PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail Jerky

Beer
12-04-2006, 11:15 PM
This weekend I'm going to smoke some jerky in the Bradley smoker. Has anyone else here done this and does anyone have any opinions on brines or marinades or anything else? I'll be using hickory flavoured pucks.

beeker
12-04-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm a big fan of the applewood for jerky

3kills
12-05-2006, 10:24 AM
what kinda jerky u makin?? realy jerky or formed jerky?

Elkhound
12-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Just made some this weekend too.

Went to london drugs and bought the premixed spices to make jerky. It will be with the food dehydrators or close to it. I like the hot and spicy one the best. And very easy to make.

Beer
12-06-2006, 06:43 PM
[quote=3kills]what kinda jerky u makin?? realy jerky or formed jerky?[/q

I cut the roasts off a blacktail and ran it through a meat slicer about a quarter inch thick.

Nooker77
01-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I use the pre packaged stuff as well...black pepper mix is really good.....applewood is AWESOME..I use alder and hickory as well...walmart has a good choice of spices and chips!! Has anyone used the jerkey "GUN" for ground meat?? I've been playing with the ground deer jerkey but it takes some effort to get it rolled and put on the racks...I use older window screen to help hold it in place!! Try adding some honey to your brine as well...very nice!!!

Elkhound
01-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I find the jerky gun very easy to use

Mr. Dean
01-11-2007, 03:07 AM
Marinades are simple to whip AND you can make it to suit your taste buds.

chola
01-17-2007, 07:37 AM
My cousin used the High Mountain Jerky mix (Can Tire or Wal Mart)......mixed up the cure according to the weight of the meat....smoked it with 2 pans of apple chips over 6 hours and then left it for 4 more hours to dry up...time may differ as this was done in -5 temperatures in his shop..turned out fantastic...the smoker was the Little Chief version

johnes50
01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I used the "Eastman Outdoors" original jerky mix from Wally World and made a about 4lbs. of dried jerky on the weekend. I added a little cayenne powder and some maple syrup and let it set for a day in the fridge. Then I did it in the oven at 200 degrees with the door cracked open for about 4 hours.

It tasted great while it lasted, cause my son left it on the kitchen table and my dog ate the whole works. I'm still mad at my dog and he knows what he's done and is avoiding even looking at me. My sons mad at himself cause he loves homemade jerky and he asked me to make it. John

dawn2dusk
01-17-2007, 12:50 PM
that funny about the dog eating the jerky.....I bet he liked.

Chuck
01-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Good story Johnes50! At least nobody was hurt in the "accident"! And the dog was very happy for a short time. I can see it now. Couple of years ago, my brother who is a shift-working bachelor decided he'd do up a big turkey for Thanksgiving and invite a few beer-drinking buddies over for a nice autumn day BS session and sit-around. Well, he got up bright and early and spent a lot of time and fussing over this bird and in the oven it goes! I stopped by to visit, and everything was going just great. He was very excited how it was going to be such a nice afternoon. I went home. Next day I phoned him to find out how his party turned out. I never heard a grown man cry like that before or since. He said that not long after I left, the bird was done real nice, so he picked up the whole roaster pan, lid and all and set it on a wooden chair outside the back porch to cool. Shortly, while cleaning up at the sink, he heard the roaster pan lid hit the concrete pad. He dashes out the door (about 15' distance) and just in time to see a black bear headed up into the bush with the pan, bird and all, except the lid. He took off after it screaming and shouting. He never caught up to it, and never found the pan again either. A little later the guests started to arrive. He spent over $100 on Chinese take-out for the gang, and took almost a week to get over it. Got a new roaster pan eventually - now it has two lids. And DON'T talk turkey to him!