PDA

View Full Version : which Excaliber model ?

ratherbefishin
09-22-2004, 06:47 AM
I'd like a crossbow, and have pretty well decided on excaliber- but which model to buy?And- given the relatively short range, do you really need the scope?

Thunderstix
09-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Us pure archery hunters don't condone the use of crossbows.

Thunderstix
09-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Oops! I thought I was on Bowsite for a second there. :lol: I have thought about someday getting one as well but not sure which model I would get...probably the best...most expensive.

bochunk2000
09-26-2004, 10:41 AM
I haven't hunted with a crossbow before but I would say keep the scope. If you have a low power scope good for short distances you are boud to get more shooting light. My 2c.

ratherbefishin
10-01-2004, 06:39 PM
the reason I'm looking at a crossbow for hunting is frankly, I'm not confifdent of making absolutely sure of a humane kill with a regular bow-I do shoot , but have the odd ''flyer''I've missed a couple of bucks with my bow- and that's a heck of a lot better than wounding one and not recovering it,hense the crossbow question

bochunk2000
10-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Practice practice practice. You should put a circle with an 8" diametre on your archery target with a dot in the middle. This represents a small deer's kill zone. If you can get every arrow in he circle at 20 yrds you are safe to hunt at that distance. Go to 30 try again. Unless all of them are in there don't take that shot in the wild. This is a good way of finding out where your skill level limits your effective range. If there are other issues like distance judging or buck fever practice should cure those. If not get a range finder to instill more confidence. You shouldn't need to go to a crossbow, just get proficient with the bow you have. I'm sure you will be happier in the long run. :)

Tank
10-03-2004, 08:58 PM
although they look pretty bad ass, another reason to avoid crossbows is that you dont get to partake in any of the "bow only" seasons.....its treated the same as a rifle

Thunderstix
10-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Not so about the crossbow being treated as a rifle. It is treated as a bow unless otherwise indicated in your regional schedule.