PDA

View Full Version : ATV help

CanAm500
12-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Ok, im really really wanting a ATV. I need some help as it will be mine and my dads first ATV. We are looking at three different makes/models/prince range.

First off- the cheapest. Is the 250cc from Canadian Tire.
I picked this ATV because it will be our first, and also wont break the bank, plus I gt 10% off of it:) . It is a 2x4 ATV. Take a look h ttp://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672995&bmUID=1166591082079&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443289563&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true (http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672995&bmUID=1166591082079&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443289563&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true)

Second is the Yamaha Kodiak 450. I picked this ATV as my second option because it does have more power than the CDN Tire one, it costs more, and should last long than the CDN Tire one.

Third is the Can-Am/Bombardier Outlander MAX 500 H.O. XT. This ATV comes with a winch, handguards, beter tires, bumber, etc...everything loaded for a hunting ATV. It costs almost double than the Yamaha, but should last long.

We are looking for a ATV that would be used for hunting/dragging game out of the bush, and for general recreational riding (mainly me:lol: ). Money is a issue here, kinda why I picked three. What are your guys's opinons on these three? Which would have the best "bang for the bucK" and which one would have the best re-sale value if we had to sell?
Me and dad are new to the ATV world and would like some help.

*Note. If we do decide on the CDN Tire we would be probly getting two. The Can-Am is a 2 up/two seater. If we decided on the Yamaha, it would be just one.

tuchodi
12-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Get the Can-Am you won't be sorry.

lip_ripper00
12-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Get th canadian tire special, this way you will learn how to fix them, you will get in to better shape pushing the damn thing, and learn phone skills trying to find parts for it. Look to see who carries parts for Yahama or Can Am in your area. Aint no fun if it's broke and can't get parts

The Hermit
12-19-2006, 10:39 PM
I hear ya Paintballer... I want a truck and ATV almost as much as a 15 year old boy wants an 18 year old girl!! I have decided that the 4x4 ATV is the only way to go for a full service hunting work horse. You can always buy a good winch for what ever model you decide to get. What about used machines... get a two year old top-o-the-line for the same price as a mid-level new one?

Blacktail
12-19-2006, 10:41 PM
go with the yamaha

bigwhiteys
12-19-2006, 10:45 PM
this way you will learn how to fix them, you will get in to better shape pushing the damn thing, and learn phone skills trying to find parts for it.

LOL... okay that was funny... LCP I am not a ATV expert and won't claim to be but I know one thing... you're going to get what you pay for!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Fisher-Dude
12-19-2006, 10:52 PM
The Can-Am is the best choice of those three. Can-Ams are now the best selling ATVs in Canada. Besides that, it has independent rear suspension which is the real deal, and has the accessories that will make it a good hunting machine right outta the box. Japanese parts are expensive...Chinese parts are crap.

Buy the right machine once. In the long run it's much cheaper than buying the wrong one many times.

ruger#1
12-19-2006, 10:53 PM
http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-CA/ check them out they are a little high to lift a deer onto, but they are a good machine and are built in CANADA. lots of power. if i had the money it would be the 650HO fuel injected model.

CanAm500
12-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Parts for Can-Am and Yamaha would be easy to find as there is a dealership for Can-Am in Nanaimo and Yamaha in Duncan.

Ive been to all the company sites...lol...kinda getting to know them....:mrgreen:

lip_ripper00
12-19-2006, 11:01 PM
somebody please post a link that showes they are manufactured in Canada. I can't seem to find it? (Can Am)

CanAm500
12-19-2006, 11:08 PM
somebody please post a link that showes they are manufactured in Canada. I can't seem to find it? (Can Am)

Search for Bombardier.

ruger#1
12-19-2006, 11:12 PM
use the link i provided unless QUEBEC isnt in CANADA.

4pointhunter
12-19-2006, 11:31 PM
i would go for the yamaha i just sold a 650, its nice but too big and heavy, i couldn't even close my tailgate, the 400 would be a perfect hunting machine

Ubertuber
12-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Buy the Yamaha and you won't have to buy as many parts :)

Save some cash, buy the Yamaha and throw a decent set of tires on it. If you plan on using it for what you said, it'll be more than enough bike. Better mileage and it will last many years without issue.

all that said, I'd buy a Honda 8-)

mapguy
12-20-2006, 07:30 AM
i bought a quad from canadian tire had to argue about them taking it back
when the sevice mechanic couldn,t make it stay running.the kodiak are good my buddy just picked up a 350 polaris with dual suspension in the rear. Uses less fuel than a 450 seems to be just as peppy

Ron.C
12-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Go to Duncan Motorsports and check out a Yamaha Kodiak. I bought a Yamaha Bruin 350 there last year. It is great, runs good, no problems at all. In hind sight though, the Kodiak 450 is a better buy. You get the 4 wheel independant supension, and diff lock, which is awesome when high traction is needed. Neither of these features are on the Bruin, but the Bruin is around $1000 less.

frenchbar
12-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Im happy with the yamaha kodiak 450 i just purchased new a few months ago ,always have been a yamy fan ,all of the dirt bikes i had in my ridin days were yamahas,go with the best yamaha ,the next one i buy for the wife will be the 350 bruin.

Rod
12-20-2006, 08:28 AM
I second the Hermit's idea, buy used and let someone else take the hit on depreciation.

I don't know much about ATV's but I bought a used Yamaha Big Bear (1990) for 2 grand with 4 new tires tossed in and I bought a cheap winch kit for $100. Not the prettiest rig in the woods but the price was good and I figured I could do plenty of repairs with what I saved but it hasn't cost me a dime so far!

CanAm500
12-20-2006, 12:38 PM
We are gonna head into Duncan Motorcycles on the weekend for a look-see.

youngfellla
12-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Can't go wrong with a Yamaha. The Kodiak 450 is basically a scaled down version of the Grizzly. I have a 660 Grizz with over 2500 kms, only work I've done is regular maintenance and a few mods. My dad's 600 Grizzly has almost 10 000 k on it, and still has the original belt.8-)

Seth
12-20-2006, 06:10 PM
The Kodiak 400 was voted best all around value by Quad magazine. I've had mine for two seasons now and absolutely no regrets here.

lip_ripper00
12-20-2006, 06:16 PM
use the link i provided unless QUEBEC isnt in CANADA. their head office is in Canada, they are an international company manufactured over seas partially assembled in Canada

CanAm500
12-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Ok, i stoped in at Duncan Motorcylcle today, got a broucher for their atv's . I also looked at the Kodiak 450 in camo. Nice machine. Me and dad are going to go and look there, talk to a salesman and then go and look at polaris at Monty's boat sales.

Has anyone ever delt with Duncan Motorcycle? Good, bad? Easy to "dicker" with?

30-06
12-20-2006, 09:11 PM
get the honda Foreman 450,,there perfect..or the honda Rubicon......or even better the Honda Rincon 680..there the ferrari of quads

000buck
12-20-2006, 09:25 PM
try arctic cat in duncan on boys rd, i went through this for hunting round these parts. A/C's 300 4x4 was the best choice for local work. the 289 cc suzuki power plant seems like it may lack grunt but it is well made up for in the 15 speed trans. the body size is much shorter and narrower than 400+ machines giving less grief with access to tight areas and more upright stability. I have had mine for 4 years no troubles easily hauls pretty large loads ( im 240 lbs + a black bear at about 300lbs + all the crap ive got onboard about 130lbs worth) and gets you home. price tag was 7500.00 new. Only downfall to the machine is the dealer is a bit of a flake but otherwise ok.

30-06
12-20-2006, 09:36 PM
i dislike artic cat,,people might like them,,but have seen more of those than any other atv blowin up/broken down

CanAm500
12-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Dad dosnt like the Arctic cats for some reason.

Seth
12-20-2006, 09:48 PM
If price is a consideration you should know that your paying roughly $1800 more for the Kodiak 450 over the 400 only to recieve a digital display and a front diff lock.

CanAm500
12-20-2006, 09:56 PM
If price is a consideration you should know that your paying roughly $1800 more for the Kodiak 450 over the 400 only to recieve a digital display and a front diff lock.

Its the engine....

talver
12-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Yamaha Kodiak 450. would be my choice if i could not geat a Yamaha grizzly

dedapair
12-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I think you can't go wrong with the yamaha. I have the 660 Grizzly and can't say enought good things about it. As for fuel economy, I get about 8 hours riding from a tankful and have yet to be on reserve. One thought though, When I purchased mine (2003) the prices in Alberta were between $1500 to $1800 cheaper BEFORE the taxes. This past fall a fellow I work with bought a 500 Suzuki from Washington, after expenses, duty etc. He saved almost $3000...

tooty
12-23-2006, 08:41 PM
The crappy tire quad is a Yamaha beartracker.The plastic is cheaper,but basically everything is still Yamaha.I'm not sure,but I think they are built in Korea or somewhere like that.Buy the 400 or 450 Yamaha.The 450 is a better machine.The Honda 350 is also a very nice machine,and Hondas just run and run.

mntman
12-23-2006, 09:46 PM
yes they are yam's, but with a ton of the goodies taken down, all the big name quads are great and it will come down to price and what catches your eye, shop around ge the most for your money diff locks are great and a winch is a must most tires will be ok for a season but after market muds work well just make sure your axles will take the strain.

Phil
12-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Buy a Honda 400cc to 500cc. You don't need idependent rear suspension for hunting. You definitely don't need to repair the extra components in the independent rear. Honda has the best tranny of all the ATVs and no one can dispute the reliabilty of the engines. I use mine almost every day around the property and while hunting, it is unstoppable. DON'T believe the propaganda sales DVD put out by CAN-AM, it just isn't true. I have tried a few of their performance tests and I did not get the same results(pulling power and traction test).
I have spoken to a hunter who owns the CAN AM and the Honda and he said he would buy the Honda over the CAN AM if he were to do it over again. The main comment was that the Honda was a lot tougher and more problem free. I also have an aquantance who owns a dealership where he sells the Honda and the Can Am. In his opinion and in the opinion of his shop mechanic the Honda was the way to go.
I have looked closely at the Canadian tire model and in my opinion it is worth every penny they are asking for it, mabey even a bit more, but I still wouldn't trust it with my life. I have n't looked into the Yamaha as closely as the others mentioned but they are definitly a formidable machine. Best of luck.

000buck
12-24-2006, 12:22 AM
i dislike artic cat,,people might like them,,but have seen more of those than any other atv blowin up/broken down

Mine works just fine never misses a beat

Allen50
12-24-2006, 01:18 AM
have you ever looked at the Arctic Cat Dealer in Duncan, they sell second hand quads all ready to go , and you can get then on a payment plan if you have good credt, i got a 400 and its great, fun riding, i ran it for ten days hunting and put 60 miles on it each day and had notrouble with it at all, so good luck on looking for a quad, remember your going to drive a long way from your truck or home, and want to get back too,,, with out having to walk,,, good luck,,

Fisher-Dude
12-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Buy a Honda 400cc to 500cc. You don't need idependent rear suspension for hunting. You definitely don't need to repair the extra components in the independent rear.

Do you know of anyone who has ever had to repair a rear independent component? I don't, and I ride and hunt with lots of people with independents. It's a story made up by those dealers who are stuck selling solid axle buck-boards IMO.

CanAm500
12-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Ok thanks for the help. I wont be back on untill after wednesday, we may have a atv then....

greybark
12-24-2006, 07:03 PM
:lol: Hey Fisher- Dude , I think you are right about the dealer trying or getting special pricing to move the solid rear axel quads . Face it in short time all will have IRS .
:) This spring I bought a Yamaha 450 and am more then pleased .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Phil
12-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Do you know of anyone who has ever had to repair a rear independent component? I don't, and I ride and hunt with lots of people with independents. It's a story made up by those dealers who are stuck selling solid axle buck-boards IMO.

No, not yet, but when I do I'll be sure to offer them a tow back to their truck. You just can't beat the simplicity of the solid rear axle and I can't say that for the type of riding I do hunting an IRS would make any difference in comfort or ridability to warrent the extra dollars or risk of breakdown.

CanAm500
12-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Whats the insurance requirments in BC for atvs?

Phil
12-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Insurance is not required on back roads as far as I know. I looked into insureing mine through my home policy and it was rediculously expensive. I also checked ICBC which was more reasonable but still too much.

Fisher-Dude
12-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Insurance is not required on back roads as far as I know. I looked into insureing mine through my home policy and it was rediculously expensive. I also checked ICBC which was more reasonable but still too much.

Actually, it is illegal to ride an atv on a forest service road without at least $200,000 third party liability insurance. I believe the fine is $345. The COs and Forest Service Officers enforce it. The cost if you injure someone would wipe you out financially. Join the BCWF and you get $2,000,000 insurance with your membership that covers atv riding on FSRs while fishing or hunting.

Frango
12-24-2006, 10:45 PM
It is not needed and is very expensive.Lock your ATV when you can and hope it never gets stolen.Having a licence for your ATV would I think? help the theft issue.

Fisher-Dude
12-24-2006, 10:57 PM
From the Violation Ticket Administration and Fines Regulation:

Forest Service Road Use Regulation, B.C. Reg. 70/2004section

section 12 (1)Use forest service road without required insurance $345

Liability insurance 12(1) A person must not operate or cause to be operated a motor vehicle or trailer, other than a motor vehicle or trailer described by section 2 (5) of the Motor Vehicle Act, on a forest service road unless (a)the driver, motor vehicle and trailer are insured under a valid and subsisting contract of accident insurance providing insurance against liability to third parties in the amount of at least $200 000, and (b)the driver carries written evidence, supplied by the insurer, of the insurance referred to in paragraph (a), or a copy of that written evidence, and produces it, on demand, to a peace officerhttp://www.for.gov.bc.ca/tasb/images/rarrow.gifor an officialhttp://www.for.gov.bc.ca/tasb/images/larrow.gif.

1 In this regulation: "motor vehicle" means a vehicle that is (a)intended to be self propelled, and (b)designed primarily for travel on land on surfaces other than rails;

Phil
12-25-2006, 12:42 AM
FisherDude,
Don't get me wrong, I believe in insurance and want to be protected on service roads. This is good advice. I was not aware of such a policy through BCWF. Does this insurance through BCWF also cover theft? Regardless, could you please post membership info/cost. Thanks

Allen50
12-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Well i guess its all how one cares for his toys, atv's are no diffrent then saying that ford is better then chev, or dodge has more power in there diesel then ford or chev, you get what you pay for, and you buy what you like, if we all had the same then there would be no need to have so many diffrent ones to chose from,, i guess all i can say is good luck in what you chose and pay for,, Marry Christmas, to all..
early to bed, early to rise, Hunt like Hell, and make up Lies,

Fisher-Dude
12-25-2006, 09:44 AM
FisherDude,
Don't get me wrong, I believe in insurance and want to be protected on service roads. This is good advice. I was not aware of such a policy through BCWF. Does this insurance through BCWF also cover theft? Regardless, could you please post membership info/cost. Thanks

Hey Phil, their insurance doesn't cover theft, but does give you the 3rd party liability you need to ride FSRs. My theft insurance has 4 legs, sharp teeth, and a loud bark. 8-)

The link below gets you to the BCWF's membership page. It's only $40 a year and you get six issues of "The Outdoor Edge" magazine as well. Well worth the money!

http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/committees/membership/

Phil
12-25-2006, 11:24 AM
FisherDude,
Thanks for the link to BCWF. I read the third party liability disclaimer. It reads as follows:

Does this policy cover the use of an ATV?
This policy extends to cover off road liability, for ATV’s that are not licensed or required to be licensed by ICBC on non-public roads. It is the responsibility of the member to ensure that the road used for ATV driving is non-public. The member should contact the local motor vehicle or the forestry service in the area of riding to obtain confirmation of this. Also, the coverage is only for the legal owner of the ATV, the coverage is excluded if the ATV is loaned or rented to others and it is excluded for general joy riding.

I thought all forest service roads were public roads. This policy sais that it only provides coverage for ATV use on non-public roads. If this is the case it would limit coverage to private land only. What is your take on this? Otherwise it looks like a great policy for outdoorsmen/ hunters to carry incase of accidental injury to another hunter or member of the public.

Fisher-Dude
12-25-2006, 11:50 AM
FisherDude,
Thanks for the link to BCWF. I read the third party liability disclaimer. It reads as follows:

Does this policy cover the use of an ATV?
This policy extends to cover off road liability, for ATV’s that are not licensed or required to be licensed by ICBC on non-public roads. It is the responsibility of the member to ensure that the road used for ATV driving is non-public. The member should contact the local motor vehicle or the forestry service in the area of riding to obtain confirmation of this. Also, the coverage is only for the legal owner of the ATV, the coverage is excluded if the ATV is loaned or rented to others and it is excluded for general joy riding.

I thought all forest service roads were public roads. This policy sais that it only provides coverage for ATV use on non-public roads. If this is the case it would limit coverage to private land only. What is your take on this? Otherwise it looks like a great policy for outdoorsmen/ hunters to carry incase of accidental injury to another hunter or member of the public.

FSRs are classified as "non-public" roads. Public roads are maintained by the Ministry of Transportation (Highways), and you can't ride an ATV on them no matter what. Public roads are the ones that you will see being plowed and sanded by the MoT contractors in the winter. An example is the Beaver Lake Road in Winfield...it is public all the way to Dee Lake, and you will get a hefty fine for riding your ATV on it. After Dee Lake, it's a non-public FSR. Once you hit a brown "Forest Service Road" name sign, you can ride your ATV. For riding on FSRs, the insurance you get with your BCWF or affiliated club membership covers you.

This thread has sprung up in the Van Island forum as well, sorry to repeat it all!

See page 13 of the hunting regs about "Highway No Shooting Areas" and think about the definition of "public road" they use there. It's any MoT maintained road. FSRs aren't maintained public roads, and are therefore classified as "non-public". "Public" refers to who maintains them, not to whether we have access to use them. If the local loggers are plowing them, they are "non-public" roads that you can ride on.

tomigunz
12-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Hey i got a 2004 Honda 400 4x4 with a 2500 warn winch, gps, full front ferring, passenger box under 2000k on it. Its at courtney motorsports, talk to scott there hes a good friend of mine . It just got a complete tune-up and is a ready to go. i want $6000 cash. Im selling it cause i just bought a new 750 Brute Force. Theres a few pictures in my gallery. Pm if u got any other questions.

CanAm500
12-25-2006, 02:19 PM
For riding, i ment, not storing it...storing wouldnt be a problem.

We did get a card from BCWF, through our club. Ill have to check to see whos name is on it, as we got it through our Gun club so we should all be covered.

I just had a minute to check in.

Thunderstix
12-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Get a Suzuki Samurai then you can drive your "atv" to and from the hunting grounds.:lol:

Farmer
12-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Get a Suzuki Samurai then you can drive your "atv" to and from the hunting grounds.:lol:

A friend with a Samuri told me that he gets better gas mileage with his Samuri than his 600 quad. Also it has a heater and a roof. And when he tows it behind his truck, he can fill it with gear. Also no morning time restrictions for using it in the North.

Gord
not a quad owner but hopefully someday!

CanAm500
12-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Guys,

We just bought a new Can-Am Outlander 500 H.O. MAX xt. It is a two-up so two people can ride on it. We are going to go and get insurance tomorrow and be riding it all day long....!!!

srupp
01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
hmmmm used a Honda 300 trx since 1995 black bear, grizzly bear, moose, deer, and had a plow on it every winter...not a problem...ever..they are bullet proof reliable and I depend on it to get me out of the woods..often a LOOOOOOONG way out in the woods.....for me dependability is job #1....and then is fuel economy......not one repair since 1995..about to put new rubber on this spring..and not even single drip of oil anywhere...

Steven

browningboy
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Strike another vote for Yamaha (Grizzly), its by far the best bang for your buck hands down, check an atv review forum, all the writings there.:smile:

Fisher-Dude
01-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Here's why I'm not a Yamaha or any other Japanese ATV fan...getting parts can be a problem! This quote is from the "Stuck in the bush" thread:

.....its been in th eshop for 8 months now..the part was usppose to come oct 4th..so were gunan pick it up and take it to penticton honda..and then it will run like new again:)

That's another reason why I will stick with North American quads.

30-378-magnum
01-27-2007, 10:42 PM
try the polaris hawkeye 300 i just got one it keeps up to my buddys kodiak 450 and it handles better ive ridden both go to polaris website and chek it out . its also costs less than kodiak

30-378-magnum
01-27-2007, 10:55 PM
check out thepolaris hawkeye 300 i have one budddy has grizzly 450i have rode both polaris handles better goes just as fast and is cheaper go to polaris website and check it out my buddy wishes he had.ive also rode a honda and the steering wears you out and reviews ive read say can am handles worse than honda

browningboy
02-01-2007, 10:42 PM
The polaris have weak transmissions as well as poor performance, I've owned all the quads, and the best buy was the grizzly, as for parts I've never had a problem but actually never required any but the "domestics" were heavy and had crappy handling!

Jonas111
12-10-2007, 11:25 PM
CAN AM was by far the best choice. I have the Outlander 800 XT and there is not a quad on the market that can touch it. The 500 is fuel injected and comes with everything you will need to hunt.

Good Choice and enjoy.

Spokerider
12-12-2007, 11:21 AM
quads.ca

Lots of good info here......

TriggerMag
12-16-2007, 08:48 AM
The arctic cat THUNDERCAT cleans up on the Outlander 800

OOBuck
12-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Ok, i stoped in at Duncan Motorcylcle today, got a broucher for their atv's . I also looked at the Kodiak 450 in camo. Nice machine. Me and dad are going to go and look there, talk to a salesman and then go and look at polaris at Monty's boat sales.

Has anyone ever delt with Duncan Motorcycle? Good, bad? Easy to "dicker" with?

Good bunch! Owner is a hunter and willing to dicker. I bought a 700cc
Sportsman off them this year.

M.Dean
12-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I own 2 Yamaha's,a 2000 400 Kodiak and a 2007 450 Kodiak and do a lot of quad riding. I've had very little problems. The after market bikes are JUNK!!! Sure there cheaper but there made cheaper! I have heard nothing good about them, Beware of cheap imitations!!!

humble hunter
12-19-2007, 09:44 PM
I have 3 quads, a 2000 honda 450, a 2005 polaris 500 h.o, and a 05 bombardier 500. I ride the honda, it has never broken down on me and is quiet. The POLARIS is a P.O.S. it has 800 kms on it and it sits in my garage with a blown tranny. The bombardier is okay but I am going to sell it for another new Honda. STAY AWAY FROM THE POLARIS. You also don't need a big machine , I have never run out of power on my 450. I also bought 2 of the chinese 110cc quads for my twin 8 yr old girls and they are the biggest pieces of crap out there. I have spent more time on my back fixing them than riding. If you buy the chinese brand you better take a large tool kit and a lot of extra screws and bolts. (and a lighter to burn it after you get frustrated)

interceptor
12-19-2007, 10:13 PM
I have an 04 660 Grizzly with all the fruit, it gets out to some far away places and always gets me home again.

You don't need a big machine but man,,,,

Thay are a ton of fun :)

Cheers Noel

Hunterguy
12-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Get my insurance through I.C.B.C. Storage for a quad worth 10,000, storage, fire and theft for 6 months 200 dollars, than when I go hunting I insure by the day, 2,00000 liability and fire and theft works out to about seven dollars a day. Piece of mind. Can't believe that some of you that hunt don't realize that you need liability to quad the fsrs. Better read up or you will be paying up!