PDA

View Full Version : GPS - Does an electronic compass really matter?

5/10/85
12-03-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm noticing that the more expensive GPSs have an electronic compass and altimeter on them - since I've never used a GPS - does this feature really matter? I've heard the ForeTrex is good 'cause it's small...but should I really demand on having other features?

Hunter4life
12-03-2006, 10:25 PM
The eletronic compass is just a gimmic in my opinion. Just have a real compass handy and use the bearing off of the gps. At least thats how "sukram" and i do it. Or just take ten steps and it should be pointing in the right direction after that. All you really need is one that gives proper co-ordinates and bearings, altimeter is nice when you try to get better estimate of where you are on a topo map.

h4l

brotherjack
12-03-2006, 10:37 PM
What Hunter4life said. You should be carying a real compass anyway, even if only as a last ditch backup method to get your butt back to civilization in the event you loose/break/etc your GPS while deep in the bush.

(though that's easy to say, I do admit, I have had several frustrating moments in the bush when I have wished my GPS had an electronic compass, because that stupid arrow doesn't always point the direction you're actually going once you get into a marginal area for GPS based navigation (which is every tree covered valley in BC)).

Hunter4life
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
(though that's easy to say, I do admit, I have had several frustrating moments in the bush when I have wished my GPS had an electronic compass, because that stupid arrow doesn't always point the direction you're actually going once you get into a marginal area for GPS based navigation (which is every tree covered valley in BC)).

Attach a compass to the lanyard of your gps. Make sure you can have the compass far enough away from the gps that the batteries don't mess up the way your needle points. Once the gps finds you and you have a bearing just use your real compass and forget about the "compass" on your gps. I wouldn't trust an eletronic compass anyways.

Just make sure you have one that gives accurate co-ordinates and test it out in different terrain. My dad got one that works like a charm when you are in the wide open alpine but it seems once you have trees within 50 meters of you it is a 100m off.

Ubertuber
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
The cheapest garmin is all you need (yellow one). It'll tell your altitude, which direction to go to or from your waypoints, sunrise and sunset at your location, distance traveled for your trip, bearing, speed, maximum speed, average speed, and time of day. Anything more are add-ons that you don't really need IMO. You can download maps and such on a bit more pricy units, but you sure don't "need" it. Buy an inexpensive one and use the saved money for a good compass.
As others have said, always have a compass with you and know how to use it.

boxhitch
12-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Equally as important is the best topomap available, to go along with gps/compass and the ability to route-find. Basic 'map & compass' skills are a 'need to know' just like fire starting.

Phil
12-04-2006, 12:56 PM
My GPS has a compass and I carry a spare compass. My spare never comes out. The GPS compass can take a few seconds to position but it is great to have. I always carry spare batteries for it too. I think the altimeter is an essential feature to have as well. If you are still looking to buy one, try to find one that is waterproof and that floats.

brotherjack
12-04-2006, 03:50 PM
If you go a few extra bucks, you can get some quite nice topo map's (Garmin Topo Canada) right on the GPS. I am glad I spent the extra few bucks for a model that I can download maps to.