PDA

View Full Version : Should be outa here.

partsman
09-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Should be leaving Oct.11 or 12th for 7-08 for whatever is open up there, will be around Abhau Lake and Stoney Lake, basically hoping to find something to bag.
Will just be nice to be away.

Amphibious
09-24-2004, 10:25 AM
I see wuite a few mule deer and chickens around tere :D did see a "black" Caribou near narrow lake this summer...

09-24-2004, 11:14 AM
l have hunted quite a bit just north of there on the 400 road system.....good place to find your moose calf or inmature. Also have seen some dandy mulies in that part of the country and whitetails lower down towards the fraser river . That is all in the same general area.
lf l was you, l would give some thought about being there for the calf openning on the 10th if your schedual allows.............first come first serve :lol:

swamper
09-24-2004, 01:14 PM
The only bad thing about being here in 7-08 during the calf season is that there are so darn many hunters that the roads are like a demolition derby. I always hunt elsewhere during that time. Not only that, I refuse to shoot calves. I know there are probably reasons they allow this senseless slaughter but for the life of me I can't fathom what they might be. If you are going to be hunting the Ahbau area, you should see quite a few critters. Watch out for logging trucks on the main 700 road. Good luck.

Mulie_Hunter
09-24-2004, 01:45 PM
I've hunted there before seen a few moose there's some nice big bulls in that country. Don't shoot calves its low and there not worth the tag. Just My Opinion

Thunderstix
09-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Shooting calves is all about population control and may appear "low" but it makes good sense. It is also about mortality rates in calves over the winter.

partsman
09-28-2004, 08:48 AM
:cry:
Well hunt has been cancelled, so will try and get away for a couple of days at least.

3kills
09-28-2004, 11:00 AM
thats not good..sorry ur hunt was canceled

partsman
09-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Well got a call from one of my buddies from the original group, he wanted to get away and do some fishing, I told him I would go, but I am taking a rifle too, plus a 22/410 Savage.
We will take a Canoe, plus two ATV'S and head to Relay Creek as that is where he figured to go, plus will try fishing at Marshall Lake.
So looks like I will get some time in the bush after all.

Tank
09-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Don't shoot calves its low and its not worth the tag.

It takes a whole lotta calves to die of predation and other natural causes for one mature bull to survive and pass along his genes. So taking one bull in his prime has much more negative consequences on the local moose population in an area than instead selecting one calf that may or may not survive the winter anyways. just my two cents

partsman
10-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Well we are going now it seems to the Nahatlach area, and hoping to include my 81 year old father, so will see if my buddy can finally decide where we should go. :roll:

Fred
10-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Good luck partsman, you're going to need it in that area. I have driven from the Harrison to the Nahatlatch and seen nothing more that a couple of Grouse. Well,except for hundreds of nimrods with guns! :o Fred

partsman
10-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Well thanks for all the replies, but I think by showing him some of the responses, he has decided to go to Marshall Lake and Relay Creek.
And he seems to finally realise that he has to get here Saturday to get the trailer and load the truck, and then we will head to North Van for the ATV's and get some sleep and leave Sunday.
I was starting to think he planned on doing everything including changing the tires on his truck and grocery shop and load up and try to leave all in the same day.
But now we can take the time so we are not rushed, we do have two weeks to hunt, so one day won't kill us. :roll:

partsman
10-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Well we are back, saw lots of does and their young, saw a cow and calf moose, saw where one guy brought in a six by four mulie, then after the first week we left Relay and went to camp at Marshall Lake and a fellow by the name of Len, got a two point mulie not too far from the lake.
So a few were getting lucky but not us, no fish either, tried both the creeks and lake and nothing biting.
Six grouse and a nice walk in the woods was the sum total of the trip, but still better than sitting at home.

Freshtracks
10-28-2004, 12:32 AM
Sounds like a great trip partsman. Did you try fishing Carole Lk just down from Marshal Lk? How's your bro making out? Hopefully everything is working out there.

partsman
10-28-2004, 07:20 AM
FT,no we never stopped there, I believe it used to be called Poison Lake, till th PC folk changed the name.

I came back to find my bro has moved out and looks like despite him wanting to make a go of things that she wants nothing to do with it, so he has a place of his own and I guess they will sell the house and go there separate ways.
I believe they will share custody of his one boy that is still at home, who is 10 and has a learning disibility, which is going to be rough on the little guy.