PDA

View Full Version : PSE Stingray bow?

dan_plus_o
12-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I went to Peter's Sports today and got a bunch of info. He gave me an estiment $450-$500 to get started.

That was for:
-PSE Nova OC Package (includes; Quiver, sight, rest)
-Release
-6 arrows

I asked a bunch of question about getting my hunting license and what not. Probably spent an hour or more in there.

Anyways.. I can afford to get the PSE Nova and all the other stuff but I would rather not spend that much money on something I might not like down the road. My dad says he will give me one of his rifles (the rifle his dad gave him), so I might end up liking rifle hunting better.

There is a PSE Stingray on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180059872283&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

it is ending soon and only at $162 CAD(Well I guess not that soon. It could go up a lot til tomorrow). I have read a bunch of good stuff about the bow and it also has an IBO of 310 fps (or so the seller claims). Only thing its missing is a sight.

Anyone here know anything about this bow? anyone know if the draw weight is adjustable? What is the maximum I should be bidding on this bow? Whats it worth?

Are PSE bows made in the USA?

I registered at the PSE Forum to ask there, but I can't create topics yet.

magicarrowman
12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
PSE bow are made in the states I do believe. As far as the Stingray.... don't really know anything about it. I'm pretty sure it has an adjustable draw weight as most bows do. Who were you dealing with at Peter's??
(Rick, Kent, Bruce) Did they give you a comfortable feeling in dealing with them? Whether you decide to bow or gun hunt, that's up to you... either way, welcome to the club and enjoy what hunting has to offer. Even if you don't harvest an animal right away, there's alot more to enjoy than just taking game!! Good luck.

dan_plus_o
12-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Seller says the bow has a draw length of 26-30 inches. He isn't sure about the poundage but he says he has it maxed out right now at 70.

It should be able to go to 60.

I mostly talked to rick (Older guy), but there were two other people there (a guy and a gal). It wasn't very busy so they were all talking a little bit but mostly rick.

He didn't want me to pull one of his 60# bows though. He was looking through his bows to find a 50# one I could pull but he only found 60#. I guess he thinks I can't pull 60# or something. Would of been nice to find out.

I found this page about the PSE Stingray.
http://www.thehuntersplace.com/Bows/PSE/pse.html

It says: Draw weights: 50,60,70.
Do you think that means it is adjustable from 50-70 or is it avalible to buy in 50, 60, or 70?

magicarrowman
12-07-2006, 08:09 PM
It usually means the bow is available in a 50 to 60, 60 to 70. I don't think you can adjust the poundage up 20. Most bows areadjustable 10 to 15 pounds.

bochunk2000
12-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Its at 313 cad now. The short axle to axle might be a problem for a beginner. Others here might know better. Dont forget to add around 100 for a sight.

The Hermit
12-07-2006, 08:41 PM
The reason they wanted you to pull a 50 is because that is what beginners should start out with until we learn proper technique and grow into being an accurate shooter. Again, as people have said in other responses to your questions it is best to satrt out wiith a 50 - 60 pound bow... they are easier to learn on and will still kill anything you want to hunt in North America.

magicarrowman
12-07-2006, 08:50 PM
32" isn't too bad (axle to axle) for a beginner. I think my first bow was 34". What you want is more in the brace height, that's where you'll find the bow more forgiving. 7 1/2" is the way to go for you. (in my opinion) Start off shooting at the lowest poundage for a while, then periodically crank it up a couple of pounds each time until you're comfortable drawing that weight.

dan_plus_o
12-07-2006, 09:32 PM
I got outbidded on this bow. My max bid was $268 USD.

I ended up buying a Alpine Frontire shortly after. $232 CAD, $34 USD Shipping. Comes with sight, quiver, and drop away arrow rest.

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160058346313&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006