PDA

View Full Version : Newby

MountainMan#1
11-14-2012, 06:25 PM
I am new to "waterfowl hunting" and would love to get into it more and pursure it further on. I went out with a friend on waterfowl days as I am 16 and had an absolute blast. What could you recommend to a rookie waterfowler to get started. I have 1 double reed duck call also. In your opinion what is the standard setup for ducks and geese? If you could help that would be great.

Beard
11-14-2012, 07:23 PM
well it depends where you want to hunt. First I assume you have your licenses. Second if you are in marshy areas I find waders and a warm/ waterproof jacket nice. Some fields might not need them but 5mm neoprene is sure nice in December/ Jan. After you have taken care of that, and a shotgun that fits you, blinds and decoys. This really depends on where you want to hunt field/ water?

MountainMan#1
11-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Mainly water. swamps, marshes, sloughs etc.. I have waders already from fishing, got a shotgun just more focused towards amount of dekes to put out, how to, dekes to buy, calls etc..

Nickchee
11-15-2012, 01:11 AM
I paid under 80 bucks for a dozen final approach mallards, j-hook weights, decoy line and mesh bag.
Use the Internet to find what's on sale but the best first step after gun and waders is 12 mallards dekes.
Most ducks will decoy into a mallard spread.