PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's In Canada

SUAFOYT
12-18-2006, 06:38 PM
As if the news about W/Sports in Kamloops wasn't enough, Cabelas plans to open a store in Montreal in late 07 or early 08. Does this mean that we will finally be able to get all of the online goods from a Canadian site without all of the hassles? (ie customs and duty?) Will be interesting to see if the same goods are available. For those that live in the Loops, the W/Sports site has a link to employment opportunities at the new store with employee discount! Might have to check out real estate in Kamloops.

308BAR
12-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Yes......and yes.

Bow Walker
12-18-2006, 07:54 PM
There is a Bass Pro Shop in Vaughn Ontario - been there for awhile.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?appID=94&storeID=11

Check it out.

SUAFOYT
12-18-2006, 09:28 PM
There is a Bass Pro Shop in Vaughn Ontario - been there for awhile.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?appID=94&storeID=11

Check it out.

Thanks- Wasn't aware of that store. Checked it out and the online prices are in US funds and it appears, although I don't know for sure, that the items are shipped from the US. I'm hoping that when Cabelas opens, the items are shipped from the Canadian location. Time will tell.

Bow Walker
12-19-2006, 06:47 AM
When I click on the link I get the US site. I go to the top where it says STORE LOCATION and click on that - from the drop down menu I click on the Ontario location (usually takes twice to get there).

Email the store manager (Dave Jessop) and ask if the prices quoted are US or Canadian. I am assuming Cdn, but you never know.

Hunterguy
12-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I have found that SIR mail order in Winnipeg is as good as Cabelos, Canadian also. Just got back last week, the store is the size of a Costco with everything from a fishing weight to dog sleds. When I was there I was told three blocks down the road there was another huge store called Outdoor Outfitters,on par with Bass Pro, comparible to SIR but a little more high end being newer. Imagine two stores that close and yet Vancouver cannot support one?

elkguide
12-31-2006, 12:21 PM
It would be nice to have a great retailer like cabelas in Canada, but why did they go out east ( is there more of a hunting population there?) , I guess I just assumed that because of all the firearm licencing crap that started out there ( Fricken libs), that ahunters would be really frowned upon. They should have got it opened in Van.

SUAFOYT
12-31-2006, 12:35 PM
It would be nice to have a great retailer like cabelas in Canada, but why did they go out east ( is there more of a hunting population there?) , I guess I just assumed that because of all the firearm licencing crap that started out there ( Fricken libs), that ahunters would be really frowned upon. They should have got it opened in Van.

Probably because it is closer to half the population(Ont and Que) than the ROC. Don't forget that TO is the centre of the universe. Still don't know if the mail order will be within Canada or out of the States. If it's out of the US then the main shipping point will be in the East and closer to Montreal.

Chuck
01-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Bet you a box of dud shells mail order will be out of USA!

4 point
09-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Was in Cabela's in Post Falls Idaho today. My god what a store. It's one of their class 2 ( second biggest) stores. You could easily spend most of a day in there. Guy on door said they own land in Kelowna and Vancouver and they want to open a store in BC some time. Lets hope it happens one day.

Mishka
09-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Go to Cabelas.ca. You can already order stuff without the extra duty, etc. It's been like that for awhile now. I recently ordered a jacket and got it in less than a week.

4 point
09-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Yes but there is nothing like being in the real store.

blargon
09-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Another Cabelas opening in 2014 in Barrie, ON. Direct competition for the BassPro in Vaughn. If they see lots of orders coming from BC, they'll likely expand in the west also.

Mishka
09-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Go to Cabelas.ca. You can already order stuff without the extra duty, etc. It's been like that for awhile now. I recently ordered a jacket and got it in less than a week.

Only afterwards did I realize this thread dates back to 2006....

1/2 slam
09-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Whatever happened to the Montreal site?

mikeboehm
09-15-2013, 09:40 AM
i kinda get pissed when one is opening in ontario one is opening in regina and a second one is opening in edmonton( now there will be 2) before one opens in bc. we have the best hunting in north america. wake up cabelas

pronghorn
09-15-2013, 09:41 AM
They are opening a new store in regina sept 19 so now there's two in sk

Cyrus
09-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Bass Pro across the line has numerous 5 buck shipping to Canada plus $3 in duty/brokerage deals. Hard to beat that. Ordered ammo from cabelas.ca...took 2 weeks to get it!!! Last time I do that....

Jagermeister
09-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Bass Pro across the line has numerous 5 buck shipping to Canada plus $3 in duty/brokerage deals. Hard to beat that. Ordered ammo from cabelas.ca...took 2 weeks to get it!!! Last time I do that....
That's not the shipper's fault. That lies with the carrier, ie Canada Post, Purlolater etc.

Brew
09-15-2013, 11:31 AM
we have a cabelas in winnepeg. I go everytime i'm out there. Even though it shares the name its not the same. if you want to order from them you go to cabelas.ca not .com

Ry151
09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
I prefer bass pro also, if you compare the prices between bass pro and cabelas.ca, basspro is always way cheaper by quite a bit even with exchange and the shipping is cheaper out of the states then if you order it from cabelas.ca. Also basspro is offering free shipping to Canada right now if you spend over $75. So in my opinion if your not walking into the store bass pro is the better option.

4pointer
09-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Bass pro is cheaper but some stuff is restricted as it comes from the usa. If you want it restricted parts from a canadian store, you must call a canadian store directly. The website is american. Best is to chat with customer service on their website and they will clarify and give you all the info needed.

ducktoller
09-15-2013, 02:15 PM
How have the local shops managed in cities with cabelas in Canada? It's a mixed bag getting big box stores.

4pointer
09-15-2013, 03:44 PM
The Cabelas in Tulalip is nice, but visit the one in Lacey and you'll really be impressed!:mrgreen: Damn two cabelas so close to each other...should of opened one here!

Moe.JKU
09-15-2013, 09:45 PM
The Cabelas in Tulalip is nice, but visit the one in Lacey and you'll really be impressed!:mrgreen: Damn two cabelas so close to each other...should of opened one here!Yeah i agree the cabelas there in tulalip is the worst one I have walked into. One in denver is really nice, as well as springfield and other states in those areas. The tulalip one is very unfinished and small compared to most. seen one in florida with gators in it.

Kudu
09-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Bass pro is what we want out here - Cabelas can stay in WA

hare_assassin
09-16-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm not particularly interested in either Bass Pro or Cabelas. I visited the Bass Pro in Vaughn, ON and couldn't wait to get out of there. The photos of Cabelas in this thread remind me of my Bass Pro experience. I guess I'm not a typical consumer. I don't go there to shop. I go there to buy what I need as efficiently as I can and get the hell out. I find this much more manageable at a place that fills the store with logically organized racks of products rather than trying to create an "Hunting/Fishing Disneyland".

Someone commented that you can spend the whole day there. That is the last thing I would ever want to do with a day of my life.

Wholesale Sports in Kamloops. In and out in 5 minutes flat with what I need. Maybe 10 minutes if I am buying a bigger item such as a new rifle or fishing rod and I need to look at a few models before pulling the trigger.

mooze
09-16-2013, 07:30 AM
ammo and gun parts are restricted and Basspro will not deliver them per MO to CAN. Just tried. And delivery times are weeks. And shipping costs are significant.

huntcoop
09-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Just got back from the Tulalip store and its better than ever. Lacey is definitely bigger (185,000 vs 110,000 sq feet) but Tulalip is nothing to sneeze at, our 'merican neighbours sure know how to do things right.

barklee
09-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Cabela's Canada will ship Guns now to your house. I ordered my Benelli and the shipped to my house in 3 days. Pretty sweet. Don't even have to go into the store any more. Just get them to deliver it to my door. More time for hunting.

mike-juliet
10-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Bass Pro would do terrible in BC. All there stores are a "Cookie Cutter" which means the products they sell are Identical across the country. Ever seen how much Salmon or Fly fishing gear Bass Pro sells? Not enough for BC, but if you want Pike Bass or other Freshwater game fish they will have you covered!

Cabelas much like Wholesale Sports merchandises each store around the market in the area, it may take some trial and error but they will with time have this done pretty well.

Grizzloonly
10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
I am not sure if this has been posted already, but Cabelas is opening in Nanaimo (http://www.cabelas.ca/news/42/cabelas-canada-announces-plans-for-nanaimo-british-columbia-store).

Aheny
10-30-2013, 02:06 PM
I have dreams about having the selection of Cabelas, Bass Pro, and wholesale sports for my big ticket purchases

BRvalley
10-30-2013, 02:34 PM
All there stores are a "Cookie Cutter" which means the products they sell are Identical across the country.

that statement is entirely not accurate...they have regional distribution centres which are inventoried to cater to regional markets, just like cabelas (and all big box stores)

the Vaughan and Calgary stores do not carry as large a salmon section as you would prefer because the great lakes salmon fishery is not as big as BC, and tackle and gear are slightly different

and Vaughan has a decent fly fishing selection, much more than some shops I've been to in BC....Calgary has a good selection of fly gear also...not sure what you were unhappy about? keep in mind they stock seasonally too

I've been in many BPS stores: Vaughan, Calgary, Miami, Birmingham and 4 or 5 others in the eastern US...they are all different...ie: the Miami store is largely stocked for inshore/offshore salt and bass fishing, you won't ice fishing gear there

I personally think BPS gives Canadians a better store, Cabelas seems to give us downsized versions....although I must admit, I had a huge hate on for Edmonton Cabelas, but the store has gotten much better since their first year in business...IMO anyways lol

270ruger
10-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Le barons in Ontario is still in business got all my guns and gear from there when I was a kid,surprised to see that they are still around.

Kudu
10-30-2013, 05:22 PM
that statement is entirely not accurate...they have regional distribution centres which are inventoried to cater to regional markets, just like cabelas (and all big box stores)

the Vaughan and Calgary stores do not carry as large a salmon section as you would prefer because the great lakes salmon fishery is not as big as BC, and tackle and gear are slightly different

and Vaughan has a decent fly fishing selection, much more than some shops I've been to in BC....Calgary has a good selection of fly gear also...not sure what you were unhappy about? keep in mind they stock seasonally too

I've been in many BPS stores: Vaughan, Calgary, Miami, Birmingham and 4 or 5 others in the eastern US...they are all different...ie: the Miami store is largely stocked for inshore/offshore salt and bass fishing, you won't ice fishing gear there

I personally think BPS gives Canadians a better store, Cabelas seems to give us downsized versions....although I must admit, I had a huge hate on for Edmonton Cabelas, but the store has gotten much better since their first year in business...IMO anyways lol

Cabelas are "mickey mouse" - dime stores, in comparison! 99% of their stuff is cheap Chinese cr*p badged as cabelas own brand.

Bass pro is on a whole different level.....

Aheny
11-01-2013, 11:38 AM
I lived quite close to the Bass Pro Shop in Balzac, and everything I bought there was of better than moderate quality at a rock bottom price. My intro TFO Lefty 5wt rod reel and line worked great for me for several years, before I traded it for something worth what I paid new for it.

Seems like a great place to gear yourself out for any hobby, where you can be sure that its all of decent quality, with the option of paying for the top end stuff if you want.

RiverOtter
11-01-2013, 06:05 PM
I stopped at BP in Balzac a couple years ago. In fairness they did have quality stuff in their store, but it was anything but a deal. On the average prices ranged from slightly more than WSS, to waaay more.

No way I'd make a special trip to BP, and if I were in Calgary I'd hit WSS and skip BP.....

BRvalley
11-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Le barons in Ontario is still in business got all my guns and gear from there when I was a kid,surprised to see that they are still around.

my favourite store in Ontario, 99% of the time they have the best prices, plus if you have a members card you save a bit more and get access to their member sales

Gateholio
11-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Only Bass Pro I've been to was in Ontario, and it sucked for hunting gear. They had guns and stuff, but nothing special. Looked great if you were a freshwater angler I suppose, as there was lots of stuff for fishermen.