PDA

View Full Version : First new rifle........

kishman
12-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Well it's an early Christmas for kishman. I just ordered my first brand new rifle. It'll be the first rifle that I've owned that isn't older than me (thats getting harder to do by the way:oops:) I've got a BLR lightwieght w/pistol grip in .270wsm coming in the mail. I know there's not very many lever fans on this site, but I've wanted one for a long time, my uncle had one when I was a kid, bla....bla...bla... :lol: . I do have a question about break in, whats the best method for breaking in a new barrel? I'd hate to mess it up right out of the box...thanks all for any replys'.

rocksteady
12-01-2006, 02:04 PM
If you go to Savage Arms, there is a link to how to properly break in a barrel, according to Precision Shooters...Here is the link

http://www.savagearms.com/cs_barrel.htm

I, personally did not go to such great lengths when I broke mine in....

todbartell
12-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I used to break in barrels by cleaning between shots etc etc blah blah

now I just shoot em 8-)

Kechika
12-01-2006, 02:08 PM
I used to break in barrels by cleaning between shots etc etc blah blah

now I just shoot em 8-)

What he said

Blacktail
12-01-2006, 02:34 PM
here's how...........

Buy 4 boxes of ammo..............

Go to the range.....................

Fire them all off.....................:eek:

Clean between boxes of ammo..

Go home and rest....................:shock:

You will be broken in.............:mrgreen::rolleyes:

ruger#1
01-06-2007, 11:36 PM
i like the blah blah blah part. ive never thought of breaking in a barrel . all the rifles i have bought ive sighted them in and went hunting afterwards. that why i like the blah blah blah.

Gateholio
01-07-2007, 02:31 AM
"Breaking in" a barrel is ghey.

I have done it. And not done it. Same results...

hoochie
01-07-2007, 07:33 AM
I would just clean it once before you shoot it. Get any residual factory mess out of the barrel. Dont worry about it though. I have followed the steps, then not followed the steps on the next rifle. The only time I have noticed any difference was with my last rifle ( chrome lined barrel).. and it seemed to get tighter after 100 shots or so, but then again it could have just been me getting used to the gun.

YoungGun
01-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Shoot out of it 10 times. Clean it. Sight it in! Then all the acuracy comes from getting used to the gun!