PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting help

Shop Lord
12-03-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm sure all of this has been discussed before but I need some advice. I grew up bowhunting back east but switched over to rifles about 10 years ago. I've hunted with recurves, compounds and crossbows but hunting is alot different in the west. I would like to get back into bowhunting as nothing can beat that rush. I'm going down to Van to purchase a new bow, which shop should I go to? Do most guys hunt from treestands, groundblinds or stillhunt? I'm thinking Mattews or Hoyt - can anyone suggest which make and model they prefer? I know you need to go by 'feel' but any info would help as there are so many good bows out there nowadays.
Thanks, Rob.

kishman
12-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Hub Sports in Abbotsford carries lots of bows in stock. I don't know anything about bows but I've seen those brands there. Hope this helps.

5/10/85
12-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Big game archery in abbotsford (out of some guy's basement) usually has good deals. Hub sports in abbotsford is also good (I go there, but I know the guys and it's close). Boorman's in New West is the biggest probably (and most selection), and they're nice guys and have some bows on consignment so some deals to be had there as well. I got my first (and only bow) there.

As for names, those are good ones, but I'm not one to put too much stock in names (partly 'cause I can't afford it). Find a bow and learn how it shoots, and you should be fine. Most of them out there will do just fine.

I can't hunt from a stand - I'd go crazy - and it costs more. I don't use a blind either - I stalk. It's been pretty successful for me the last few years - just got to know where the deer / game is.

Hope all that helps. You're right, no other hunting beats taking an animal with a bow (unless you're my brother who says that a spear would be cooler :) ). Good luck

bsa30-06
12-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Boormans in new west is good, bought my bow there friendly, helpfull staff aswell.

magicarrowman
12-04-2006, 05:28 PM
I was just in Hub sports yesterday. I saw alot of Bowtechs, Archery Research, some Hoyts and Brownings. I'm really picky where I do my business and these guys have some really good stuff and the bow guys seem to know their sh#t.( I used to work in a sporting goods store when I lived on the Island ) Check them out when you're coming through.