PDA

View Full Version : so many options...

Tank
09-14-2004, 07:33 AM
please help! i am on the verge of getting back into archery after a long absence and am starting it off with a new bow. i want to make a purchase within a week or so, but the options are overwhelming 8O . ive heard less than perfect reviews of some of the mathews bows, the parker ultra-lite 31 appears to be great but lately a buckmasters bow seems to be a steal due to its much lower price point. I have not shot any of these bows, so if anyone has some experience or some good advice to pass along that would be great. thanx

bochunk2000
09-14-2004, 07:46 AM
I have not heard anything bad about Mathews. The one I shoot is a dream. I have buddies that shoot and the shoot PSE, AR37, and a Hoyt. They all seem to enjoy them. The best I can say is to go do the leg work and find one that fits you the best. They all compare so closely that you need to find a set up that fits you and your wallet. Also if you are comfortable it will increase your accuracy and confidence.

swamper
09-14-2004, 08:36 AM
I have 3 bows that I shoot. An AR34, Highcountry 4 Runner and a Bowtech VFT. They all shoot really well. the AR is my 3-D bow and is set at 60#. They High Country is my hunting set up and I gave the Bowtech to my son and he does 3-D and hunting with it. The best advice I can give is to find a good pro shop and try out as many different bows as possible so that you can find the one that is right for you. All of the major brand name bows on the market today are good. It is just a matter of finding the one that suits you.
Chris H.

puppychow
09-14-2004, 10:49 AM
:D I shoot an AR-37 and have really enjoyed the bow. Check some of the reviews for 2004-2005, there are many good bows out there. Most of the major manufactures have a suitable bow. Find one that fits you. My preference is PSE, AR, and Matthews. Good luck! Puppy.

Tank
09-14-2004, 07:50 PM
thanx for the imput.....i wish archery shops came with a testing range. its tough to find the right bow without shootin'm. i guess i'll keep at it until next week and see which one makes the most sense at the time.

willyqbc
09-15-2004, 09:55 PM
First off, what are you looking for in a bow?? Raw speed, forgiveness, target accuracy??? If you can expand on what characteristics you want the bow to have I'm sure we can be of more help.

PS MATHEWS = $1000 bow, $4 string .....why they would put a crap string on such a good bow is beyond me! :roll:

Chris

Tank
09-18-2004, 07:39 PM
a bows gotta have speed :mrgreen: something at or over the 300 fps mark is definetly a must.....after that its just a matter of balancing all of the other available options with my bank account. since most bows these days are in the 300 fps range i'm really just trying to get the most bang for my buck. i'd rather get more than i pay for than pay for more than i get :wink:

Amphibious
09-18-2004, 07:48 PM
what you need is a nice 55lb recurve, Mmmmm RETRO! :P

willyqbc
09-20-2004, 05:13 PM
For a good quality 300ft/sec bow your gonna pay some decent coin. The shorter your draw length the tougher its going to be to find one that you like that will hit 300. My personal bias leans to the Bowtechs....they are WICKED fast and really shootable. The best all around bow for the buck in their lineup is probably the Extreme VFT. Anything I can do to help get another archer out in the woods, just let me know!

Chris

Tank
09-20-2004, 07:57 PM
i think that i'll have to talk to the boys down at North Country Archery (qeusnel). it might also be the perfect excuse to head south and chase the deer around :wink: thanx again for the good advice!

willyqbc
09-20-2004, 09:04 PM
No problem Tank, You won't be disappointed going to North Country Archery, Murray and Ila will treat you right. Let me know if your coming down and I'll meet ya at the shop for a coffe and some introductions!

Chris

swamper
09-21-2004, 08:31 AM
For sure Tank. If you are coming down this way let Willy and I know. I only live about a mile from the shop, which is a little hard on my wallet. Just let us know when you will be there and we will meet you there. You won't find better people to deal with than Murray and Ila.

Tank
09-21-2004, 01:17 PM
that would be great guys! I'd appreciate the help as well as the chance to meet a couple of fellow HBCer's in my area. I'll probably be heading down in the next week or two.

QnsCowboy
09-30-2004, 12:49 PM
I think I am the last one to shoot with a Browning....But hey, it works for me and the cost was excellent..( I just bought another Browning, a Mirage SX) Like almost everything now a days, there can be a lemon in every batch, from bows to vehicles.....you will know when you pick it up, place it in your hand, feel the balance, look at the price tag, (shit your pants) then find one that price and feel are comfortable, and practice...

Good luck,

Craig

Tank
10-01-2004, 10:10 AM
well after pricing out new tires for the truck, my funds are comming in a bit low. theres enough cash left over for either a new bow or the required accessories, but not both :cry: . That being the case i'm postponing the purchase till the end of the season when things go on sale. This means that for the upcomming doe season in the peace region (a cake walk by anyone's standards, there pretty much domesticated) i'm gonna dust off my old noname p.o.s and try for my first big game archery kill that way. the bow sucks in everyway possible, but it still throws arrows slightly faster than i can. as long as i can close the gap to about 20 yrds (i'll bring an apple) and bring enough arrows i should have a chance. i guess we'll find out next week :wink:

3kills
10-01-2004, 03:49 PM
if it shoots straight right...