PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Guides?

cowboy-up69
12-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Im planning on goin hunting next year in Alberta. I want to hunt big muleys and whiteys. Can anyone recommend a guiding outfit, where the prices aint bad, and where Im garanteed to get something big? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Cliff

BCrams
12-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Im planning on goin hunting next year in Alberta. I want to hunt big muleys and whiteys. Can anyone recommend a guiding outfit, where the prices aint bad, and where Im garanteed to get something big? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Cliff

Whats wrong with hunting big bucks in BC ?

A couple points

there are no guarantees on a guided hunt - especially for something big - there are lots of "just average" bucks taken for every big one taken by an outfitter
you're looking at a cost of at least 4500 US and up to 8000 US for the better hunts Some bow hunts will go cheaper in the 3500 range.
it is much cheaper to find someone willing to "hunter host" you on a whitetail hunt and you can put in for mule deer draws
you will have a far better chance getting a big buck (whitetail or mule deer) right here in BC if you learn to hunt and do your homework......not to mention cheaper.But if you're doing it for the hunting experience and adventure of going out of province .... by all means go for it.

elkguide
12-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Phone Calvin Kotstynuk in Rocky Mountain House , I used to work for him when He had a guiding area here in BC. He's a class act and If he can't help you, he'll point ya in the right direction. Good Luck.

David Heitsman
03-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I will put my two cents in here and recommend Willow Creek Outfitters
in Nanton, AB south of Calgary. You can find his website for yourself.
The owner is Andre and he guided me to some great animals down in New Zealand this last spring. When on NZ he mentioned he had muleys and whitetail in AB and I said I might be interested. He also is a sheep guide for Rubty Range in the Yukon. Long story short.

I fly to Calgary on Tuesday PM and by 5:00 PM Wednesday, I am back in Abbotsford with a 163" non-typ mule deer. It was the shortest hunt I ever had! Glassed about 15 4 pts in the first hour, took another hour to stalk and shoot this one and then a couple more hours and I was back in Calgary at the airport.

Of course I rebooked for fall 2007 and will hold out for a 180 ish or better typical deer. My picture made his brochure but not his website yet.

WoodOx
03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
A lot to know about Alberta - and you need to define "Big".

I would recommend Old Man river Outfitters. Theyre an hour south of Calgary.

I was hunting there last year - the biggest buck I saw in three days was 185+ typical - but I have no where near an opportunity to harvest him.

I took a 177 nontypical. The other hunters there at that time took 1501-70 class deer (I think one was a 170ish typical so quite nice.)

You will see many 150-165 class 4pts, so dont shoot the first you see.

Talk to KELLY at old man river - hes a good guy.

http://members.tripod.com/oldmanriver/index.html

Cheers

30-06
03-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Silver Sage Outfitters
Alberta: Pronghorn antelope, mule deer, white-tailed deer
28 Upland Dr., Brooks, Alberta T1R OB2
Contact Billy by phone (403) 362-4842, fax (403) 362-4870
E: silversage@shaw.ca (silversage@shaw.ca)

jwstevenson
07-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I second silver sage outfitters and would add Anchor D Outfitting near Turner Valley, AB. Dewey Matthews was awesome.

springpin
07-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Wow, digging for old threads

blueboy
07-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Silver stage outtfitters is the way to go if i was looking for a big buck