PDA

View Full Version : PSE Nova One cam bow?

dan_plus_o
12-05-2006, 09:32 PM
I found this bow package that is in my price range:
http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Archery_Equipment_-_Supplies/Compound_Bows/PSE_Bows/PSE_Nova_OC_Package_RH/Page_1/CBOPSE711628/60.html

Probably going to be around $300-$350 Canadian (depending on taxes).

Does anyone know if it is an american made bow? I don't have to pay duties if it is (buying from states).

What do you guys think about that bow package?? Good for a beginner like me?

Note: that I am going to peter's hunting store tomorrow and hopefully he will help me out with my draw length and bow poundage I can pull. I did a few draw length measure ments myself and I got 30" one time and 29" the other time (Each time I used a different way to measure). Also going to see what the prices are on arrows and releases.

The Hermit
12-05-2006, 10:14 PM
John at Island Outfitters is trying to sell me a PSE Dakota $369... with all the top of the line goddies (sights, bisket, release, 12 arrows with a mix of broadheads/field/rabbit tips, quiver, d-loop, anti noise thingeys, limbsavers, doinker) including taxes $850ish. He says that the bow is one of the easiest to shoot on the market, highly adjustable, and will kill anything in North America. 50 - 60lb draw.

The best part about bying local is that the shop will set it all up for you and get you shooting it with basic training. Its a beginner bow but one that should last for years!

I just signed up for the Vic Bowmen course that starts in January... going to shoot a bunch of bows befor finally deciding on a bow.

dan_plus_o
12-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Is buying bows from the US cheaper? I play guitar and all the guitar gear (amps, pedals, speakers) costs less in the US. I should check with some of the local stores to see how much I can get a PSE nova for.

Anyone know what stores around courtenay sell PSE bows? What about that one in campbell river? Tyree or something like that.

There is also this bow: PSE Nova Extreme
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=BR0BKNFDATUECCWQNWQSCOYK0BW0EI WE?id=0032851416781a&type=product&cmCat=search_redir&QueryTerm=pse%20nova&_requestid=166077

It is on sale for $20 cheper and the sight that comes with that one is better.The IBO is faster on the Nova Extreme too. Does anyone know the difference form the Nova and the Nova Extreme? I am going to get me draw length measured tomorrow and I am going to phone some stores to see if I can buy the same thing locally. If I can't find a good deal locally then I may just buy that PSE Nova Extreme. I just need to know if I should get the 50-60 lbs or 60-70 lbs.

The Hermit
12-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Define cheaper. Getting all the help from a local shop will save time therefore money, and frustration. You will also get the added benefit of warranty service, set up and tune ups as part of the deal... that is worth a lot. Also no shipping, brokerage fees, wait time, possible damage in shipping. So all of that is worth at least an extra hundred bucks, to me anyway.

No I don't own a store.. ha.

mikek blacktail
12-06-2006, 07:52 AM
get a 50 -60 will kill anything that needs killing plenty of power there

swamper
12-06-2006, 09:10 AM
If at all possible, buy local. The shop can help with set up, and future work on the bow. For the few $ you save buying from thel states or online, it's just not worth it. At least at a shop you can handle different bows and find the one that fits you right. If a bow doesn't fit properly you will most likely not shoot as well as you would like and would become frustrated with the sport.

Chris

dan_plus_o
12-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I plan on going to the local hunting store and emailed the store in campbell river (tyree) to see if they sold the PSE Nova or anyone other bow around that price.

50-60 is plenty to kill a deer, but wouldn't a 70 pound bow be better? Because the 70 pound bow would go faster and then the deer can't react as fast. I will go to the local hunting store and maybe they will have a 70 pound bow that I can try pulling (see if I can handle a 70 pound bow).

Kirby
12-06-2006, 12:51 PM
60 pounds is more than enough as to speed it doesn't really work that way. Theory is great, but when you are shooting a 70 pound bow you have to shoot a heavier arrow which in turn causes the arrow to fly slower. As to reaction time, don't worry about it. I've shot plenty of animals and never had one "jump the string" or have any reaction that causes me to miss. Its an overly stated myth. A good shot at a resonable distance, with a relaxed animal and you don't have to worry.

Also, What are your stats? Size? height? weight? don't go to 70 just to go to 70, back in the mid 90's I got into that game and started shooting 80 pounds because thats what everybody shot. Fortunatly I got away without sholder damage, but alot of guys didn't even now there are guys who are shooting too heavy of bows. You gotta remeber you need to be able to draw it smooth, and slow. If you are grunting and cranking to get that bow back you can bet your ass the deer is gonna see you doing it.

Kirby

mikek blacktail
12-06-2006, 12:53 PM
just because you can pull it back doesn't mean you should go with 70# sometimes on game you have to hold the bow at full draw for more than few minutes I"m a big guy and my last bow was 70#s my new one is set at sixty and I can hold it back for ever if need be and the trajetory isn't any differn't than my buddies 70# ,all I'm saying is don't over bow yourself. only you know what your comfortable with.

magicarrowman
12-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Like mikek blacktail had told you, don't over bow yourself. A 60 lb. bow is more than adaquate to kill most big game in north america. I know roger at Tyee in C.River had some PSE bows in there the last time I was in the store. I'm pretty sure they have Nova's and a Bruin in there.

dan_plus_o
12-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Okay I will get a 60 pound bow. I should probably start out at 50 and then when I get good at shooting move it up to 60.

I emailed the hunting store in campbell river (tyee marine) and he has a PSE Nova OC bow package ($359). Not sure what all comes with it though, I am waiting for a reply from them.

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vddh0zOTWws

That deer moved pretty fast and it looks like a pretty close shot.

Kirby
12-06-2006, 02:36 PM
The deer moved fast. But look at it again. When they start playing it in slow motion, pause it, you can watch as the arrow actually moves through the air before the deer reacts. The deer reacts about the same time that the arrow hits. Get the video to pause a 1:38. you can see the deer still without a reaction and the arrow 5' away then at 1:39 as the arrow makes contact the deer starts to react.

Kirby

dan_plus_o
12-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I thought the arrow didn't hit the deer until that noise was made (1:42). Or was that noise just the noise of the arrow hitting a bone or something?

Or the sounds could just be off. I have seen a lot of youtube videos with the sound off from the video. It does look like it hit the deer sooner. Like what you said, around 1:39

Kirby
12-06-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't have sound on the computers at University. I'll check it when i get home. But it could be sound off the sholder. The shot looks like it clipped the front sholder blade, and that makes one hell of a thump.

Kirby

dan_plus_o
12-06-2006, 09:27 PM
I just found another video of a really fast deer.

http://www.break.com/index/deer_from_the_matrix.html