PDA

View Full Version : Searun Cuthroats

johnes50
12-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Anybody fish for searun Cuthroats on the south Island? It's something I've wanted to do but don't know much about them or where they might be. John

BlacktailStalker
12-07-2006, 04:08 PM
I have here in the middle Island (Courtenay)
Hit the estuarys on the flood and high slack, match your fly to whatever species of fry is leaving the river (those times of year are best) as well as a simple single salmon egg fly when they are spawning. Or match to crustaceans in the area i.e shrimp, krill etc depending on kelp abundance etc. If all that fails try attractor patterns.
I always had good luck in the lower couple hundred yards of the Oyster on the high slack where the tide reaches the river pools. Look for structure i.e overhanging windfall etc, they hang out below picking off what floats by and then leave with the ebb.
Oh yeah rivers that come out into the chuck on a raised bed often hold searuns on either side whereas rivers that drain into the chuck in a funnel tend to be shallower in the surrounding areas so reaching them is harder. Use a long med/fast action rod with a good shooting head. Clear line does help too.
Good luck.

Wildman
12-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Both the Cowichan River and Koksilah River have sea-run Cutthroat trout that feed on the salmon fry in the tidal areas between March and May. I used to catch them when I was a kid with my father. The problem with those rivers are that I believe that the tidal areas belong to the aboriginals.....I'm not sure though. I know up here on the northern end of the island that there are lots of searun Cutthroat. I have seen them while fishing for Coho. The Seymour River at the end of Seymour Inlet (not the lower mainland Seymour River) is also loaded with them in October if I remember right, feeding on the dog salmon fry.

bigwhiteys
12-07-2006, 04:38 PM
I know I've seen quite a few guys fishing for them out here in Sidney along Lochside Dr. at certain times of the year. I've never personally tried though.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

steel_ram
12-08-2006, 08:30 AM
I use to catch them off Mt. Doug beach and just North of Cordova bay. Both beaches have creeks comming in. Don't no if they still produce.

Basin bay can be good if your timing is right.

Portage inlet - Gorge - to almost downtown Victoria actually is/was pretty good. They get hit pretty hard by the kids during spring break using bobber and worm.

Sooke Basin has some monsters! A lot of area to cover there.

The best/easiest trout fishing I've had was in Fulford Harbour on Saltspring in the Fall. We usually fish them as a side trip after deer hunting waiting for the ferry.

johnes50
12-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I used to fish a lot, but I've never fished for Cuthroats cause I didn't know where or how to fish for them.

Looks like I'll have to go break out the fishing gear and head out to some of the local hotspots. From what I gather they like minnow/bait type flies or they can be caught on worms as well. Is there a best time of year for them? John

magicarrowman
12-08-2006, 01:45 PM
I always used to catch them from June through Sept. from the Big Qualicum up to the Oyster trolling around the estuarys. Don't know if you'll have any success around this time of year. My lure of choice was always a #6 silver or gold Panther Martin. If they're there, they'll hammer it. I've caught almost every species of freshwater fish on this lure,(from Ont. to BC.) as well as Chinook and Coho. I step it up in size for the salmon (#15). At this time of year, wouldn't you want to be fishing for steelies??

johnes50
12-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Magicarrowman, looks like I'll have to put a couple of Panther Martins in my tackle box. I've always been partial to Indiana blade spinners, like Mepps, but an old fishing buddy of mine was like you and swore by Panther Martins. I'll give them a try. I'll clean the dust off the fly rod and whip up the water a little with that too.

Sounds like the Qualicum and Oyster Rivers are good bets for Cuthroats next spring and summer if I get a couple of days off. I hunted up that way this year and could do some scouting too for next year.

Being from Victoria, I'm looking for someplace to go before or after work or for a days fishing without having to drive a long ways. Any and all good fishing spots are appreciated, though. I never know when I'll get the urge to jump in the truck and take the camper up Island.

I haven't fished for Steelhead, and like Cuthroats, don't really know much about fishing for them. Maybe someday I will gave it a try. John

magicarrowman
12-08-2006, 04:16 PM
John, The biggest searun i've ever seen was at the big Q. It was an amazing 14 pounds!!! The big Q also has both winter and summer run steelies in it, as well as resident rainbows and cutties. It was my most favourite river to fish when I was living on the island.(courtenay) Right from the top, all the way down to the estuary, its pool after pool, with both slow and fast moving water. If you're in that neck of the woods, definitely wet a line there!! There's also some monster black bears roaming around there, as well as deer.

steel_ram
12-08-2006, 09:02 PM
If were talking north of Malahat, then there's all sort of hidey holes. Yeah, pretty much every beach from Cowichan to Menzies bay will have them at times. The San Juan river Estuary is another lightly fished good spot.

I've caught them in the late spring fishing on my lunch break within 5 km of Victoria. If fish aren't showing, search with a light spinning rod and a rainbow kroc. spoon will at least entice some followers.

livingston
12-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I haven't fished for searun cutties arounds Sooke yet but was thinking of trying around the Sooke basin or on the way to Jordan River at Muir creek and some of the smaller creeks,I'm sure there are fish around.

I have caught some big ones in the Campbell river area around Menzies bay.

magicarrowman
12-08-2006, 10:23 PM
yeah, the Campbell River area is good too. Right from Shelter Point up towards Menzies Bay. Even in the next bay up from Brown's Bay in the Semore Narrows. If you're thinkin' of fishing up there, forget Searuns and/or salmon... go for Ling Cod!! this was my favorite place to fish period. Sure you get all species of salmon up there, but if its non-stop, line smokin' action you're looking for, drop a 6 to 8 inch white grub tail on a 4 ounce hook(like for halibut), and see what happens. I've caught uncountable numbers of 10 to 20 pound lings fishing the walls of the narrows. One time I had one come up to eat the 15 pounder on my line... this monster was close to 6 feet long!!! I was able to get it 5 feet from surface before it swam back to the bottom.