PDA

View Full Version : Ever think waterfowlers are in the minority around here?

Ian F.
12-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I aksed Marc if he could find a more "ducky" camo for the folks in these parts and he came through in shining colours!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=104023&posted=1#post104023

Time to step up to the plate boys and cover up those lids so the ducks and geese can't see us, and the others on the page can when we are heading out at O'dark 30 in pursuit of feathers and webbed feet..

Very best,

Ian

Bow Walker
12-02-2006, 10:12 AM
No they aren't in the minority - its just that they're sooo shy.:lol:

farmboy
12-02-2006, 10:40 AM
I guess I am one of minority Waterfowl hunters on this forum and Huntshoot com. I do go out and shoot Mallards once while and I found it no challenge or other words intriguing for me. I usually can get my limits of mallards in 45 minutes or get the limit of 8 Greenies in 1 1/2 hours. I always have pintails, gadwalls, widgeons, teals and occasionally, spoonie or shoveller ducks landed among my decoys.

I do get alittle excited about shooting Canada geese and I was lucky last time to get my limit of 5 Canadas before the big snow storm (Nov.23)

I realized most of you guys have to drive great distance to do some duck hunting but for me it just hopping on the frontend loader John Deere tractor filled with decoys and I just drive to my area where I going to setting up my deocys.

Over the past years I do always go snow goose hunting at Westlham Island out in the salt marshes. Its pretty easy to get those single dumb snow goose coming into our decoys.

But this season I didnot go out. I hated lying on duck punt and salt water is hard on my Beretta Xtrema shotgun.

I have to say, I love Big Game hunting more than Waterfowl hunting. More of challenge and I always, love the hike of going up the ridges or scanning the clearcuts or cutblocks for Games.

P.S I did get my limit of meat bucks and proud that I got 3x4 Q.C. Is. Sitka Blacktail buck with my new Sako 243win. this past Oct./Nov. hunt.

craigchaplin
12-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Most of the huntingi do is migratory bird.....very rarely get a chance to take off enough time to go big game hunting and although i do enjoy both i way prefer duck hunting. I guess cause its peaceful.......kinda like fishing which i also spend alot of time in the spring/summer doin. Also i love to watch my dog work. Spent alot of time training him and its very satisfying to see the hard work pay off.
Farmboy......thats why i don't spend alot of money on shotguns....my remington 870 works as well as any gun in the field and don't have to worry about gettin it wet and or dirty.
As they say "to each his own"

Ian F.
12-03-2006, 12:51 PM
The intent of this post, was in a fun/joking way, to bring attention to the Wetlands HBC hats that Marc has made available. One person keeps this site going, and the hats are a win:win way to give some support so we have a place to shoot BS, meet folks and share a common interest.

Farmboys post has bugged me since I first read it. Was your intent to brag? Or was your intent to disrespect all those who choose waterfowling as their primary hunting enjoyment?

What makes a great hunter, no matter the species, is adaptability, change the location or the species and most have issues filling the bag, the great hunters have put in the time to change the odds through understanding habitat and the species and a mulitude of other factors to consistantly do well day in day out.

Very best,

Ian

P.S. Your Beretta Extrema is near indistructable with a plastic stock, plastic coated barrel (camo) and chrome lined barrels, in fact the only parts you need to be concerned about are the trigger mechanism and recoil spring which outside of a dunking are a non-issue, there's a little more knowledge for you..

farmboy
12-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Hey Ian F. I am not sure why you are saying I am bragging and have disrepect for those who choose waterfowling as primary source of hunting. Did I say have desrepect for waterfowlers? How often do I posts about the limits or amount of ducks or geese I shoot every time I go out? If I did posted stories or have photos of the amounts of ducks and geese I shoot on Huntingbc or Huntshoot then I will consider myself a bragging.

Yes I do have advantages over lots of Waterfowler hunters in close area to shoot and I do'nt always decoy hunt and I do lots of walking along ditches and river jump shooting. In my younger days, I used to travel to Delta, Westlham Island , Boundary Bay and Surrey's Mud Bay foreshores to shoot ducks and geese (Black Brants too) even I have back yards to shoot from. I just wanted to check out new areas or have opportunely to shoot the rare Brants years ago.

I am not sure how long you being shooting Waterfowls but I can say I have being shooting ducks, geese and phesants for 36 years. I would say it does get little boring( lack of enthusiasm) after that many years of shooting for me once awhile.

Reason why I used the loader tractor to drive out there to setup decoys is I have injury my back years ago.

I also meet lots new friends(members) on Huntshoot and Huntingbc who I have pleasure to invited them over to shoot ducks and geese on my farms. My comments are from these these newly acquaintance friends " you are very nice guy" or "you are very good duck caller" or "very unselffish in letting us shoot first" etc. yes it is bragging but in friendship way!!!!!!
Yes, there are less people hunting ducks now then back in the 1970's and I do feel we are minority hunters compared to Big Game hunting. But, over years I have pleasure of introducing new (non-hunting) friends to sport of shotgunning....shooting clays first then, duck hunting. I wanted to keep this Waterfowl hunting tradition alive.

Furthermore, I appreciation you letting me know about your knowledge in the Beretta Extrema shotgun. I did used my Beretta once when it was new out in salt marshes and I didnot like the little rusts appearing on the outside(non-camo) barrel.

The out times when I was salt marshes hunting I was using either my 1980 Remmington 870 Wingmaster 12ga. or my 1995 Remmington Peerless 12ga.

Its people like you either being jealous or think I am liar or my bragging that scare me from contribute regularly to these forum posts.

I realized that everybody does have their opinions and I do respect that.

Ian F.
12-04-2006, 07:11 AM
Farmboy,

Go re-read your original post, and then re-read it again. What does it say? What does it say in the context of a post trying to get folks to support this site?

Here's what it says to me, Ducks are boring, I shoot them when I feel like it. Ducks are easy, I have access in my backyard to shoot all I want whereas most of you have to travel to get what I have.

Now the original follow up question still remains, just what was your intent in posting this, in THIS THREAD? Are you going to buy a hat or not?

If you had made the same post as it's own thread, I wouldn't have said a word, then again I probably wouldn't have replied either. You see the internet strips us of the non-verbal side of speach, and in this case, a response such as yours, to a post trying to get folks to buy hats caused the words from me it did.

Very best,

Ian

PS. This is my 22nd year waterfowling FYI, and that means hunting from opener to closer and carving decoys, building duckboats and shooting clay from closer to opener.

farmboy
12-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey Ian F.

You quota as saying to me" Now the original follow up questions still remains, just what was your intent in posting this, in THIS THREAD? Are you going to buy a hat or not?
Well, for your information I just recent received my Wetland Baseball cap style hat from HBC with the name Farmboy on the back from HBC member(friend) as belated birthday present. Now are you satisfy?????

I do support this site and I think Marc is doing excellent job.

Yes, I realized my mistake interpretation of your title and I should post the reply as new thread title instead.

Furthermore, I would not have contuine replying to this same topic but since you say"Was your intent to disrepect all those who choose waterfowling as their enjoyment?" I like to repeated this I donot disrepected or have prejudice against any waterfowl hunters and I am doing my parts in promoting it more. The comments you made was quite offensive to me.:mad:

Bow Walker
12-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Ok boys............enough said. Let it go and carry on. OK?

Mother
12-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Ok

Enough is enough. Wear your HBC hats and go shoot some ducks with good old Canadian pride because we can't let all the Yanks eat our birds. Ha!

MichelD
12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I guess we're still in the minority, but I'm working on encouraging my big game hunting friends to take it up. One got a retreiver and a new shotgun this year, and the other keeps saying he'd like to get out.

I'm still trying to figure out why it took me so long to get into it. It's only in the last two years I've gotten serious about it, checking the tides every week and watching the weather for the best conditons, meeting other bird hunters and gathering the eqipment, learning about calling, etc. etc..

I was intimidated by that Fraser Valley Special Regulations map I think.

NEEHAMA
12-04-2006, 12:50 PM
hey, after the Big Game Season, what else is there to hunt? you got to hunt and fish year-round. so dec,jan ducks are going to get it! after that small break then feb/mar the geese are in trouble, after that fishinging rod comes out and no trout is safe, may rolls around and salmon in the fraser start to get bonked, end of the salmon season late aug then the moose in the north contry are feeling the pressures of my annual visits.

HUNT AND FISH 12 MONTHS IF YOU CAN. oh ya and don't forget to put up the christmas lights!

Marc
12-04-2006, 01:05 PM
OK this thread got hijacked big time, :lol: but at least we're still on the subject of duck hunting.

I still have some hats available, especially suited to the duckhunting fanatics, check em out if your interestred.:cool:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8825

zaconb
12-11-2006, 01:25 PM
P.S. Your Beretta Extrema is near indistructable with a plastic stock, plastic coated barrel (camo) and chrome lined barrels, in fact the only parts you need to be concerned about are the trigger mechanism and recoil spring which outside of a dunking are a non-issue, there's a little more knowledge for you..
Posted by Ian F.

Ian you're a wise man... my gunsmith gave me quite a tounge lashing for using my xtrema as a paddle!! It's tough on the trigger:lol: