PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Stove problem

Husky7mm
12-12-2006, 06:04 PM
This october I camped in the bush it was about -10 at night which isn't that bad but my trusty coleman propane stove would not stay lite in the cold mornings. No coffee, no oatmeal.:-( Any buddy else? Should I be getting a new fitting or regulator or be lokking at butane?

tuchodi
12-12-2006, 06:21 PM
If there was a lot of frost showing how much propane you had left in the bottle it may have been to cold to produce the pressure to make gas. I have also had an orfice pluged a little and in the cold it really afects the performance. You may also had a little condensation in the bottle restricting the flow. I always take a second small bottle with me and keep it in the tent for those real cold occasions. Coffee is a must.:lol:

Deaddog
12-12-2006, 07:32 PM
yep, I have had the same problem when it gets cold, never on the big tanks but the small ones for sure, have an extra and bring it inside is the best advice...... or just stop in at tuchodi's tent for coffee on the way out hunting:lol:

BCLongshot
12-12-2006, 08:12 PM
That's the bummer with the propane, I use the trusty old gas 1.

Fisher-Dude
12-12-2006, 10:05 PM
That's the bummer with the propane, I use the trusty old gas 1.

Me too. I watched butane fail in the cold weather this year too.

Blacktail
12-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I have a couple different stoves
Normally I like the propane but when I am going into really cold stuff I pull out the old white gas stove.

Husky7mm
12-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Is white gas the one you pump up? I also tried to use 3 drifferent little propane bottles all with the same results.The cold did not bother the lantern or the boot dryer, thats why I was wondering if it was a part on the stove.

johnes50
12-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Does your stove run good now? If it does then it was the cold, if not then clean the orifices. I bought one used because one gas tube had a piece of metal stuck inside. Hope that helps.

They disassemble very easy and it doesn't take long to clean them. John

270WIN
12-19-2006, 04:29 PM
I have a couple different stoves
Normally I like the propane but when I am going into really cold stuff I pull out the old white gas stove.

so you you have never had trouble with white gas in the cold reason i am asking i am in the market for a new stove well i meen my girl friend i think got me one for xmas i was asking for white gas as i prefer it over probain but if white gas works in the cold better then probain that an added bonus

tuchodi
12-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Yes white gas is very good in the cold. I find you have to be a little more carefull with white gas over propane. Just make sure you don't spill any and then light the stove. Good luck and happy camping.