PDA

View Full Version : RCMP registration check

ratherbefishin
09-20-2004, 08:48 PM
I am due to leave in a couple of days on a moose hunt with my son.I finally registered my guns online- it's been an issue with me for some time.I do not agree with the registration law, it has been proven to be of zero value in saving lives, and to me is a diversion of money that would be far better spent on law enforcement.Goodnes knows, we have enough of an illegal handgun problem, they are freely available in almost any city bar.I have written letters to the editor, and various politicians- no point in disagreeing without doing something about it.
However, the bottom line is- although it is a bad law- it is still the law, so I went ahead and registered my rifles.Now- the question- I have recieved confirmation they have recieved and accepted my application, but I have not got any certificate yet.
What do I do if I am stopped in a game check where the RCMP are present- what is the best course of action and what do I say?Can they confiscate my rifle even though I have recieved notification they have accepted the registration?
I didn't want to register my guns as to do so is aquiessing to the registration program, and providing them with more ''evidence'' Canadians are complying with the law, but neither did I want to have my hunt with my son ruined.It's a tough call.
Anybody have any experiances?

Macgarrett
09-20-2004, 10:42 PM
You don't have to carry any documentation on your guns with you. I ran into conservation officers a few months ago, and they asked if my guns were registered. I told them they were, and they took me at my word. (BTW: my guns are registered). If the RCMP or conservation officers insist on checking to see if they are registered, they can check on their computers, provided you aren't in the bush out of range for their computers. The onus is on them to prove that your guns aren't registered. Most RCMP members I know aren't concerned about checking to see if your guns are registered.

3kills
09-21-2004, 01:48 AM
i was told u have to have the reg cards with u the co's arent checkin but if there is a cop there they will ask for it...i dont know what they will do if u dont have it...u can go the site online and print copies out..there is a link here some where for it i will see if i can find it again....
here is the link
http://members.rogers.com/pollsale/cfcr.pdf

ratherbefishin
09-21-2004, 07:16 AM
CO's visited our moose camp last year and checked licences and tags[ we didn't have a moose, but our other party did]They didn't ask for firearms certificates or PAL's.In discussion with them, they carefully avoided criticising the registration law, but said they were hunters too and said they were under instruction not to ask for or check on registration.They did allow however, that had an RCMP officer been present, they may, as they were federal, not provincial.
Of course, although I can print off the page at my office showing acceptance of the registration, I do not as yet have the actual card.
What experiances have other people had?And if the rifles are confiscated,and I do provide evidence [ when I get it] of the certificate-how do I go about recovering my rifles-as I will likely be home bythen and travelling to the detachment would involve a considerable journey-will they ship them to my home address?

swamper
09-21-2004, 08:22 AM
I was stopped by a CO on Sept 11 and asked him about carrying reg cards for my guns. He told me flat out that they are not checking for them and as far as he knew the RCMP are not either. Just to be on the safe side I am carrying my cards in my wallet. Better safe than sorry. Don't need the hassle of trying to get a gun back from the authorities in the unlikely event that it gets confiscated.
Chris H.

09-21-2004, 08:36 AM
I have been stopped twice, once by the C/O's and another time by the rcmp, neither time was a pal or reg. cert. asked for, even though l told them the firearm l had was unregistered. Both said basically the same thing that as long as provincial laws were being obeyed they weren't interested in enforcing the gun registry laws.
At one of our recent fish and game club meetings, our local C/O was the guest speaker and he re-iterated the same thing.
Some one posted there were checks being done on the northern routes in the province and everything being asked for. Will let you know about that, as l am heading that way in a few days. :twisted:
Some folks think the registry is a pain in the ass, but it is the law and must be obeyed. C-68 goes alot further then guns.........alot of our rights and freedoms guaranteed by other laws are being violated with this shit legislation. We would do well to protest this law any way we feel comfortable with, whether its letters to editors, protests, or a public stance defying the registry. (like the gunsmith in Ontario). We owe it to future generations of firearm owners.
l would think with the complience you have done so far, would be your "get out of jail" card as it can be verified with their fancy data base.ROTFLMAO. You know the one, cost the taxpayers almost a million bucks and has an error rate as high as 80% according to some sources!

Good luck on your hunt........

YukonJack
09-21-2004, 10:24 AM
I've been stopped quite abit in the last couple years. Strange, seeing how I've hunted here for 16yrs and never saw a one!
Anyhow, three times stopped with RCMP riding-along with the CO. Three times checked for registration cards.
About another three times stopped by CO's alone and just a check of hunting licenses. I think they once checked the Jeep for loaded weapons in the rack, but I can't be sure. The RCMP checked the other times though.
I enjoy hunting too much to run the risk of not having complied, and facing the music if caught. I hate facing the music....I can't dance! :lol:

ratherbefishin
09-21-2004, 04:43 PM
I e-mailed the firearms registry asking for advice- explaining I had indeed registered the rifles and had the confirmation they had recieved the application and it was accepted, the card would be sent in the mail.The answer I was given to my question was if I asked in writing they would reissue thecards but there was no place I could view my registration.[Obviously they didn't hear or answer the question]

3kills
09-21-2004, 06:30 PM
did u check the above link and see if u can print a copy about???

i wouldnt worry to much about it from what i have heard and read the only that will ask to see it is the police and iwould just explain to them that u have them registered and they are sendin the cards in the mail....

ratherbefishin
09-21-2004, 07:03 PM
thanks for that link- but all I got was a copy of the certificate that they issue.I'm just going to hope for the best and if I'm stopped show my PAL and the the copy of the registration acceptance form and hope they don't confiscate my rifle.Too bad- even if everyu last one of us registered our rifles- absolutely nothing would be accomplished except providing jobs for bean counters.The criminal are the strongest supporters of firearms registration- because every cop investigating us isn't investigating them, and every dime spent on this ill fated and useless program isn't being spent on law enforcement.Those guys are laughing at us...

09-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Those guys are laughing at us...

Which "guys" would that be............the criminals or the liberals........or are they one in the same? :evil:

Steeleco
09-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Just use the link and fill in the blanks with the info provided on the rifle. The person who may or may not ask for it will be waiting 2 weeks to see that the info is correct, "Bull shit baffles brains" :lol: :lol:

Magnum-man
09-22-2004, 09:46 PM
I called the Canadian Firearms Centre and they clearly told me that it is the law to have your Firearms licence and registration certificate for each gun on your possession so I would encourage that we comply. No big deal, we have to carry driving licences, MSP cards etc so let's not give them any excuse to hammer hunters for the not carrying these little pieces of useless paper - just think we have paid a lot of tax dollars for this privilege!!

3kills
09-22-2004, 09:49 PM
or course the cfc is going to tell u that u have to have the card at all times...

09-23-2004, 10:45 AM
I called the Canadian Firearms Centre and they clearly told me that it is the law to have your Firearms licence and registration certificate for each gun on your possession so I would encourage that we comply. No big deal, we have to carry driving licences, MSP cards etc so let's not give them any excuse to hammer hunters for the not carrying these little pieces of useless paper - just think we have paid a lot of tax dollars for this privilege!!
Welcome aboard Magnum-man, l 100% disagree with you on your post comment. Its been well stated on this board and others, that this law is not only poorly written and targets the wrong group (ie. responsible firearms owners) but the legalities of it and whether or not it is even constitutional is a big :?: . The fact that the gov't refuses to charge any one under the FAA is also very suspicious. How do you justify accepting this legislation in light of all the information that is available that suggests we are being abused by our gov't?
l would encourage civil disobedience in what ever form is comfortable to the individual, not compliance. And it is a very big deal to me that this government thinks it can take away rights granted to me and every Canadian under other laws because of some knee-jerk reaction to an event (poly tech shootings) that could have handled alot differently then it was.
The fact that so much of our tax money was spent (and lied about to the members of parl't) on a law which is unconstitutional and does violate so many of my rights, is a reason to call the present government to accountablity, not roll over and spread your cheeks, and accept the inevitable............no thanks! :evil:
It been said before, but it bears repeating........Alot of our not to distance relatives gave the ultimate sacrifice in other lands fighting against these kind of abuses from gov't. To forget what they gave so much, so we can enjoy the present life style we have in Canada would be the ultimate crime.
If there is one thing l have come to realize is, nothing is black and white concerning the gov't. They will continue to push to control us, the public, to the degree which we will tolerate. And keep pushing!
Sorry to say, it sounds like you have conceded yourself to the fact that C-68 can't be changed and is here to stay. If that was the prevailing attitude we would be sunk. Fortunately alot of responsible firearm owners are taking the gov't to task on this law, and its only with continued pressure will the law be changed.

or course the cfc is going to tell u that u have to have the card at all times...

What he said!!!! Does anyone expect anything different from them??

Salty
09-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Well for what its worth this is what I do. I've got a bunch of nice paper from the CFC here and there and that's where it stays. I don't carry any regy information with me.

I almost welcome the RCMP asking for my registration out hunting. I'll be polite and honest and tell them its at home some place and I don't agree with this bullshit law and if there's a problem please charge me right now!

Gateholio
09-23-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm with 416 on this...

The more people that say "i don't have a reg cert and I don't intend to get one" the better....

Of course, I don't have any firearms, and if I did, they would all be registered!! :D

bone-collector
09-26-2004, 06:50 AM
regardless the law says you must have a copy of the reg card for the firearms on you, chalenging a officer will surly only make his day and give him more of a reason to ruin yours , and the board rules do ask to refrain from illegal activity and chatter online thanks

Rob

Seabass
09-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Most cops are morons about guns and hardly know which end is which in my experence

dizzydan
09-27-2004, 07:13 PM
I got stopped on Sat. ,OPP asked for PAL he did not even look at it .I was flipping through my wallet & he said he saw it :roll: Then asked for reg. for the rifle in the case, showed it to him he said ok.He does not even know if it was for the gun or not as he never asked to see the rifle.It was zipped up in a case. :roll: :D :wink: A$$hole DAN>>> :evil:

QnsCowboy
09-30-2004, 02:27 PM
I have to put my two cents in also, give you guys a view from somewhat both sides hopefully...

No matter what, cops all interupt the laws to some degree their own way...SO you never, ever will get the same reaction or investigation from different cops....you should hear the BS that goes on the radio when Traffic Nazi's get on the air and try and decide what is a legal freakin' headlight...

For me, all I care is if you have your PAL and hunting licence, or are with someone with a PAL....and if you do, it doesn't matter where in the province, as long as the radio works, you can be checked if your gun(s) are registered or not...

Some cops are anal, and yes, even some are morons like Sea bass said...but not all...treat most good, and hopefully you get treated the same back...if you have your PAL, and show you have sent in your registration, but haven't received it yet, I would be shocked to belive that you would have any problems...But, there is still SeaBass' Moron factor...

Good luck with it, and for what it is worth, I hate the gun laws more than all of you put together, casue you have no idea how much freakin' paper work it was for the first few years....and also, my guns were finally officially registered in the fall of 2003...

Craig

Gateholio
10-01-2004, 01:56 AM
Yeah..

Qns Cowboy said it...

Some cops are idiots, most are not.

The RCMP seem to be the best around...

But hell, they have to make snap decsions on EVERY law, ever put in the books...ANd they have to interpret them, too. And they are not lawyers, they don't have the luxury of spending hours to pore through legal books..

They do what they thinkis best, at the time. I don't envy thier job, and I suspect that most of them really don't give a shit if Mr. Deer Hunter's .270 is registered...It's just more paperwork for them.

Common sense would dictate to most LEO's that a guy with a PAL and a hunting liscence is not a danger to society, and if he is missing his reg cert, he's not going to go robbing banks or do a carjacking...

ratherbefishin
10-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Well, we got home last night[results-moose-100%-hunters-0%] but had a marvelous time anyway.Fishpot lake resort is highly endorsed-reasonable, clean, comfortable log cabins for $40 to $50 a night, game poles and cool storage provided.
Fortionately we were not stopped by the RCMP, so the question of being requred to produce a card that has not been issued yet is is now accademic

3kills
10-01-2004, 08:17 AM
sorry to hear u didnt get anything...hopefully u had a good trip...did u at least see anything???

ratherbefishin
10-01-2004, 10:28 AM
yah, we had an excellent time, saw 6 cows and 7 bears,one of which was a decent shooter, but it was evening and I wanted to get within 100 yards so I could be sure of putting him right down on the road, but he took off into the christmas trees.I probably should have tried for the October LEH, but that's the way it is.

3kills
10-01-2004, 03:39 PM
october is a better draw up there...last year i had a septemper one and we went up around the 20th a i believe and we were in 5-13b and we didnt see a dam moose..but we have hunter up there before and had great succes...gotta keep going for octobers draw from now one...

Salty
10-01-2004, 05:04 PM
SO you never, ever will get the same reaction or investigation from different cops....you should hear the BS that goes on the radio when Traffic Nazi's get on the air and try and decide what is a legal freakin' headlight...

Craig

Well Craig, with a little local or at least regional knowledge that one cracks me up big time :lol: :lol: :lol:

QnsCowboy
10-02-2004, 09:28 PM
I know what you mean Salty....

Glad to hear things went smoothly with exception of filling a tag Ratherbefishin'., but at least you still have your guns...:)

ratherbefishin
10-02-2004, 09:31 PM
The interesting question is, of course-while thre law clearly states you have to have in your possession and produce on demand the registration card for any gun you are carrying- if you have registered the gun but have not recieved the official registration card- how can you be required to produce something you have not been issued yet?The law does not state you cannot take the firearm away from your residence in that interim period-so it seems to me the police cannot legally seize a firearm that has in fact been registered, but not issued a card for.The onus would appear to be on the authorities to prove a crime had been commited[not registering a firearm]And, according to the government- the police are supposed to have instant access to the firearms registry to acertain whether or not a person has firearms registered to them, so they should be able to find that information in minutes, should they not?Isn't that supposed to be the benefit to police?

QnsCowboy
10-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Yes Ratherbefishin, like I stated in my first response, the police can do a check over their radio right a the time, which will tell them what guns are registered to whoever has a PAL...Unless the system is down at the time...which always happens at the worst times....
Further the police will not seize a gun that has been registered, if you don't have your regy card becuase it hasn't been sent to you yet, but it is registered on the computer, we have enough paper work, but then again...don't forget the moron factor...someone just out of Brainwashing school in Regina, may think..."No Card, No carry"...it is all in inerpretation..
I hope that helps,

bone-collector
10-03-2004, 07:06 AM
yes Craig be carefull on this one , we have seen a few of th rookies goto power this fall up here and try and take firearms that the folks didnt have reg cards for , as well as 1 little shitbrick making me dismantle my sons 30-06 to show him the serial number that was under the dam scope base ...I like re-sighting in a rifle :?

ratherbefishin
10-03-2004, 07:49 AM
The irony of it is of course, while every RCMP officer is checking your registration papers and taking up police time doing whatever they do about it, they are not going after the illegal firearms trade which continues unabated on just about every city street.
By far the most crime is committed with these weapons, and they must be laughing their heads off at us silly citizens dutifully complying with the beurocratic paperwork, which does nothing more than make it look like the government is''doing something'' about fighting crime.
I suppose it creates work for the bean counters too, and no doubt it gets votes, but beyond that I see no tangible benefit to anyone.I registered my guns for the sole reason I didn't want my hunt jeoprodized by a zealous cop, and even there, I have to admit they are just doing their job.
I remember a discussion I had with one chap at the police station- he said he didn't wanted to be quoted, but he agreed 100% with me-all this was doing was clogging up the system with useless paperwork and preventing them from being where they do the most good- being a presence on the streets

Mulie_Hunter
10-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Well I was looking at the rules under the wildlife act and it states that if you have a valid hunting licence that is current then you are exempt from having to carry a firearms. licence check it out!

htttp://www.gp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/W/Wildlife/8_99htm#section23.1

I can't get it to link.

From what I understand from it if you have hunting licence then you need not carry your firearms license.

Mauser98
10-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Well I was looking at the rules under the wildlife act and it states that if you have a valid hunting licence that is current then you are exempt from having to carry a firearms. licence check it out!

htttp://www.gp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/W/Wildlife/8_99htm#section23.1

I can't get it to link. If you go to the site look at section 4 (1).

From what I understand from it if you have hunting licence then you need not carry your firearms license.

Section 4.1 0f the Wildlife Act refers to a definition of a park

Section 23.1(as referenced in your link above) was repealed 2003-09-27.

The Province used to have Firearms Licences for those people who wanted to pack a long gun but didn't want to buy a Hunting Licence. The firearms Licence(Prov) was good for 5 years at a cost of $20.00.

When the Federal Firearms Licences came out the need for a provincial one disappeared and they ceased to be required.

Marc
10-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the clarification .

Marc.

valleycowboy
10-25-2004, 08:53 PM
i was told last year by our co's,the law is federal and the co's are provincal.his final words "have a good day and be safe"

coaster
10-25-2004, 11:33 PM
Qns. Cowboy, thank you for your logical interpration of the stupid C68 law.. I have just returned from a hunt in the Prince George area, we were checked at Hixon ( because of road conditions ), in my party was a Vancouver cop and a retired member of your force, ( needless to say great discussions around a bottle of rum at the campfire ) we where asked for our paperwork by the young officer in Hixon, I had no problem with showing him mine, the problem came when the Vancouver cop said " shove it! " The retired guy said " show me the regulation that say's I have to show you my personall information " It took about i/2 hour while this discussion played out.
The end result was " have it with you when you come up here next time " . No disrespect to the guy on duty, he was only doing his job , but he was totally out classed by two other guys who were not to happy with the law and had enough info to make tough on him...

Foxer
10-25-2004, 11:51 PM
show me the regulation that say's I have to show you my personall information " It took about i/2 hour while this discussion played out.

Odd.. there really IS a rule that says you have to. It's one of the bones of contentions for those who claim c-68 violates personal charter rights - you do not have the right to remain silent with regards to questions involving firearms. You must present your paperwork (or the police can seize the guns until you do - and can legally destroy the guns after 14 days with a judges permission).

Here's the weird thing - you're required to produce the paperwork or have your gun seized, but it's not actually a crime not to have your paperwork. It just gives the cop the right to take the gun till you can produce it.

Cops shouldn't be asking about reg certs. Gun license, maybe, hunting license if you have an animal, but the province isn't even prosecuting registration violations.

bill
10-26-2004, 06:02 PM
personally i think its all in the mood of the co or cop who stops u and of course how u treat them..just remember hunters motto prepare for anything and expect the unexpected and the hunter shall overcome....oh yes and allways smile keep em guessing...