PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS?

The 'Hummer'
12-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Thinking of getting a GPS to use primarily for hunting and also considering possibly getting involved in geo caching. I would like to get a good one and was wondering what is considered the 'cream of the crop' or what has anyone found to be the best, most reliable, most accurate, any specific brand recommendation and easiest to use?

Phil
12-07-2006, 10:46 AM
I like the Garmin line. I have a garmin 76CS. It has a colour screan and has all the up-load features for a variety of maps, like topo or blue chart for those who like ocean going. It is waterproof and it floats if you happen to go for a swim by accident. It has a 115mb memory so it will hold a lot of map info. Last time I checked a newer model came out called the 76csx wich has an expandable memory if needed. Both models have altimeters and compass. They are easy to use and easy to figure out the features on the fly. From time to time I download the new software upgrades for it which is also self explanitory. Hope this helps.

dawn2dusk
12-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I am on my 2nd Garmin etrex. Latest one has color display and can load topo maps and marine charts. It is awesome. Have my old yellow etrex as a backup. Had it for almost 10 years of rough abuse in saltwater environments and no problems.

If your lookin to buy make sure you check out this place http://www.gpscentral.ca/ best prices around when i did my research in the spring.

tuchodi
12-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I have the Garmin 60cs and have been real happy with it. My first GPS was the Garmin II Plus which served me very well. Most of the guys I hunt with have Garmins and are happy. I hunted with a fellow this year that had the Garmin Rino 130 and it worked real good. I would look at that for my next one because it saves you packing both a GPS and a Radio. His worked very well up to 3 miles in some rugged going and was compatable with 3 differant radio models. I also like it, as it is waterproff and not just water resistant like most GPS.

The 'Hummer'
12-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Well, I finally made a choice. I had it narrowed down to a couple of units. The first, at the recommendation of former co-worker, I was looking at a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. Second, at the recommendation of a friend and owner of a sporting goods store in Duncan, I went to an outlet in Naniamo and 'considered' the Lowrance iFinder Expedition c. I decided on the Lowrance and in addition I also purchased the Map Create 6 Canadian Topo GPS Mapping Accessoies Pack. Merry Christmas to me!!
The wife uses cross word puzzles ect to keep the 'gray matter' working but that's not for me, unless I can use a black felt pen. What I've started using for a similar purpose is figuring out some of the new techno-toys. So, I now have a full plate with a recently acquired Canon PowerShot S31S, RCBS 1500 ChargeMaster Combo and now the Lowrance GPS & map setup. These should keep me out of 'mischief' for quite a while.

ryanb
12-19-2006, 11:52 AM
I have a lowrance unit and have no complaints about it at all. I use the map create software and was able to get all the topo data for all of BC, Alberta, Sask, and Yukon onto a 1GB SD card.

Ilikebigbucks&Icannotlie
12-21-2006, 12:02 AM
I have a Garmin Legend C, and it's hard to beat for hunting. With WAAS enabling, it has a nice, smooth track, and is very accurate. I use survey grade Trimble GPS units for work, and I thought I wouldn't be too impressed with these "sport grade" GPS units. Boy, was I wrong! I like the toggle button that allows you to set a waypoint at a point on your digital map without having ever physically been at the waypoint. The unit has a nice blend of functionality, accuracy, reliablility, and size.

model88
12-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Another vote for the Gramin Legend, very user friendly, almost idiot proof.....wait a minute it must be cause I can use it:o :o

wetcoasthunter
03-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Is it worth the extra $$ for the colour display, or is the grey scale good enough?

tuchodi
03-12-2007, 07:28 AM
I find the color screen much easier to see in all kinds of light conditions. I am sure glad I spent the extra for it.

tikka
03-13-2007, 06:37 PM
i baught a magellan gps hand held unit modle 500 in colour and a topo canada map.works awsome and the price was good. $250 from london drugs. works awsome for me and did not cut out in the bush.

wjh131
03-14-2007, 06:26 AM
I've got an explorist 210 and it is very good in the bush and I find it easy to use. $180 at wal-mart. Canucky tire had some garmin units on sale as well.

Mik
07-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Resurrecting an old thread......I was at Wholesale Sports and almost bought the Bushnell "ONIX 200CR" GPS, the salesman talked me out of it as he says its "too new" and Garmin is coming out with a similar product late fall'07/early spring'08 and as Garmin has always made GPS' and is the Leader in GPS technology, he said wait'n'see. I like the layering technology andwould like to know,Does anyone out there own the Bushnell? any ifo/input would be appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

highcountry88
07-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I have the very basic garmin e-trex that I have had for a long time and it has worked ok for getting me out of the bush. Obviously, with trees overhead, the GPS loses its tracking of satellites.

Do any of these higher-end GPS units that you guys have have a significantly higher sensitivity to tracking satellites (than my basic GPS) while there is some trees over head? Or are all GPS units basically the same in this respect and we just need to move out into a clear field?

huntinnewbie
02-12-2010, 11:36 AM
this is a really old thread but I do need some info. After spending a week and a half trying to figure out the Onix 350 by Bushnell it's going back to the store. Doesn't like my Windows Vista at all, lots of software bugs, very difficult to use.
We still ant to get a GPS, (hubby has a morbid fear of getting lost in the bush) so was wondering what is recommended. Would like to keep the cost under $300.
Thanks

Charlie
02-12-2010, 11:49 AM
this is a really old thread but I do need some info. After spending a week and a half trying to figure out the Onix 350 by Bushnell it's going back to the store. Doesn't like my Windows Vista at all, lots of software bugs, very difficult to use.
We still ant to get a GPS, (hubby has a morbid fear of getting lost in the bush) so was wondering what is recommended. Would like to keep the cost under $300.
Thanks

Costco.ca has the 60cx on sale for 249.99 That's a great price for a great GPS unit.

I bought one to replace my etrex Venture Cx (Which is also a great little unit)