PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoes??

youngfellla
12-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Just curious how many of you use snowshoes to do your varmint hunting, scouting, etc. in the wintertime, also what make/style you prefer.

I have a pair of Atlas 930's, 10 x 32 aluminum frame, rated for 250 lbs. They have good ice picks on the bottom, and use a suspension system on the bindings. Great for climbing and picking your way through thick brush/timber. The pair weighs 3.2 lbs, good for strapping on your pack when not needed.

I used to have some large wooden frames, but found them to be a pain in thick timber and no good for climbing.

Tarp Man
12-14-2006, 06:14 PM
I use MSR Denali's. They are super light, but don't offer the floatation that bigger aluminum ones do. They also have decent teeth on the front for traction, but are really loud in crunchy corn snow (plastic deck).

Poguebilt
12-14-2006, 06:27 PM
I have atlas snowshoes.... worked great the few times i have used them!

BCLongshot
12-14-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm gettin me a pair of does tings Yuk Yuk

Sorry Mr. CANTHUNTENOUGH

Rod
12-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Don't know what kind they are but I use CF issue snowshoes, take a major beating and the best part... my government bought them for me :-)

Amphibious
12-14-2006, 09:09 PM
atlas 1230's. they were pricey, but had them 5yrs and can;t kill them. lot of miles and multi day winter packing/camping on them.

a good purchase.

BCKID
12-14-2006, 09:54 PM
I wish I had snow shoes this year. My hunting spot [zip lip mtn] was snowed in big time. 2 feet of snow. I am sure the deer are there holed up but it's tough to hunt in 2 feet of snow. So I went elsewhere and nailed a nice buck. [previous years scouting payed off this year] But I think I could have taken 2 bucks if I could have hunted my [spot]. I have never even tried on a pair but I think it's time. BCKID