PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Chilliwack area

BwanaDave
09-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone on the forum resides in the Chilliwack area as Ive just got out here earlier this spring from Calgary and am looking to do some hunting here this fall. Any tips or advice as to local area hunting would be appreciated. Thanks

3kills
09-17-2004, 05:52 AM
welcome to the site..theres a few guys that live out that way that might be helpful i m sure some of them will give ya some tips...

cmac
10-01-2004, 11:43 PM
I saw a nice little 2 point at the chilliwack fish and game club about 3 weeks ago:) I live here in chilliwack but mostly hunt the merrit area or beyond, I know a few guys who hunt the bars on the fraser river, also have seen the odd deer up the chilliwack river valley on mt thurston and by foley lake, but I see way more game when I go to merrit.

3kills
10-02-2004, 04:52 AM
cmac what are u talkin about there is no game around here... :wink:

303Fan
10-03-2004, 05:12 AM
Try the Skagit Valley area usually pretty good in the late october

Steeleco
10-03-2004, 05:34 PM
I saw a HUGH 4 point (and a nice 3x4) blacktail standing under the sign at the entry to Skagit prov park in May while looking for blackbears. Maybe we'll cross paths.

BwanaDave
10-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the responses and the tips, I'll probably try the Skagit next week and hopefully get up near Merrit if time allows later in the season. I'd like to collect a nice black bear this fall ( 6 foot plus) as well so if there's anyone in the local area looking for someone to get out hunting with please post a note as Im 41 responsible, fit and new to the area. Thanks again guys. :D

Thunderstix
10-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the responses and the tips, I'll probably try the Skagit next week and hopefully get up near Merrit if time allows later in the season. I'd like to collect a nice black bear this fall ( 6 foot plus) as well so if there's anyone in the local area looking for someone to get out hunting with please post a note as Im 41 responsible, fit and new to the area. Thanks again guys. :D
41! Holy Crap, we are going to have to start a seniors section!
Us 38 year olds are pretty lippy! :lol:

Steeleco
10-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Yes you are KID!!! he's not the only 41 year old on this board. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 38, hell that was so long ago. The older I get the steeper those hills seem to be getting.

303Fan
10-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Well iif your looking for someone to go with i head up to skagit quite often just let me know.I,m 44 so the senoirs are winning
Larry

BwanaDave
10-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks Larry, I'd certainly be interested in tagging along sometime and exploring the skagit. Just PM me beforehand and we'll see if we can put it together.
Dave

Freshtracks
10-18-2004, 10:55 PM
LOL....don't call this 44 year old a senior...at least not yet. :-P

Foxer
10-19-2004, 05:08 AM
LOL....don't call this 44 year old a senior...at least not yet. :p How about "pops"? Can we call you that? :D

3kills
10-19-2004, 06:17 AM
or even old timer???

Foxer
10-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Is it too early for 'Gramps'?

BwanaDave
10-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Well guys here is an update on the quest, I checked out the skagit valley today, and the chipmunk / cheam area on Tuesday. Walked probably 8-10 miles / day , glassed for hours over some promising looking slash and regrown slides, found some nice meadows and had a wonderful couple of days. Didnt see a whole lot though 1 small (2yr old?) blackie chomping grass and a couple of grouse, although I managed to pop a rabbit for the pot on the way home Tuesday. Sure is different from what Im used to.

Next stop Merrit

3kills
10-21-2004, 06:25 PM
u might just wanna skip merritt there doesnt seem to be much for game around here this year...well not for me anyways i havent only seen one legal dam deer since any size buck has opened...let me know when u are coming and where about u are going...

youngbuck
10-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey Bwana,

Would you be interested in hooking up for spring bear in Squamish?
Contact me if your interested.

On a side note, I'd like to introduce myself to everyone on the site.....
I'm in my early 30's live in Vancouver and have been hunting for approx 7 years. Do alot of my hunting with the father-in-law but am looking for another hunting partner closer to my age. At his age, fear and old age pains restrict him to road type hunting. This is starting to sound like a personal ad? :(

Anyways, I believe this a great forum to the exchange of information in the hunting community. I feel there is too much seperation between hunters. This site could provide a starting point to bringing the hunting community closer together and thus stronger. I will be promoting this site to other hunters and empower you all to do the same.

I'll get off my soap box now :shock:

I look forward to chatting with you all in the future.

BwanaDave
10-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Pm sent Youngbuck
Dave

Steeleco
10-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Don't give up just yet. Like I said I saw two nice sized deer in the spring, one was a beauty. Rut can't be far off :roll: I'm headed into that area Saturday, hope I see a bear, I can't believe I haven't seen any this year let alone shot one.:mad::mad: I think I need to move to the north shore and take up bow hunting.:shock:

palmer
10-29-2004, 05:23 PM
bwanadave...you may want to give Merritt a little look. If you do hunt i would suggest south of Merritt, we were there last week and if you are in to walking the hills you should see some game. Although we did not see any large bucks(a little early maybe) we did see does and small bucks. I have always seen my fair share of mulies there. Good luck

3kills
10-29-2004, 06:30 PM
i m tellin ya guys there is no animals around here...lol j/k any ways youngbuck welcome to the site...

Freshtracks
10-29-2004, 11:16 PM
How about "pops"? Can we call you that? :D

LOL...nah pops is in another 10 years....and ol' timer is when I look after camp and tend the fire....definitely not gramps (I have a 16 year ol daughter) ;
;-)

Foxer
10-29-2004, 11:45 PM
How bout 'sparky'? I've always wanted to have a friend named 'sparky'. "Hey sparky!" I'd say... "round up skeeter and coot and we'll see if we can drag the truck out of that ditch." hehehehhehe.

Sorry. I haven't slept much the last few days :)

3kills
10-30-2004, 04:26 AM
lol foxer...there is guys that call my dad sparky...his real name is spike...well actaully thats not really his real name either but thats what he goes by...

slayer
10-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Alot more bucks showing up in the Chilliwack area. Not very many big one, but I'll keep ona waitin. Seen a few 3points on vedder mountian. Goodluck boys!

BwanaDave
11-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the tip Slayer, There's one less three point blacktail up there now !!

Crazypop
10-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Brand new to this area as well.
Is there places to go grouse/deer hunting around Chilliwack?
Thanks for the info.

doog3
10-14-2005, 02:38 PM
we were in Kamloops area and we went hunting in the Knouff Lake area and others area and we saw no deer at all no tracks no nothing, and we only saw 2 grouse

ch valley hunter
10-15-2005, 08:50 PM
BwanaDave, I live in Chilliwack and am off work Monday -Thursday if you want to go up sometime.
Joel

lapadat
10-16-2005, 10:59 AM
BwanaDave,

There are decent bucks in the Chwk river valley but as has been said before you have to work for them. I have been hunting harrison, chehalis, chwk, etc, for several years and have found bucks but they don't come easy. Well, sometimes but not often.

I pretty much always hike and glass and glass and glass. I enjoy spot/stalking the most and see many more animals with patient watching than with hurried hiking. I also find that if you can get into an area with little to no hunting pressure you will find more "relaxed" animals....whereas the animals in popular areas are extremely skittish and elusive. So get into the high/back country.

Good luck...let me know how you make out this fall.

I shot this 4X4 blacktail at the end of September in the chwk valley.

Lapadat

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/847Picture_171-med.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1282&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

DBM
10-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Pictures like that do nothing but fuel my addiction. I miss an opportunity pretty much every year I hunt the Chilliwack area but it's always been in the dark, thick brush in the lower elevations. Can anyone suggest a route in the lower mainland area that allows me to hike into the higher elevations?

My lack of success in harvesting a blacktail is getting very frustrating but when I do harvest my first blacktail it'll be that much more rewarding. Right?lol

ruger#1
10-16-2005, 03:55 PM
hey dbm never give up on blacktails just keep looking and youll sucseed. if you bow hunt sumas mountian, rifle dewdny or up in hope area.

BCHunter
10-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Lapadat is that tree rubbings on his right antler?

lapadat
10-17-2005, 10:25 PM
BCHunter,

Yes that is tree rubbings on the right antler near the brow tine. Good observation.

Lapadat

BCHunter
10-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I've always have thought deer only rub to clean their antlers of the velvet and in the rut.

question, could these blacktails be rutting early?

ruger#1
10-17-2005, 10:43 PM
ive watched them. racking trees in mid october. the buck i shot this year, had the same thing.

lapadat
10-18-2005, 06:40 AM
I read somewhere about scent-post rubs - which are larger rubs used for marking a dominant bucks' territory. I've only found one (Sumas Mnt) but it was massive. It may be the reason this guy had been marking up trees.

lapadat

cwocarsten
12-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Now that you are in Chwk you may be interested in our 4th annual Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation Chilliwack Chapter Banquet on 08 April 06 at the Best Western on Lickman rd. You can email me for more info. Carsten a fellow chillowackian hunter.