PDA

View Full Version : Bought me a bow. Release and rest questions

dan_plus_o
12-07-2006, 08:41 PM
So I just won an ebay auction for a Apline Frontier. Bow is brand new and comes with:

True Glo 3-pin Fiber Optic Sight
Alpine Bear Claw Quiver
Alpine Whisperflite Drop AwayHere is the ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160058346313&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006

I was wondering if that is a good rest. I have heard good things about drop away rests, but is that a good one?

What release should I buy or does it matter?

Is this one a good release?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150068363326&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

Also what arrows should I buy from Peter's Sports? Are those Radial X Weave arrows that come in the tubes (6 arrows) good arrows to get? Do you know if they come with practice tips?

The Hermit
12-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Terrible bow!!! ;-) Just kidding dude I don't know squat! I would suggest taking it into the shop and paying them to get it all set up for you, and setting the draw weight down to 60# to start. Good price for all that too! How much do they retail for?

magicarrowman
12-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Don't really know much about the bow...as far as your question on arrows, they're not too bad.(I shoot them myself) There are better ones out there though.....Gold Tips, and Rick can order them in for you( if you don't mind waiting 3 months for them to come in!!!). The arrows only come with inserts, no field points. Rick's got lots of them there though. If he's out, run over to Walmart and pick up a pack for $2 to $3.

magicarrowman
12-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Oh yeah...a release...There's lots of different ones on the market. I won't suggest a certain brand because to each his own. Whatever feels the most comfortable on your wrist is the one you should go with. I would suggest that it is a caliper release though.(personal opinion)

dan_plus_o
12-07-2006, 09:26 PM
When I was doing a search to find more info on the bow I found a site that was selling the same thing for $330 (Or somewhere around there). Most likely an american site too.

I asked the sller if they would set it up for me (they are a store), so I am waiting on a reply from him.

When I was at peter's sports the other day, rick mentioned he was getting new bows called frontier. He said they were a combo, so I am guessing he was talking about this bow. He said he would be selling them for around $350 CAD.

So do you think rick (or whoever else works at peter's sports) would set up my bow if I brought it in? Someone on another forum said that some stores won't set up your bow (even if you pay them) for you unless you bought it from them.

So all I need is arrows, release, and do I need a D ring for the release? If I buy a D ring, peep sight, and button kisser do you think peter's sports would install them for me??

mikek blacktail
12-07-2006, 09:30 PM
rick will set it up for yah if you buy the gear you need from him ,or if you pay him ,if yah need any help with your new bow pm me ,or if yah want to go do some shooting I have a member ship at the range there isn,t much I don't know about bows.D oops save wear on your string so get one.

dan_plus_o
12-07-2006, 09:39 PM
if yah need any help with your new bow pm me ,or if yah want to go do some shooting I have a member ship at the range

That would be sweet, thanks for the offer. Rick was telling me about the 3D range they have. He said its in the woods so it would be like real hunting situations. Sounds pretty sweet. I will probably get a member ship when hunting season comes around so I have the insurance and I can practice a bunch before hunting starts.

I will probably get my bow in 2 weeks or so.

mikek blacktail
12-08-2006, 12:22 AM
I'm going to castlegar next week but i'll be back on the 23 pm me when your bow comes.

The Hermit
12-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Cool. I'm keen to hear how all this works out. I plan on buying a bow in Feb after the course. We can compare notes!

magicarrowman
12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Dan...definitely take mikek up on his offer. He knows his stuff!!

dan_plus_o
12-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Will do. I'll probably want to shot it a bit before going to an archery range. Since I am new to bow shooting I will probably have to work my muscles up a bit. I sent an email to the seller to see if I could get the 50-60 pound pull version. He is selling them in his ebay store for $423 CAD (what a deal I got), so hopefully he will be alright with switching them. Although maybe the 70# bow was up for bidding because it was over stock and they wanted to get rid of it. If thats the case then they probably won't want to send me th 50-60# one.

Has anyone used a Tru Fire Bear Paw X-Caliper Glove Style Bow Release? Is the Glove style better then the wrist strap style?

Here is the glove style release:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200054617374&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Or there this one:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190059340174&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Im gonna phone peter's sports to see what he is selling them for. Probably gonna be cheaper on ebay though.

Bow Walker
12-08-2006, 03:02 PM
You got yourself a deal there Dan, congratulations.

The bow is a good one.

The rest is also a good one.

Get off the internet and go kill some targets!!

dan_plus_o
12-08-2006, 03:51 PM
the joys of buying off ebay...

Now I have to wait about 2 weeks for it to arrive.

magicarrowman
12-08-2006, 04:00 PM
If I could suggest....when you do get it and its set up, go to the Fish and Game club with mikek blacktail. There is a normal range with big bag targets ranging from 10 to 40 yards, as well as the 3d range with 20 different targets. If you practice there, and with mikek blacktail, you can get everything pin pointed, etc. Don't be shy to ask him for help setting everything up on your bow!! He'll give you more than enough advice and help.

Cdn-Redneck
12-10-2006, 08:42 AM
I would reccomend a Fletcher fletchhunter release. It is top quality and you can adjust the strap to the length you like. The one from ebay is also good.

http://www.fletcherarchery.com/prd_fletchunter.html

bsa30-06
12-10-2006, 10:54 AM
I have to wait about 2 weeks for it to arrive.[/quote]

Oh yes the 2 week killer waiting period before you can play with your new toy.congrats on the new bow.

mikek blacktail
12-10-2006, 01:47 PM
I love my scott release

dan_plus_o
12-10-2006, 02:18 PM
I just bought a release off ebay. I bought a Tru Fire Bear Paw X-Caliper Glove Release. Total price: $29 CAD.

I really like the feel of the glove releases. I never tried the tru fire one out but they have a glove release at peter's sports that I tried out, and it feels really nice on the hand. Almost feels like you are holding a pistol or something.

http://i16.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/e9/e0/3a_1_b.JPG

5/10/85
12-12-2006, 12:17 PM
That other stuff doesn't matter (bow & release) IMHO - pick one and get good with them. But the rest - the whisker biscuit is the way to go - you'll never have an arrow fall off your rest.

Nails
12-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Good deal Dan, enjoy your bow. The equipment on it is good to start with, then go from there. Have fun and come out to some shoots.

puppychow
12-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Any wrist strap release and a basic rest usually a prong type. Try to get a release that has a pivot point so it leaves your hands free. Have fun with your bow. Never heard of the whisperflite, but alpine makes good products.