PDA

View Full Version : waterfowl on vancouver island

smeegle
12-17-2006, 11:30 PM
i am relativley new to hunting and i was just wondering if its worth hunting ducks and geese on vancouver island due to the fact ive heard that htey all taste fishy and distgusting? is this true?

Murder
12-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I am in the mid-island. I get the occasional "fishy" mallard, but it is definitely worth it. Find a good spot, set up and let 'em have it. You will form your own oppinion pretty quick that way.

smeegle
12-17-2006, 11:40 PM
is there any good areas for a beginner to go around nanamo-cedar area?

HuntNHookSports
12-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Public waterfowl hunting at Nanaimo River Estuary. It's in your back yard. I do relatively good there.

smeegle
12-18-2006, 11:52 AM
thats past the native reserve right? and also do you set up blinds and all that stuff or do u just go around in a boat untill you find some and then shoot em?

HuntNHookSports
12-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Passed the reserve. Lots of natural cover. You don't need a boat.

Spend a day there and watch the ducks fly around. You can't expect to limit out your first day this late in the season but learn where to go now and you will score lots of ducks next season.
I will be going there lots in the new year. My truck has the big DU sticker in the back window and I have 2 chocolate labs. Say hi if you see me.

See ya there.

PS watch the tide guide.

Dano
12-18-2006, 08:52 PM
thats past the native reserve right? and also do you set up blinds and all that stuff or do u just go around in a boat untill you find some and then shoot em?

I hope you mean "go around in the boat until you find some birds, set up your decoys, and wait for birds to come in". Your explanation sounds like you could be shooting from a moving boat (which is ok if you are rowing or paddling a canoe etc. No power boats unless not under power). There was a guy inthe Pitt that was doing this, I'm sure. Haven't seen him but last year I saw him 3 times with his young son powering him. Never saw him shoot but he looked to have a gun ready and was motoring slow around the marsh....
Good luck out there.
Dan

smeegle
12-19-2006, 04:48 PM
is it a popular hunting spot down there? cuz i was thinking of just taking my dog for a walk down there one day when the tide is low but i dont wanna piss off hunters with a loose dog running around

HuntNHookSports
12-19-2006, 06:51 PM
There are more people walking their dog than hunting usually. Maybe send me a PM if you have more questions. Glad to help.

Ilikebigbucks&Icannotlie
12-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Awesome duck hunting if you know a farmer with a flooded corn or barley field. It should almost be illegal to hunt them this way (but who's complaining). Duck hunting in estuaries is hit and miss. Some ducks are fishy, some are OK.

smeegle
12-19-2006, 11:38 PM
do u ever bag any geese in the nanaimo estuary?

Metricscaler
09-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Hey just bought some duck decoys at the cedar flea market and was thinking about going down to the nanaimo river. Ive got a fishing kayak to retreive any i get. Any one have any new info or experience?

Foxton Gundogs
09-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Well ducks/geese don't open for another month so you have plenty of time to scout.

Metricscaler
09-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Ya foxton , ya your right. Your obviously into hunting waterfowl by the looks of your profile.

BStrachan
09-12-2017, 09:05 AM
Okay I'm looking at starting duck hunting. I live in Nanaimo so I have a idea as to the area you are talking about but not 100 percent positive. Are you talking about the reserve just over the cedar bridge? Where else in Nanaimo can you hunt ducks?

BStrachan
09-27-2017, 09:22 AM
I don't have a dog to retrieve the ducks. Is there spots down at Nanaimo estuary where I don't need a dog to retrieve the ducks or geese?