PDA

View Full Version : Nanaimo Turkey Shoot - bit of a ramble

Bow Walker
12-10-2006, 09:17 PM
For those of you that went hunting today...I hope you had half as good a time as the ones that chose to travel to Nanaimo and take in the fun.

There were Trap shooters going at it for two full days - rain, mist, wind, or what-have-you. Today there was added (so I heard) some 75 or so archers into the mêlée. The concession and the "gaming" tables were all well supported.

We sane? people started what was initially supposed to be a single round - two arrow, 20 target foam hunt. But, there was such a turnout of eager participants that the shoot was quickly turned into a "proper?" event.

There were enough shooters on the second round that we had to go from a Walk-on start to going back to our original Shotgun start positions. Surprised weren't you Mark?:lol:

From all of the shooters in the "Skins" group, a big Thank You to the organizer(s) and volunteers who setup and tore down the targets in the cold and wet.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA)

Everyone that we talked to was having a hoot. There were enough turkeys to satisfy everyone of the One-In-Three-Shooters who had their names called out. Lots of smiling faces out back by the BBQ pit where the draw winners were announced. Trouble was, the BBQ was as cold as the weather - no samples.

Not that the N.F.G. Archers are predictable but....that Moose was setup out there across the same pond at 42 yards. The Elk was also back in under the same tree at his comfortable 36 yard spot, and those two gerschtunken billy goats were out in the snow where there were they were almost invisible - especially in the areas where J. Noble had repaired them. Unlucky for us the repaired areas just happened to be the 10 rings. Only he knew where that 10X was hiding. Odd, eh?

Still and all, John did manage to come in fourth in our skins shoot today. John, that reminds me, just put my winnings in the mail, will you? Ta.

Scores? Who cared about scores today, it was supposed to be a fun shoot. We were allowed to use our rangefinders and make it realistic since there were no scores being posted, or acknowledged.

All in all the event was well worth the price of gas and the $15 entry fee.

Thanks again to the N.F.G. Archers

timberhunter
12-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the kind words Dan. We did have a lot of shooters show up for the fun and games today. I am sure glad its our only shoot where we have other shooting sports at the range on the same day. It really limits our space as to where we can put our targets.

I think maybe next time we'll put the moose in the middle of the pond :lol: hehe. It would be a closer shot but everyone would have to get wet to retreive their arrows 8-)

We'll be using a different trail for our St.pats day shoot, and more animals. But I think everyone who shot today enjoyed a fun day.

I'd like to thank all those who made the drive to come see us. And all the helpers from the nanaimo fish and game archers. These people make my job a lot easier, its a lot of work to put on a shoot. And these people pull through with all the work needed, each and every time. My hats off to all of you, thank you.

As soon as my new bow shows up, I'll have to come show you guys up in the skins game too :lol: . hehe

See all of you at the next shoot.

Merry xmas if I don't get to see you guys before.

Marc S.
Nan archery chair.

Bow Walker
12-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Don't get me wrong here.........not that anyone is, but. The target trail was well laid out (as always) and the shots were interesting - even the Moose. I got to try a 50lb recurve at the big bruiser. I actually hit him with the first arrow to....not where I was intending but at least I hit him.

Some of the shots on the trail were very well placed, with a few interesting positions having to be adopted. Very "hunt-like", which is what 3D is supposed to be.

there are several clubs on this rock that always put on quality shoots, and Nanaimo is certainly one of them.