PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever ......................

bone-collector
09-08-2004, 11:06 AM
chopped up a good knife to suit there liking or needs? :lol:

I just recieved a old timer #1580T I did a trade for, low and behold it has a guthook on it...well seeing i realy like the curviture of the blade but have been known to despise gut hooks I dug out the dremmel and felt pens , now its a fine straight curved blade with an actual point on it ...just curious if its just me or do you guys modify things to your needs and wants for hunting ?

3kills
09-09-2004, 03:15 AM
i got a new knife last year for xmas and it has a gut hook on it and i dont know if i am giong to like it or not and was deciding to on grinding that hook off...but dont know if i wanna as it is a brand new knife...

bone-collector
09-09-2004, 04:10 AM
I found them a pain in my butt but thats me, some guys swear by them, I am not gutting a moose to look cute or win a prize I want the guts out now and be gone with it :lol:

3kills
09-09-2004, 08:23 AM
well thats how i feel about it too...my big worry is when cutting around the ass is it going to snag on grab or what???!!!

Seabass
09-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Had a Gerber gator, (found it at work) and liked it and all except for the half serated half non serated. real bitch to sharpen so I just got the guy who does knives in town to remove the serated half so it was all "normal" and I was able to sharpen it!!

3kills
09-10-2004, 03:19 AM
thats something like i got its a gerber something not serated though...

Kirby
10-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Make it how you want it, I think the only thing I hunt with that I haven't customized in someways is my dads gear, and most of that has been changed too.

Kirby

Mulie_Hunter
10-25-2004, 10:46 AM
I find the gut hooks work great for skinning but not for gutting.I've got one of those game skinners with a gut hook on it. As for gutting I just use my old buck 110 and an EZE lap diamond stone. It's the wining combo!

sawmill
02-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I have an Oldtimer guthook and it`s great for doing the legs and opening up the belly.Iv`e used it for years,just use a chainsaw file to sharpen the hook,I`d buy another for sure.

Farmer
02-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Unfortunately Shrade,the maker of the Oldtimer knives has been recently sold and from what I have heard they are no longer available. Too bad, they made good knives. I had an 8OT that I broke the blade pin on after years of rough use. I sent it back to be repaired and they sent me a new knife no charge.

Gord

rrfred
02-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi could not be bothered wth a gut hook, wanna know a cheap but effective trick for unzipping the big stuff?, 2 for a buck snap off blades. push out a click or two, unzips the animal but not deep enough to hit the guts, then use it for disconnecting the internal stuff when there is not much room. i keep one in my pack all the time...safe easy cheap and i save my knife til the guts are out. later rrfred

Rod
02-05-2005, 12:51 PM
I have reshaped a couple of knives in the past due to damage such as broken tips and the latest Lee Valley catalog had some stainless steel knife blades for under $5.00 each. I picked up 3 and proceeded to grind and reshape (lot's of elbow grease and a bucket of cooling water close by). I am pretty happy with the end result a small caping knife that seems to hold an edge very well.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/201caping_knife-thumb.jpg

zedex
03-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I bought a brand new SOG called the "field knife" online. It was supposed to have been designed buy some super hunter designer. When i got it , it occured to me the knife was too big. I tried to return it but since it was a factory blemish knife it was non returnable.Since the blade was contoured i couldnt grind the end of the blade . I had to cut the knife in half just behind the handle, take an inch off the non pointy end of the blade and weld the two pieces back together. The weld is hidden by the handle. The knife is usable now and you would never know i modified it. The blade was kept cool with a wet rag while i welded it.

Now that i look at the SOG website. The knife is no longer offered. Hmmmm.

Red Foreman
03-24-2005, 08:46 PM
I got an Oldtimer 6-0T for Christmas looks real nice.I've made a few knives at work using high speed steel,you can really put a nice edge on them.

blindbob
05-25-2005, 08:21 PM
I find gut hooks good for opening envelopes but not for gutting.They have always seemed like a gimmick. I ground a knife I got last year for Christmas also.I wanted a big curve on the the front and not the point it had. It works much better know.

3kills
05-26-2005, 04:16 AM
i have a gut hook on my knife and its the first knifed i have owned with on and its slicker then slick...works great for openin up bears and skinnin the legs of a deer out...

willyqbc
05-26-2005, 08:03 AM
i'll echo some others here, i use mine for opening up legs while skinning but not during gutting.

Chris