PDA

View Full Version : Bulpacs or?

Islandeer
12-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Time for a new pack, I have researched the bulpacs, any first hand packing stories with them or similar packs? Thanks.

Husky7mm
12-18-2006, 10:32 AM
I have a moose bag. It packs well. I don't feel the wait and i can carry it all day comfortably. It is very loud.

boatdoc
12-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Are you stuck on an external frame pack? I have tried a few , last one was a moose bag , with some repair and customizing it was good to 60 lbs. Nearly destroyed it and my back with 90 lbs over 15ks ,shoulder harness assy almost ripped out of frame. I bought an Osprey this year ,same trip 45lbs in 90 lbs out ,no sore back and no pack troubles.You could stuff an elk quarter in the bag easy . You might want to try on a few different packs with weight in them to see what fits you.Good idea to make sure any pack you buy will commpress over small loads or it will drive you crazy rattling away on your back. Hope i've been helpfull.

dana
12-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Have a look at the Eberlistock J105. I got one this year and I am super impressed with it. The fact I can use it as a day pack and then as a meat hauler is very appealing.

Islandeer
12-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks fellahs, I will look at them both. The one you mentioned Dana does have the bonus of light duty stuff, perfect for summer scouting etc. Have you loaded it up with meat, and can you haul quarters with it? I will goggle up both pack suggestions for more info. Thanks again.

dana
12-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Had the 2 hindquarters (with bone in) from my buddy's muley and I had tons of room to spare. Figure I could have easily thrown in at least another quarter. Would be no problem to load an entire big buck deboned with head and cape.
I ordered direct from Eberlistock and it arrived at my door in 4 days.

Islandeer
12-18-2006, 03:07 PM
It looks good, how is it for noise? Did you get the duffel bag. And is it comfy when you are light? I like it's toughness and versatility.

Islandeer
12-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I read more about the quietness, need to e-mail Santa now.

dana
12-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Super quiet. Especially good for timber hunting. The only thing I've found is that the rifle scabbard is not the greatest when hunting timber in the snow. Snow falls down in. You want that rifle in your hands anyways. I can see that scabbard is going to work awesome in the highcountry though. Think it will work awesome hunting cats with it as well. I'll tuck the ol' iron sighted model 99 in there.I didn't get the extra bag yet. Figure other than the odd time coyoting out, I'll be doing mostly daytrips and the daypack/meat hauler combo was ideal for me.

Gateholio
12-18-2006, 05:32 PM
I've got a bull pac wiht the bag, it's tough as nails, and will carry anythign YOU can carry. It's not lightweight, though and not a good choice for brushy areas. Perfect for hauling large loads though.

I will continue buying different packs, it's fun anyway.:lol:

~T-BONE~
12-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Anyone have one of those Tatonka pac frames other than being pricey, how are they?