PDA

View Full Version : Strange day.....

kishman
12-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Well I went out for some Duck down at Boudary Bay yeterday, not much to report in the way of Ducks but I did have a strange "run in". On the walk back to the car I notied about 20 or so empty shells in one area on the dyke. Walking a little further along I picked up another 8 or 10 empties, and also spotted some blood and feathers on the snow.
It all looked like it had been there for a day or so, I never heard or saw anyone shooting on the Dyke yesterday morning. So I gathered up all the empties and kicked the bloody/feathery snow into the bush and left. When I get back to my car I notice someone had written "no shooting on the dyke" in the dirt of my rear windshield. Kinda unnerving, I looked around and saw nobody. Is this the norm at Boundary Bay? I'm new to this spot and I really don't want to hang around if this crap is going on all the time. Think I'll try the 104th side.

Jimbo
12-03-2006, 12:10 PM
I heard reports that on opening day a few peple in kayaks were drifting through decoy spreads in Ladner marsh just to be disruptive !! It would take a world of patience to ignore that kind of provocation. You've got to have thick skin to hunt in the lower mainland.

palmer
12-04-2006, 12:24 AM
I hunted there lots and never had a problem. The only thing you can't do is hunt on the dykes...you must walk into the marsh...maybe someone thought you had been hunting from the dykes...sometimes we pay for the bonehead that comes before us. I have seen guys standing on the dykes and shooting towards the water...a full no no. Go back and have fun and kill some ducks..
palmer

craigchaplin
12-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Thats definately weird.......but probably just some hippies. Wouldn't worry too much.....although its definately the reason i bought a boat sos i could go hunting where i didn't have to deal with crap like that.
Never seen those kayakers though....that would be annoying but were they trying to disrupt hunters or just had no clue?!

Jimbo
12-05-2006, 11:57 PM
As I heard it, they knew what they were doing and tried to provoke a confrontation. The hunters involved kept their cool. Don't ask me how.

bogman
12-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I heard reports that on opening day a few peple in kayaks were drifting through decoy spreads in Ladner marsh just to be disruptive !! It would take a world of patience to ignore that kind of provocation. You've got to have thick skin to hunt in the lower mainland.

Its a fairly common occurance in the marsh. I am really glad I moved.

MichelD
12-06-2006, 06:38 PM
We met kayakers out in the Ladner marsh in the February snow goose season who were supportive.

But Geez, shooting on the Boundary Bay dyke?

That kind of behaviour just adds fuel to the argument that anyone might want to make that hunting in the Bay should be stopped.

And if we see guys doing it, we should try to diplomatically remind them that it is illegal.

craigchaplin
12-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Its a fairly common occurance in the marsh. I am really glad I moved.

Not a biggie to me........my dog would probably swim out to em and end up capsizing them i'm sure. He loves people......sometimes to their dismay.

4ptbuck
12-07-2006, 08:20 AM
I've seem numerous kayakers out in the Ladner marsh. Never had troubles with any. Typically they gave me a wide berth, and when they couldn't, did not waste any time paddling by.

gary mok
12-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Just follow the rule,DO NOT DO SOMETHING WRONG OR ILLEGAL then no one can challenge to us even cop or co,let's keep hunting and have a good time!!! by the way I am going to be there tomorrow for duck hunt.