PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate cat hunt

BlacktailStalker
12-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Ran into a buddy today while christmas shopping. His cousin lost 3 dogs the other day to a cat. I guess on the way home from a hunt, one ran across the mainline and he let 3 of his 5 dogs out after it, figuring it'd be an easy tree. Dark fell and he came back in the morning as he has done many times, to find one of his dogs dead and the other 2 hurt maimed beyond repair which he had to shoot on the spot. A sad and expensive day for him, as well as a painful night for the dogs. Figures the snow was too deep and they couldn't dodge the swatting cat.
I hunted with him a few years ago and his dogs were very seasoned and he is definitely a veteran cat hunter. Defintely the greatest downfall of cougar hunting and it happens to the best of them.

lip_ripper00
12-19-2006, 11:21 PM
hard on the owner, but the dogs where doing what they loved to do:sad:

stixnstones
12-20-2006, 01:43 AM
sorry to hear about your losses.i saw an article in a issue of big buck about the same sort of thing. it showed a picture of one of the dead dogs with the owner it was really sad to see.all the best.hope you find that cat.

blaker_99
12-20-2006, 03:01 AM
sorry to hear my man effin cougars tough as shit, takes an excellent hunter to let his companions go. Thoughts go out to you my friend.

SHAKER
01-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Ouch! Not to cool. It's too bad when great hounds go down in battle. It's nicer to retire them when their too old to run and give them their last days by a warm fire and maybe a chew on the odd trainer just so they know their still alive. Sorry to hear about this.

NEEHAMA
01-03-2007, 02:29 PM
sad for the group. however there is an element of fairness here isn't there. if you chase wonderful killing machines like cougars......

Frango
01-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Few years back I was along on a ministry cougar tag program.We followed one cat for about 2 hrs.The CO's dogs had it treed when we got there.It was already taged so we admired it for a few min and headed back to the trucks.About half way back the lead dog fell over.We had not noticed a bad cat bite on its neck it was bleeding to death.The CO carried it all the way back.No easy job it was about 5km.It lived.But the same dog was killed by a cat about 6 months later.

SaskatchewanOutdoors
01-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Wow...

Cougar would be terribly strong animal I presume...

houndogger
01-03-2007, 11:12 PM
BSA that is the biggest bunch of B.S. I have ever heard!!!!!!!! If that were true I guess all my dogs would be dead by now. It is B.S. like that puts quotas on cats. I sure hope you don't have hounds. Especially for the fellas that live near you that love to see some hound dogs work.

Bluetick
01-04-2007, 06:57 AM
LOL...Thats what I was thinking!

BSA that is the biggest bunch of B.S. I have ever heard!!!!!!!! If that were true I guess all my dogs would be dead by now. It is B.S. like that puts quotas on cats. I sure hope you don't have hounds. Especially for the fellas that live near you that love to see some hound dogs work.

Marc
01-04-2007, 07:20 AM
I would think that a cat that has been treed several times would tree more eagerly the next time as he knows the dogs will stop when he climbs the tree.

BlacktailStalker
01-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Am I missing something here? Wheres BSA's reply??

Barracuda
01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
No idea either , I guess i am out of the loop :lol:

JohnS
01-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Am I missing something here? Wheres BSA's reply??

I deleted it since it was a Bunch Of BS :lol: ..... to funny some people are always smart A$$es on the net.... :lol: ********

BlacktailStalker
01-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Figured something like that lol.
If I had the room and lack of neighbors, or just ones I didnt like lol, I'd have hounds in a heart beat. Maybe in the next couple years.

houndogger
01-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Sorry to hear about your buddys cousins hounds Blacktailstalker