PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about winter wheat and layout blinds

Kudu
02-21-2013, 08:05 AM
How do you do it?

Looking at the dead honkers thread - They simply used brown grass / broken haystack method with deecs to distract the geese from seeing the lumps.

Has anyone else had as much success with this method? I find the geese just flare off at 50 paces after having a look - when I try that trick.

pnbrock
02-21-2013, 08:33 AM
The key to layout blinds take all hard corners out and blend to ground this will take a bit of effort .the more you don't look like a lump in a flat field the better. Grass ,corn stalks , hay or straw filling all straps is the key!

Kudu
02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
The key to layout blinds take all hard corners out and blend to ground this will take a bit of effort .the more you don't look like a lump in a flat field the better. Grass ,corn stalks , hay or straw filling all straps is the key!

Oh Bugger!! - and there I was thinking that our camouflage was good...

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/IMGP0382_zps6f3654e5.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/IMGP0378_zps5e0591e9.jpg

pnbrock
02-21-2013, 04:08 PM
I like the set up area in the first pic , tough to set up in the second pic.

Kudu
02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
yep - the top one is easy - its the bottom one that we struggle with.

thats why I asked how does everyone else do it.

lorneparker1
02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Well the key to setting up successfully IMO in the bottom pciture is more decoys and a change in setup. I set up a fairly big loose U. In a field with no cover I set up on one side of the U and stacking ALOT of my dekes around me to one break up the blinds, to add comfort that there are dozens of geese around these misc piles, and lastly I keep the dekes closer to each other so there is no landing area and forces the birds into the hole or on the opposite side of the U (why i keep the pocket big and the dekes spaced out quite a bit, giving them ample room to land). Setting up on the side of U keeps their focus off of you when approaching as well. Angle your blinds on a 45 into the pocket.

X are decoys. B blinds

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
x x x
x x x
x x x
x x x
x x x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxBxxxxBxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wind --------->

pnbrock
02-21-2013, 08:33 PM
hes gonna need a ton more decoys for that spread lorne!!!

lorneparker1
02-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Lol maybe, But if setting up ina low/no cover field i usually run around 4-6dozen.

Kudu
02-21-2013, 10:28 PM
4-6 dozen? - what are you using? Full bodies - shells or Silos?

I can't imagine my son and I hauling 4-6 dozen shells, let alone full bodies - 400 meters accros the field, maybe socks or silos but thats about it.

You can't see them in the pics I put up, but there were 40 odd shells in those fields and that's about the limit we would carry. Anymore and it's no longer fun - just a bloody hard chore.

lorneparker1
02-21-2013, 10:34 PM
4-6 dozen ? - what are you using?

Full bodies - shells or Silos?

I can't imagine my son and I hauling 4-6 dozen full bodies, 400 meters accros the field, maybe socks or silos but thats about it.

You can't see them in the pics I put up but there were 40 odd shells in those fields and that's about the limit we would carry. Anymore and it's no longer fun - just a bloody hard chore.

We hunt all full bodies. I am sure i have a pick or 2 kicking around but we can haul 4 dozen ffd lessers ( packed in avery 12 slot duck bags) and 2 layout blinds on a fridge cart
One guy pushes the cart the other guy totes the other dozen or 2 in the other few bags. Its defintly alot of work, especially hauling it back out with a limit of geese. But we also havea motto that sometimes the only thing between us and an epic hunt is laziness. Thats it :)

Lorne

P.s Dave and Dave hunt 6 or so dozen silos and kill em!

Kudu
02-21-2013, 10:38 PM
6 dozen real geese silos is do-able - 6 dozen full bodies - I don't think so!

Hell how do you cart them around, In big truck or something?

lorneparker1
02-21-2013, 10:48 PM
6 dozen real geese silos is do-able - 6 dozen full bodies - I don't think so!

Hell how do you cart them around, In big truck or something?

The ffd lessers arent that big, Just a bit bigger then a full body mallard ( thats why they fit in the avery full body duck bag) You can carry 2 dozen on each shoulder (4 dozen total) and strap a ground force or power hunter to your back. However stacking most of it on a fridge cart works better and is alot less work!. I dont have any pics of it on a fridge cart but im sure 303 does.

Kudu
02-21-2013, 10:55 PM
The ffd lessers arent that big, Just a bit bigger then a full body mallard ( thats why they fight in the avery full body duck bag) YOu can carry 2 dozen on each shoulder (4 dozen total) and strap a ground force or power hunter to your back. However stacking most of it on a fridge bart works better. I dont have any pics of it ona fridge cart but im sure 303 does.

Ok - that makes sense - I had this vison of you carrying six dozen "big foot's" accros a muddy field in pre dawn darkness.

BiG Boar
02-21-2013, 11:10 PM
This is why we ended up with silos. I don't have the storage room. Plus we can easily each walk in 3 dozen, blind, and gun. CF and LP1 and QH suggested them, and they work very well. Maybe not perfect, but very few geese turn away.

As far as the winter wheat cover. Keep this in mind.

Do Canadian geese see colors?Yes, Canadian geese can see color. They rely on color to determine which seeds or grains to eat. They do not see as wide as spectrum as we do, though!

Point is, use natural edge cover when you can. And if they are landing way out in the middle, round the blinds out, try to find green grass to stuff the blinds with if possible. They do make winter wheat covers for the blinds also. I think $80.

I don't know what is the right answer, just keep in mind lessers are smarter than honkers.

Ian F.
02-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Another point to Lornes set up that I try for is the geese aren't coming in look at me right at the base of the pocket, I like being to the side.

303Brit
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
I can't find any pics of the fridge cart loaded up. However the cart is just a basic dolly cart with pneumatic tires, that I have added a 3' wide sheet of plywood strapped to it. Then we use cargo straps to snug the lessers in they carry bags crossways on the cart. We can easily fit 2 dozen on the cart with the blinds, the shotguns, and blind bags. We have had 3 dozen and couple blinds and the shotguns on there and it's not difficult to drag through a wheat field.

Dutch
02-23-2013, 09:21 AM
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b592/reddog303/photo2_zpsfc7676cf.jpg PNBrocks cart loaded with 2 dozen full bodies ,2 dozen shells a layout blind and oh yah 3 geese that fell for our spread in the middle of a old corn field. Not seen is me packing 6 full bodies and another dozen shells with a layout blind, and my wife says I don't get enough exercise

pnbrock
02-23-2013, 09:35 AM
the cart dutch has posted is a sasquatch game cart which can really be loaded up to take in any muddy field,there is also a dozen full body geese on the cart.could have saved serious $$ had i met up with Dutch sooner, he's 6-5" of pure packing power!!

Crazy_Farmer
02-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Probably change it up this year, Matt wants to do a utv ranger with trailer and 12 slots.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/P1020757.jpg

Farmer
02-23-2013, 10:34 AM
the cart dutch has posted is a sasquatch game cart which can really be loaded up to take in any muddy field,there is also a dozen full body geese on the cart.could have saved serious $$ had i met up with Dutch sooner, he's 6-5" of pure packing power!!

My son uses my sasquatch game cart as well. It works well.

ruger#1
02-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Probably change it up this year, Matt wants to do a utv ranger with trailer and 12 slots.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/P1020757.jpg Ha Ha. No wonder milk prices are so high.

Crazy_Farmer
02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
No cows any more, farm sold them, just doing crops now. Some days I miss the real milk haha.

ruger#1
02-25-2013, 05:55 PM
No cows any more, farm sold them, just doing crops now. Some days I miss the real milk haha.Yes it sure is better then the chock they sell in the stores. Can't you put fat tires on that trailer?