PDA

View Full Version : Trail Cam Recommendations?

Bigbuckadams
12-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Hi all, well, most places are probably sold out, but I am hoping to pick up a reasonably priced Trail Cam. Looking for some insight on Makes, Models, Performance, Durability, etc.etc.etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :lol:

Rod
12-19-2006, 09:17 AM
I have a 2MP Bushnell that I paid about $150 for, runs on 4-D batteries and takes a mem card. Also have a 3MP Moultrie camera (still on a tree so I don't have the model) from Wal-Mart that takes a 6V flashlight battery.

Both are basic cameras that work fine during daylight but are somewhat lacking at night as the flash is pretty weak and your target needs to be within 15'. I guess this is standard and in most cases when used on a trail would be fine but mine are on the edge of a field where passing animals are often at the limit of the flash distance.

Picture wise I am happy with both but the battery performance sucks when temps drop. This I intend to deal with next year by modifying them to connect to external battery packs with solar chargers. Some makes come with this capability but again more $$.

I think the majority of the cameras on the market are probably pretty good and price goes up with options, the flash is totally ignored by deer here but IR would be nice because they seem to have more range and if you place them on Public land there is not flash to give away the location.

Rod

todbartell
12-19-2006, 12:06 PM
I got a Bushnell TrailScout Pro 3.0MP with LED flash. it works great, and the animals dont even know their picture is being taken so you dont have to worry about altering their habits. Its not cheap though, retails for around $450 before tax

BlacktailStalker
12-19-2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.woodlandspycam.com/index.html

Awesome.

mark
12-19-2006, 07:32 PM
I got the bushnell trail sentry. Its a cheap wallmart model. ive had 2 of them bugger up on me but wally exchanges them for me! When it works its great! Hard on batts in the cold! Dont put any bait right in front of the cam or youll get a 100 pics of some does ass!

Bigbuckadams
12-20-2006, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm hoping Santa can find one for me in his workshop for me :lol: . Back to work this a.m., I think it will be a nice break from trying to go Christmas shopping...lol. Thanks again!