PDA

View Full Version : Hunting season blues

bone-collector
09-17-2004, 08:00 PM
I decided to share this with all the BC HBCers tonight a a friendly reminder of how fast your hunting trip can go from a holiday to hell in about 2 minutes , 7 am thismorning the lakes district GSAR (ground search and rescue) were called out to find 2 hunters from the kootneys that failed to return yesterday, I wont and cant go into big details but putting a perspective on it it was probably close to a $10,000.00 search in the end with wadges lost and wadges paid as well as fuel and 4x4 trucks .

PLEASE guys if any of you are going to a new area or even a old area but want to investigate the surrounding area ASK on here , there are plenty of good members to offer help, maps, even go out with for a day or so and putt around .

no this dosnt mean I will take you to my favorite moose spots but I will sure as hell help anyone that is here find a decent area I know there are moose in and help them with new roads/active haul roads etc

a simple post asking for help may bring you new hunting buddies and new areas to have a safe and great season and save a wack load of tax dollars and peoples time rooting around hoping you didnt get eaten by a bear :wink:

thanks
Rob

Thunderstix
09-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Good post Bones. I will help pretty much anyone as well.

Gateholio
11-18-2004, 08:56 PM
I hope the hunters were okay!

We have taken to renting a sat phone when we are on real backcountry hunts. Actually, I'm thinking about buying one, as a friend of mine probably saved a guys life last year while sledding, and they were able to call a chopper ASAP, instead of spending 3 hours to get down off the mountain, and then another 30 minutes driving to town!

They are handy to call your wife or whoever and say "Don't worry, we're fine, and we've decided to spend a few more days out here" too...:)