PDA

View Full Version : living with a walker coonhound

4pointhunter
12-13-2006, 12:26 AM
just got a walker he is 7 weeks old, he is living in the house with us and sleeping in a crate in our bedroom i am a shift worker at a mill so my girlfriend has been training him when i am gone, and i take over when i get home, so sleep has been hard to come by, i am looking for some advice on kennel training and housebreaking!!
we are also wondering about leaving him home alone, is he gonna bark the whole time he is left in the crate? we live in a new subdivision so neigbors are kinda close.
does anyone else keep a walker as a pet and have any tips ?
will things get better as he get older?
we have a pug and 2 cats in the house also will they continue to get along?
and will he still be a good hunting dog living with cats?
thanks

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/trigger.jpg

Steelheadfreak
12-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Well my Catahoula has finally settled down a bit when it comes to us going to bed. We put him in his kennal at about 10:30/11pm and he finally sleeps through the night till 6am. he is a hair over 3 months. Just be patient and keep a shedule as far as the kennal thing goes. He will learn that he isint in jail forever when you put him in. He will however protest for a few weeks every time he is jailed. One word of advice is get that cage out of the bedroom........NOW! No dog should sleep in the same room as you at night. He will become a "mommas boy" in no time. When he cries, let him cry. Just be sure he does his business before you put him down. At 7 weeks, you should be putting him out to do that business about every hour to hour-n-half durring the day. Then at about 2 am again, then at 5am............lol. Just be patient and he will learn.

Its tuff to leave a pup of only 7 weeks for any length of time. I wouldnt leave mine in his kennal for more than a few hours durring the day. If you have too, get a bigger kennal. One he can move or play in at least. Put chewies and toys in to keep him occupied. He will prob crap himself a few times but that will pass as well. We can now leave our pup for up to 3 to 4 hours alone and free in the house before he goes nuts and destroys something........lol

ex bc guide
12-13-2006, 01:25 PM
its a hound dog bottom line, they are not easy to train they are stubborn dogs and usually have the drive to hunt,so having cats and a hound dog is not a good combo,you may get lucky and not have this problem,it also depends on what you want this dog to do.

Barracuda
12-13-2006, 04:15 PM
I am with Mike on this. The hound and cat thing could mean issues . I dont think i would like a sleeping crate in the bedroom . it is young and it is just gonna take some time and Physical investment to get it to be housetrained and liveable . (it will never be a low maintainance dog) .

houndogger
12-14-2006, 12:40 AM
Once he starts treeing or killing your house cat head for the bush. Dump him out on the first fresh cougar track you find and bingo you are in buisness!8-) :wink: :biggrin: That is what they are breed to do.

4pointhunter
12-14-2006, 02:03 AM
thanks for the info i am hopeing he will grow up with these cats and think of them as roomates but still hate all other cats
and yeah i am still thinking of the best place for him to sleep, we put him in the bedroom so we can tell him to laydown as he is getting used to the crate and not have to run up and down the stairs all the time, because as soon as we are out of sight he wines and barks.
i am thinking the best answer will be moveing the crate and getting a bark collar.

mapguy
12-14-2006, 07:33 AM
had a bark collar on a dog it left a serious hole

Steelheadfreak
12-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Let him whine and bark in the kennal. It will stop eventually.

ex bc guide
12-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Bark collars should not be left on for long periods of time or they will create a raw spot on the dogs neck causing you greif, as far as trying to get you hound to get along with the cat........Will not happen!! these dogs are meant to hunt cats, great family pets also,they do need tons of running time as well.Remember hounds are stubborn so letting him whine and bark in the kennel will not stop on its own! Get yourself a squirt bottle and give him a spray and tell him quiet when he does this.

Barracuda
12-14-2006, 12:50 PM
I will be interested in hearing how this all works out for you . The only hounds i have heard of that ignore cat are bear dogs or coon dogs that have been broke off the house cat but even then they couldnt be trusted. I have used the collar as a training aid but it is a controlled situation (dont just put it on and leave) and it is not left on the animal. Welcome to the world of tracking collars, lost dogs frustraition and hopefully reward:)

houndogger
12-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Anyways good luck with your coonhound. Where did you get the little fella from?

Beverly
12-15-2006, 06:07 PM
just got a walker he is 7 weeks old, he is living in the house with us and sleeping in a crate in our bedroom i am a shift worker at a mill so my girlfriend has been training him when i am gone, and i take over when i get home, so sleep has been hard to come by, i am looking for some advice on kennel training and housebreaking!!
we are also wondering about leaving him home alone, is he gonna bark the whole time he is left in the crate? we live in a new subdivision so neigbors are kinda close.
does anyone else keep a walker as a pet and have any tips ?
will things get better as he get older?
we have a pug and 2 cats in the house also will they continue to get along?
and will he still be a good hunting dog living with cats?
thanks

See this thread for house training info:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8845

A pup is feeling rather shell-shocked when it leaves it's momma and siblings. If you want the pup to feel comfortable in the crate then never use the crate as punishment nor put the pup in it as punishment. I would try putting a warm hotwater bottle in the crate wrapped in a towel, an alarm clock (the noisey wind-up type that ticks) and a stuffed toy / bone or other interesting toy. I've also been known to set a pups crate on my bedside table so that they can see I am there and that there is no need to fret. A blanket over the sides of a crate helps them to feel a bit more den-like too.

If your pup already sleeps in the crate is it really fair to leave him in it during the day? If you want him to like the crate (mine all have crates and they see them as a safe haven not a jail, I don't even have doors on most lol). If you set up an x-pen or such it would provide some amusement safely outside the crate but still contain the pup to a small area. I always provide a bit more space as is earned for not destroying the place :) Give it things to do when you are gone...those treat balls that you fill with kibble work well, kongs with goodies in them...leave a radio/tv on and don't make a big deal coming or going.

Many a dog owner will cause seperation anxiety by cues eg: keys / shoes / cutesy "bye-byes"....the dog stresses knowing you are leaving and then does something bad out of frustration. In these cases if you find the dog did do something wrong when you arrive home just ignore it (ya I know this is hard) BUT if you make a big deal they, in doggie mind...anitcipate getting shit when you leave so it becomes a snowball effect.

It's not a bad thing to have your pup in the bedroom....it is about fair consistent leadership and an all-around crappy leader will have issues period no matter where the dog sleeps. My "pack" sleeps in the bedroom....without issue of who the leader is because I maintain fair consistent leadership at all times. (doing so when they were pups was really important!)

Cats- I have Alaskan Malamutes, (they are not hunting dogs) but they are notorious furry critter killers (including small dogs & they like cats on white with cheddar lol).
Again, proper leadership is key...my Mals were NEVER allowed to mess with the cat from day-1. I OWNED THE CAT...he was mine and they were not to mess with him period. As pups the cat kicked some Malamute ass and they never disrespected the cat :lol: As part of the pack the cat was respected and left alone. Having a cat in the home never ever stopped them from seeing other cats in the yard / other furry critters as anything less then prey.

4pointhunter
12-19-2006, 06:26 PM
well we are thinking this might have been a bad idea training a puppy, working and raising a 1.5 year old baby is alot of work!
just wondering if we decide to adopt this puppy out how much intrest there would be for someone to take him?
maybe $250 obo includeing a brand new electric bark collar

i added a couple more picts in my gallery

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3988&cat=500

Nait Hadya
12-19-2006, 06:49 PM
What's his breeding? UKC? Any other pics?

Beverly
12-19-2006, 10:18 PM
maybe $250 obo includeing a brand new electric bark collar

If you really want a good home for your pup I could take him immediately if you want (I am local to you)

I will not buy him from you but I would have him vetted, altered and find him an excellent screened home with breed experience. (I do dog rescue, helping dogs/people for last 18 years, I don't buy dogs).

You could keep the collar...at 8 weeks old using one is more a cruelty than training. There are citronella collars that are much kinder on wee babies....but even so he is too young for much of that type of thing.

Beverly
01-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey forgot to update... "Little "Trigger" spent like 1 whole day here then got a great foster home thru my firends at Canadian Hound Rescue who gave him some vet care and basic training. He has been adopted into a permanent home for a couple weeks now and is doing GREAT!

Cheers :)

Barracuda
01-12-2007, 09:35 PM
good to hear

SHAKER
01-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Just a thought for ya, but kick that hound outside where he belongs, as soon as you can. It's good for them to be out in the cold a fair bit, seems to tuff'n them up. I know when you leave them in the bush overnight that it can't be too warm. As far as the house cat??? I refer to them as "Turkey's" and let that hound have a good chew on him. The only use I have for a house cat is a disposable training tool and not much else. Barking is just one of the joy's of a hound, don't worry it will eventually turn into sweet mountain music. I used to have hounds when I lived in Abbotsford and really didn't care what my neighbors said about noise. Welcome to fun stuff and don't be affraid to let that pup teach you a thing or two about hunt'n. I't takes some time when you don't have older dogs to run with, but let him figure it out and get the taste for "Turkey" and things will work just fine. Are you considering getting Radio Tracking? or are you going to do it the hard way? (The way I started- Running head down trying to keep up)

chola
01-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Just a thought for ya, but kick that hound outside where he belongs, as soon as you can. It's good for them to be out in the cold a fair bit, seems to tuff'n them up. I know when you leave them in the bush overnight that it can't be too warm. As far as the house cat??? I refer to them as "Turkey's" and let that hound have a good chew on him. The only use I have for a house cat is a disposable training tool and not much else. Barking is just one of the joy's of a hound, don't worry it will eventually turn into sweet mountain music. I used to have hounds when I lived in Abbotsford and really didn't care what my neighbors said about noise. Welcome to fun stuff and don't be affraid to let that pup teach you a thing or two about hunt'n. I't takes some time when you don't have older dogs to run with, but let him figure it out and get the taste for "Turkey" and things will work just fine. Are you considering getting Radio Tracking? or are you going to do it the hard way? (The way I started- Running head down trying to keep up)

UMMMM..:shock: .the post 2 above yours, mentions that the pup has found a new home...8)

SHAKER
01-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Oops I didn't have time to go threw everyones response. They just wanted an opinion. My Bad.

Chuck
01-26-2007, 06:02 PM
What a picture! Ya just gotta LOVE that face!!!!!

big game walker hounds
01-28-2007, 09:49 PM
hi there i run walker hounds, stricktly on cougar. but the od donear dosnt hert throu out the of season. if i was you by about the age of 13-15 weeks i would start trying to have him stay out side more often. are you going to run him.? ...
if so i would look up lion country supplies on the net and by some training scent right quickly, and just play with him in the back yard making some cent drags to get him relying on his nose.