 PM
I got burned by Saunders last year, even the pepperoni was cra*! They didn't mix it properly. This year we used Peter Beltrame and so far so very good. Since we are sort of neighbours I think maybe I will drop in to see the meatman! :mrgreen: Fred

pupper
10-26-2005, 04:26 PM
what is wrong with sumas meats? i always get my game done by kurt krac?

fill me in, i dont want to be in the dark here

justin

bushape
10-26-2005, 06:12 PM
No doubt,Sumas Meats is the best weve found over the years,if u can put up with Kurt and his antics!

Steeleco
10-26-2005, 08:29 PM
I never had any trouble with the Sumas product and I always felt I was getting a good deal. But when his mouth took over that day and he had my little girl in tears , he's lucky I didn't put a stop payment on his cheque. I'd take an animal and hand grind it myself before I give that guy another nickle.

Brambles
10-26-2005, 08:36 PM
I'd have put a stop payment on more than just his cheque, if you get my drift.

pupper
10-26-2005, 08:53 PM
what are kurts antics?

is he unethical?

i have realized he has a foul mouth but other than that....

justin

ruger#1
10-26-2005, 09:48 PM
all i can say is you better weigh your meat when it goes in and when it goes out, he screwed up a few bear hams of mine and when i confranted him he turned into a instant a double s hole, he is lucky he still has teeth. like i said , he needs a skull and cross bones above his door.:evil: :evil: :evil:

huntergirl270
10-27-2005, 04:09 PM
We have used Kurt for years and have been aware of his ways. He is definately a grouchy old man and a pervert if you are a woman. I don't go with the guys there anymore being a female myself :) Unfortunately, I think its common practice for a butcher to help himself to meat now and then. I know its not ethical by any means and you shouldn't have to accept it but I can guarantee you that Larry does it too as my mother used to work for him and saw many a cow or pig brought in by a hobby farmer switched with another less tasty one. Unfortunately unless you butcher it yourself you really don't know what or how much you are getting. Good luck to you in your search for another butcher. Let us all know if you find a good honest one. Currently we are trying to track down a meat saw and a cooler ourselves for doing our own butchering in the future.

bushape
10-27-2005, 05:48 PM
You dont need a meat saw, de-bone! The marrow gives it a gamey taste. Then you cut it up yourself into cubes , weigh it, then take it to Kurt and you wont get screwed. He does make excellent kolbassa and pepperoni, bar none.

Fred
10-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Currently we are trying to track down a meat saw and a cooler ourselves for doing our own butchering in the future.

Where roughly do you live. I come accross coolers fairly often at various prices. There is also a meatsaw coming up in a couple of weeks. If you would like to know where, PM me please. Fred

ex bc guide
10-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Just hit can am auctions you can get stuff like that there for pretty cheap.
Mike

huntergirl270
11-07-2005, 10:44 AM
OK.... I really need to post this. We officially got screwed by our butcher.(Insert Sumas Meats here) Last year the boys brought home two moose, one of which had to have about half cut away. So essentially, the group of 5 split 1.5 moose last year. This year the boys brought home three moose from their trip and we have WAYYYYYYYYYY less meat?????? Hubby came home the other night from picking up his share and we only have about 15 steaks, about 7 roasts and some ground and pepperoni (only enough pepperoni to do two batches in the dehydrator). I think there may be a bit of garlic coil as well. The guys in the group are really trustworthy and would have split the meat fairly so we are pretty sure that we were burned pretty bad. I am thinking of calling the butcher today and asking him what he does with all the extra meat and ask him where the rest of ours is.Good idea? Dont' know about that but I need to vent somewhere. With me being pregnant, I don't think he stands a chance lol! I don't want our share going to him next year so don't really care if I burn any bridge right now. Don't know about the rest of the group but I think we will be buying a cow next year to get us thru.
Thanks for listening all!

huntwriter
11-07-2005, 11:04 AM
What a shame and a annoyance this is for me to read all the bad news about the butchers around here.

I am planning to make a special shop for venison processing, but like I said it is still in the planning. I will be able to do everything. Quality and client service is our family tradition which I ininherited from my father.

I can do some venison processing for hunters but it has to be at your home since I have no room at my place. Also I cannot make sausages or any other meat products because I do not have the machienes. So you can see at the moment I am very much limited in my options.

But if I can help I will.

BigfishCanada
11-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Guys, Weymouth Meats has been there for decades. Larry is very honest and does an awesome job. hes on the border of Abortsford and mission. He also has my 450 pound trophy mule deer hanging from the hooks today!

Larry is very honest and does great work!

Weymouth Meats Co
(604) 826-2473
(604) 826-2441 (fax)

DeerSniper
11-07-2005, 11:56 AM
I have a buddy at work who was a butcher for years up in Quesnel, and he told me that he will show me how to properly butcher a deer on the next one I get. I am going hunting in 2 weeks and hopfeully will be bringing back another deer at that time. What I was thinking, is that if any of you are interested, you would be more than welcome to come over and watch the ordeal and maybe learn something. He told me that all you really need to do is watch someone doing it once or twice and most importantly........DON'T be afraid to try!!!!! Anyways, if anyone is interested, and my hunt is successful, I will repost and see if anyone wishes to tag along. FYI, I live in a townhouse....sheesh....:roll: so the butchering will be taking place in Vancouver at my buddy's house.

friendlyfisher
11-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Saunders meats is most definately the best place i have delt with they are super people and the product they put out is great I just recently moved to chilliwack but i still drive my meat back to langley.

Fred
11-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Saunders burned me last year fisher. Seems like they did a switchero on me. Fred

Jetboater
11-09-2005, 04:41 PM
I dont know If I am allowed to do this at my shop.but maybe a butcher wants to show everyone how to butcher the proper way there for he gets cleaner meat and everyone learns a little something, if everyone throws in a few bucks well buy a steer and butcher it here, I have a shop that could fit 20-30 people easily put a table in the center, and video tape as the whole process goes on. hopefully no butcher thinks we are trying to cut his throat(pardon the pun).
My shop is at the fraser valley auto mall just give an evening and a time.

Elkhound
11-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Now that would be worth while.

bushape
11-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Whatever you do, dont go to A&K Sausage in Maple Ridge. Ruined my Dads moose completely, and when confronted and asked if he was going to do anything to remedy the situation the @#$%$# laughed and bruntly said no. F--- him!

huntwriter
11-09-2005, 05:46 PM
I dont know If I am allowed to do this at my shop.but maybe a butcher wants to show everyone how to butcher the proper way there for he gets cleaner meat and everyone learns a little something, if everyone throws in a few bucks well buy a steer and butcher it here, I have a shop that could fit 20-30 people easily put a table in the center, and video tape as the whole process goes on. hopefully no butcher thinks we are trying to cut his throat(pardon the pun).
My shop is at the fraser valley auto mall just give an evening and a time.

Very good idea. I would be more than willing to give a little butchering seminar at your place. It is legal since the meat is processed for personal consumption and not for retail.

If you are interested send me a PM or Email.

wetcoastwillie
11-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi, Count me in for this!

Meatman
11-09-2005, 05:57 PM
I own a butchershop in Aldergrove and would be willing to show you guys some stuff especially if it makes the butchering easier. When I get the game in. Give me a call DiMassimo's Meat Market 604-856-9750 I have been cutting beef and game since 1987 and openned my shop last year.:grin: mdimassimo@shaw.ca

huntwriter
11-09-2005, 05:58 PM
blacktail3113- I just tried to send you a PM put it is not working, there is maybe still a bug in the system.

So I am going to do it this way, contact me at: masterbutcher@shaw.ca

muleymad
11-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago .The butcher i used in langley was ok but i wanted to try someone new .I tried a place called windmill meats in chilliwak right behind freds. I was really happy with them probably the best sausage we've ever had at a reasonable price.call fred's to get the number.

Fred
11-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey Mike, quit mucking about and get my pepperoni done! :biggrin: Fred

Steeleco
11-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi, Count me in for this!

I'm willing also, just need to nail a time.

lip_ripper00
11-09-2005, 11:13 PM
ya me too:grin:

Ddog
11-15-2005, 10:46 PM
a real good place is WEYMOUTH meats..he is located in Matsqui and he is a real nice fellow and so are all of his staff, as far as sumas meats is concerned..ol' Kurt turned to an A-Hole a few years back for me as well..but he does make good sausage but i will never return to him an neither will any of my hunting partners

Tarp Man
11-16-2005, 01:51 AM
I would love to get a few tips for butchering, but I need a time and date to confirm a spot. Once this is decided, I'll chime in.
-Tarp Man

eagleye
11-16-2005, 04:50 PM
It is depressing to hear these stories about unethical butchers, but sometimes, just sometimes, the butcher gets a bad rap unfairly also. I have been using the same butcher here in P.G. for at least 15 years and have found him to be trustworthy and honest in his dealings with me. However, he has told me about hunters bringing game in that was shot once in every quarter and then complaining when they lost a lot of weight from the hook to the processed product. Another cause for loss, is someone hanging their meat where it really dries out a lot. This results in extra trimming, which reduces the finished product. But, obviously when several hunters give the same negative feedback, there is a caution flag erected. I have cut my own game a few times, but don't have the desire or time to make the sausage, jerky, etc, so I continue to job it out. Regards, Eagleye.

Jetboater
11-16-2005, 05:13 PM
it is depressing but I had a blacktail that might give you 60lbs of meat if I was lucky brought to the butcher and I get 130 lbs of meat back, that is with maybe 30 lbs of sausage in total, I had told him I wanted the tenderloins but I have never seen a deer with 8 tenderloins.what worries me was if I was getting any of my own deer back?
he shortchanged me last time on the buffalo side that I brought in to him and this time he made up for it I guess.

ch valley hunter
11-17-2005, 05:56 PM
I just got my deer back for Windmill Meats in Vedder Crossing. He is great to deal with and his sausage is really good. 604-795-9517

huntwriter
11-17-2005, 06:40 PM
It is depressing to hear these stories about unethical butchers, but sometimes, just sometimes, the butcher gets a bad rap unfairly also. I have been using the same butcher here in P.G. for at least 15 years and have found him to be trustworthy and honest in his dealings with me. However, he has told me about hunters bringing game in that was shot once in every quarter and then complaining when they lost a lot of weight from the hook to the processed product. Another cause for loss, is someone hanging their meat where it really dries out a lot. This results in extra trimming, which reduces the finished product. But, obviously when several hunters give the same negative feedback, there is a caution flag erected. I have cut my own game a few times, but don't have the desire or time to make the sausage, jerky, etc, so I continue to job it out. Regards, Eagleye.

There is no denying it, there are some bad butchers out there just like in any professional field. But you make some valued points. A butcher only can give the hunter quality if the hunter brings him quality to begin with. A deer that is dirty has two or three shot wounds and perhaps has been hanging for a few days needs so much trimming that there hardly any meat will be left to work with.

Seldom but it does happen, some hunters expect way to much meat from an animal. Perhaps they look at it and go "Wow big animal plenty meat" and forget that by the time the skin and the bones are gone 40 to 50% of the animal will be gone. Now ad to this the trimmings such a fat, silverskin tendons and anoter 10% is gone. what you are left with from any animal after cutting is about 40% edible meat.

If this 40% have to be trimmed further because of bruising, dirt or even rot then yes you will be happy to end up with a shoping bag full of meat or less.

ruger#1
11-17-2005, 06:58 PM
here is a real good book on butchering, it is called dressing and cooking wild game, by the hunting and fishing library, best book i bot,wal mart should have them, they have other books from that company.

cwocarsten
12-12-2005, 02:18 AM
I bought a book on butchering. Did not read but used the pictures. Just cut the best steak cuts and cube the rest into food grade buckets (25lbs per) and then take 1 bucket at a time to your local butcher to get fresh sausage made as you need it. Carsten

farnsie
04-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Well I moved to Langley a few months back and now that bear season is open i'm looking for a butcher. 9 years is a long time and I've seen quality go downhill before so just wondering if you guys are still using the same butchers or any new ones opened up? I usually get sausage, pep, and some cold smoke stuff done and of course some cuts.

xfactor
04-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Ibtl:). Lol!!

recoil
04-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Maybe I have just been lucky but never had a problem with Sumas and its on the way back from my usual hunting grounds. Although for some reason the smokies they make are giant sized and will not fit in any conventional bun. And if you don't pick up you meat in a timely fashion they will yell at you, it has never happened to me but I have seen some other customers get reamed out, they get busy and have limited storage space so pick up your meat asap and bring you own containers, it's just common sense people.

In their defense I have seen some disasters show up there, for example last year some guys brought in three deer that were shot 4 days ago in early Oct and hides were still on, if it was me I would have refused to take them in.

If you want to cut costs and keep your butcher honest debone your own meat and have them weigh it on delivery, after they mix, stuff and smoke it, should be within 5-7% of the "before weight".

skuntor
04-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Sumas was great to me this year. Ullie is running the show now and you will like dealing with him. This thread came back from the dead after 9 years!

Grumpa Joe
04-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Get a book, watch a couple of videos and do it yourself. Had gutted and skinned a number of animals before but was hesitant about doing the butchering but bit the bullet last Fall and butchered a buddy's elk and by all accounts it turned out really good. Over Christmas made a variety of sausages up and they all turned out great. There's no going back now.

walks with deer
04-01-2014, 09:37 PM
I agree kurt is getting old and a snarly (european) talk to oulie he hos a honest man I have known since I was 3 badmouthing sumas seems you came in with a sense of entitlmwnt and thwy do not need your negative buisness.
After 25 years of using them my dad was off work and kurt cut our deer for free talk to the man and ďo not waje him up he is very good.

walks with deer
04-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Sorry fat fingers sense of entitlment

lip_ripper00
04-01-2014, 10:00 PM
who's the tard that started this thread?

farnsie
04-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Always nice to see the get a book comment and do it yourself. Well if I didn't have to move to this place(Langley) and was back home then I would never have asked the question but living in a suite makes it a little difficult to butcher a bear.........

BRimmer
04-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Country Meadows Meats in Pitt Meadows are the best IMO with Sport City Butcher in Surrey a close second. With both each cut is perfect. Both very clean as well.

Grumpa Joe
04-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Yes, living in a condo does limit your options. Manny at Country Meadows Meats in Pitt Meadows is good. Some places don't like handling bear though. The ones that do will often want you to freeze it for at least a month before they will process it. Check with them before you go.

I agree kurt is getting old and a snarly (european) talk to oulie he hos a honest man I have known since I was 3 badmouthing sumas seems you came in with a sense of entitlmwnt and thwy do not need your negative buisness.
After 25 years of using them my dad was off work and kurt cut our deer for free talk to the man and ďo not waje him up he is very good.

I had Sumas process my first deer and they did a fine job although they were expensive and when I asked for Italian sausage Kurt said " No, you want Bratwurst".

I know the circumstances of the OP's situation and I totally understand his perspective about Sumas Meats. I will not divulge those details, that is for him to do if he chooses, but I believe that most people would react the same way given those circumstances. It certainly was not a matter of feeling entitled or confrontational.

Steeleco
04-01-2014, 11:18 PM
who's the tard that started this thread?

Talk about waking the dead, thankfully this TARD started the thread before the rules were changed. Now I get to close it LOL