PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Layout

Ron.C
02-18-2013, 10:19 PM
My obsession began in December as I got a good taste of waterfowling. But most all of my hunts were in a salt marsh. I was able to get a few birds, but knew how I was going about it wasn't the best way. I was trying to camo my canoe in, but as the tide slipped out, I found myself on mudflats with no cover to speak of. And lets say, pulling may canoe/gear across the edge of mudflats wasn't what I would consider fun. But I'm stubborn so I did it anyway.

So I looked into layout blinds. But I really didn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks or more on something that would be ruined by saltwater, or leak and end up holding more water then it kept out. But I wanted an option of leaving my canoe further back where I had a creek channel and be able to load my gear into a sled that would not only load in the front of my canoe, but haul my gear across grass flats and convert to a waterPROOF, low profile layout

I modified some plans I found online and built a layout out of 1/8 " plywood/glass and some 3/4" wood strips I ripped. Its pretty much a 6 ft x 22" sled with 8" inch sides that tapers on the front to 18" and scoops upward same as a boat bow. Anyway, here it is. Weighs in at just over 15 pounds. sets up from sled to layout in 2 minutes. Two attached doors like commercial layouts. I routed on a gun holder on the center cross peice so my shotgun butt is on my chest and the barrel will poke out just to the leaft side so its not pointing at my toes. Only thing I have left to do is throw some mud on it and add some brush straps.

I think the only problem I'll have is staying awake in it! When does duck season open again:confused:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/blind2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/blind3.jpg

lorneparker1
02-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Nice work Ron. Add some stubble straps, and some sort of 45 degree back rest and you are golden

Foxton Gundogs
02-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Some heavy green "pea netting" on the outside for straw or corn stalks and a piece of heavy canvas screwed to the top rail and floor on a 45 for a back support should do nicely. Then as you said dont fall asleep when things get slow lol.

BiG Boar
02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Plus you will save on funeral costs.

Nice work.

warnniklz
02-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Plus you will save on funeral costs.

Nice work.

That'd be sweet to be burried in a layout blind. I would do the same, if I already hadn't requested that my body be filled with explosives and blown up.

trapperdan2061
02-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Add a set of wheels and you cal pull your gear in

pnbrock
02-23-2013, 08:34 AM
looks good but seen them on sale for $160 with ability to fold and carrying strap,just saying.

Ron.C
02-23-2013, 09:08 AM
seen them on sale for $160 with ability to fold and carrying strap,just saying.

agree you can bargin prices on commercial layout blinds. I was after something in between a layout blind, and layout boat that I could also use as a sled to haul my gear to where I'll hunt the tidal salt marsh mud flats