PDA

View Full Version : duck blasting sunday..

Deerwhacker
12-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Well headed er up to my favorete body of water in the fraser vally for some duck blasting sunday. we dident have much of anything for a blind (exept the cover of laying down in the grass) . still me and my buddy ended up with 12 mallards and it was a good day despite our blind issues. had we had a sufficent blind this would have easely been our first limit day.http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/Howhacker/IMGP0461.jpg

Deerwhacker
12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/Howhacker/IMGP0455.jpg

Dano
12-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Looks like you guys had a good shoot. A decent blind is always an asset but this year I've been just dropping down behind whatever cover is available. Just stay as still as possible until the shot.
What call do you use? Do you hunt over a dog or just rely on the "6 foot" retriever (that's what my buddy calls me whenever I have to pick birds up by hand :) ).
Thanks for adding the pics,
Dano

Deerwhacker
12-13-2006, 11:01 PM
We use a primos nag and a primos phat lady. And the human retrever as we like to call it was hard at work.

Dano
12-13-2006, 11:07 PM
I use a "Yentzen Caller" double Reed call. It's probably 30 years old now but still brings 'em in (as recent as 6 hrs ago!). I have a Primo's Wench that Ian gave me which I use if birds don't respond to my call (higher pitch than the Yentzen). I still don't have the Primos figured out though, blow too hard a lot of the time....
The reason I asked is Dave had a nice sounding call toniht and we traded off calling and it worked well. If only his call were on sale for 50% off (they're $100).
Dan

craigchaplin
12-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Well done guys!
...........you know of any good videos or books er somethin on duck callin, don't really have anyone to learn from. Doin allright as i have called in a few but definately needs work.

Deerwhacker
12-17-2006, 01:47 AM
when it comes to duck callin its as simple as get out there and do it, the more you do it the better you get and you also learn how much to call too. personaly im a rookey at calling and scar alot of ducks away with over calling, but each trip out i end up calling more in so i must be improving.

craigchaplin
12-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Yah......figured out today sometimes don't bother callin at all they sometimes come in on their own.

Deerwhacker
12-17-2006, 08:27 PM
ya for these ducks i ended up only calling a couple back but other than that most of them just came in in line with the roboducks ,not much calling needed.

craigchaplin
12-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Ah yes the robo duck strikes again!
If i don't get one fer christmas i'm gettin one myself right after.

Dano
12-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Victor and I took the Mojo decoy down after a few hours as ducks were circling but not coming right in. I don't think we fired a shot until I put it back out!
It definately made a difference.
Dan

HuntNHookSports
12-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I like my robo so much, I bought the company....No I didn't but I ordered a second one. I am going to use 20 dekes and 2 robos (its all I can carry). Anybody have tips on a 2 robo set up?
Dano you are on fire. 8 ducks in 11 shots is amazing. I can't believe you are still getting limits. Maybe I should move to the city where the hunting is better. I got skunked on Saturday at CowBay and I was using your V style decoy set up. I need a better portable blind but it just adds weight to the pack. Thousands of diving ducks there.

MichelD
12-18-2006, 02:00 PM
May I ask?

What the "V style decoy setup" ?

I know about the "J" and "C" I've seen what Ian does (two groups with a landing zone in the middle) and I have two books on decoy setups out of the library I'm looking a bit by bit, but I'd like to hear abut a setup that works with our particular ducks.

I have 14 dekes, I think its.

Michel

HuntNHookSports
12-18-2006, 08:31 PM
"try setting the dekes in a loose "V" with a gap at the center in front of you. Robo set deep in the V near you. I use this all the time, don't put the dekes out more than 25-30 yards either side of you and away from shore (if wind at your back). If from the side, make the upwind decoys curve out and away from you, leave a gap in front where you want the birds to land and stretch out decoys closer in parrallel to shore just downwind. Put the robo just upwind of you. I include a picture of my spread with the decoys in 2 bunches either side of my robo and my hide (a loose "V"). Light wind at our backs."
Quote from Dano (AKA Got My Limit Again Dano) from thread "Pit Report." He has a good picture in the original thread.

Dano
12-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Michel,
The loose V is basically like Ian does. I just taper the decoys towards my blind from either side of me. The robo in the middle where I want the birds to land. You can put a small amount of decoys ion one side of you and a larger amount on the other side if you wish. Use a natural bay and point to direct birds to the landing point. If the wind is from left to right, put more decoys on the left and farther out and string the decoys a little closer to shore on the downwind side still leaving the gap in front of you. This can help direct the birds closer as they come in. It's basically a J setup but use a loosepattern, not the birds lined up like in the magazine pics.
That said, Victor and I set up sunday in a very light breeze with hardly a ripple on the water. We waited in the dark for probably 10 minutes trying to sort out the swirling wind and checking out a couple locations. At first light we found we were set up wrong for the wind but as it was very light we stayed put and it worked out. Mid morning had the wind pick up at our backs and we were good except the dog dragged one decoy out when it retrieved a bird and with the wind picking up, 3 more decoys came loose from anchor and drifted half way across the slough and hung up there. We left things as they were but probably should have got the boat and reset the decoys that moved..... Birds still came in ok, maybe we could have had a little better committment from some with the spread tighter though....
Dan
P.S. We had out 17 decoys and a Cabelas Mojo mallard robo. About half my spread are magnum mallards (all decoys are mallards).