PDA

View Full Version : 5-13c

ratherbefishin
09-14-2004, 05:59 PM
My son and I drew a ''shared moose'' hunt for 5-13c- and we are booked into Fishpot lake resort for the last week of September.I have never hunted this area - any advice etc would be most welcome.Wearen't looking for a big bull- a nice 3 year old would be most welcome.Do you drive roads, or hunt slashes ?

3kills
09-14-2004, 08:12 PM
if i was u i would just drive the roads...should be hard to fill ur tags around that area..

ratherbefishin
09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
did you mean''should be hard'' or ''shouldn't be hard''to fill your tag?I've never hunted that area-what is the country like?And, although our tag is for a bull, what is the deer hunting like?[ white tail?Mulies?]I have a bear tag, but will probably use that here on Vancouver Island-I do like a nice fall bear- makes great smoked hams

3kills
09-14-2004, 08:30 PM
oops ment shouldnt be hard...i have hunted more of 5-13b...some one to get some advice on the are from would be willyqbc or swamper...they both live there...deer hunting there u should be able to tag a mulie buck...bears well when i was up there last year i seee a hole lot of bears but didnt havea bear tag..so u could tag a bear there too...

ratherbefishin
09-14-2004, 08:41 PM
I didn't know what season to pick[ it's split-up to september 30 and the second one October on]so I took the september opening- and am told thats a little early , but I'm heading off for the last week of my tag-up to september 30th.Is it worth trying calling?And- are the moose typically moving at daybreak and evening- or anytime of the day?[I have shot over 50 deer, but only one moose, up in Kinbasket lake area a couple of years ago- so I am not really familiar with moose hunting.We took that one late in the day, driving the logging roads and checking out the slashes.

3kills
09-14-2004, 08:55 PM
pm sent to ya...

Freshtracks
09-15-2004, 12:24 AM
rbf...Sept. 30 should be into the rut, so calling will work. Also I understand the owners of Fishpot are more than happy to help out with pointing you in the right direction. Best of luck to you.

ratherbefishin
09-15-2004, 07:19 AM
I'd sure like to her from anybody else who has hunted that area.

swamper
09-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Send a PM to Willyqbc. He has hunted that area quite extensively and should be able to give you some advice. If it's still Pete Carter that runs Fishpot he is a pretty good guy and will be able to help out.

willyqbc
09-15-2004, 09:49 PM
I haven't hunted C in quite few years, been spending most of my time in A and B so I can't really remember where the boundaries are to give you any advice on specific areas. As far as how to get your moose.........

We took that one late in the day, driving the logging roads and checking out the slashes.

...................sounds like you got it pretty well figured out to me!! I will try to find a map with the zones to refresh my memory and will have some more info for you!

Chris

ratherbefishin
09-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Thanks and any local knowlege is greatly appreciated.

willyqbc
09-20-2004, 05:05 PM
OK, after doing some map checking, my best guess would be to try the Michelle-Bazeko road (just past Nazko). Just be careful of some of the roads turning left off this road as some of them will take you back into 5-13A. The 4100 and 4200 do this if I remember correctly but I believe they all have signs posted nowadays. Best advice i can give you is to cover as much ground as possible checking slashes, swamps etc....and stay out ALL day, with the rut on or approaching they will be moving all day. I would say at least half the moose I have taken or been in on have been taken between 10am and 2 pm.

GOOD LUCK!
Chris

ratherbefishin
09-21-2004, 04:48 PM
so... do you sit and call, or just keep moving?What's the country like-open, forested,mountainous, or rolling?I' m taking a double wheel barrow with just the frame, hopefully that will help with packing should we connect-I tried to get a proper game cart but couldn't get one in time

willyqbc
09-21-2004, 09:26 PM
ratherbefishin...... as far as how to get your moose it all depends on what you want out of the hunt. Calling etc. is certainly going to be more exciting if it works. But in my experience your best chance to take your moose is going to be driving around all day, checking cut block after cut block. Not very exciting, but highly effective here. As far as recovering your moose I would suggest a snatch block and as much heavy rope as you can get....pull it up to the road with the truck!

Again, good luck and feel free to throw out any other questions you might have!

Chris

ratherbefishin
09-22-2004, 06:40 AM
thanks for the advice-we're off tonight on the 7 pm boat , hope to drive upas far as Lytton, then get going early tomorrow morning-if my information is correct we should get to Fishpot lake sometime tomorrow afternoon, all being well.We're both looking forward to a good week together, a safe trip, hopefully to see some wildlife, and if the right opportunity presents itself, to take an annimal-[ hopefully a nice fat 3 year old bull]but if we don't, the trip won;t be a failure if that;s all we lack.I'll probably pack my fishing rod too.
My old friend Dr.John McIntyre[ a surgeon in Quesnel back inthe mid 70's and 80's] loved to hunt this area .John passed away 5 years ago next week.His widow, Lise, who still resides here was his OR nurse.

ratherbefishin
10-01-2004, 11:33 AM
well, we had a great week, saw 6 cows but no bulls,so didn't take anything.Lots of grouse[ we took 20] bears[the one we would have taken took off before we could get into range and it was evening]Fishpot lake is unresevedly recommended-great place

Magnum-man
10-01-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm guessing you went too early. They weren't rutting otherwise you would have seen some bulls if you saw cows. That area is best hunted around mid October. I find it easier to call 'em out and one time we brought one out that had a hard on. What a way to go!

ratherbefishin
10-01-2004, 12:45 PM
yah, I now know that- mid October would have been better- but these LEH draws you have to choose up to October 1 , or after that- and I took the early hunt-figured the rut would be on.I heard a cow calling so it's probably started, but I wish I'd be going this week than last.Too bad, too, because I understand the chances of getting a successful draw are limited for the following 2 years, then you get priority again.

3kills
10-01-2004, 03:42 PM
u can still get drawn again next year your odds are just reduced....keep applying either way....