PDA

View Full Version : Wwwabbits without a dog?

Jager
11-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Okay....the freezer is full of moose (no room for a deer) and I still have an itch that needs scratching ( I just didn't get enough time in the field). I'd like to get out and try and get a couple of cottontails and would like some guidance. I went for a walk the other day in the snow (about 14") and saw numerous tracks in an area that has scotch broom, 2nd growth fir, and some wetland with willows, alder, etc.. The problem was I saw no bunnies. I was out and about from 9 -11AM. I kept scanning all the dark holes and openings that presented themselves in the snow as I was expecting someone to be hiding in these spots - but I was unsuccessful.

So does anyone have any tips for me?

Ian F.
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
If they are true cottontails, you must beat the brush, I mean the thickest nastiest stuff, get in and stomp on it, kick it do whatever to shake it up and hang on they are like flushed grouse on the ground!

I used to hunt them every christmas near London Ontario and they are fast, fun action and taste great! Light loads in shotguns are you best option.
Very best,

Ian

Will
11-30-2006, 08:48 PM
I have the Best success walking old roads in Good areas(lots of tracks) like you described the last hour just before sundown ;)

Never see too many in the Mornings or during the day:-|

The Hermit
11-30-2006, 09:07 PM
We way we used to hunt jacks in Ontario was to walk the snowy fence lines... damned fast critters LOL lots of fun!

mark
11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
We gotem running all over town here in kelowna, fill yer boots!

Barracuda
11-30-2006, 10:30 PM
I have a slow spanial that is good on bunnies , but if you want to hunt them without a dog get yourself a whistle (one without a pea) . beat the bush and or follow tracks, once you flush them blow that whistle and most ill freeze for a few seconds . A good .22 rimfire repeater or a 12 bore shotgun will put them in the pot for you.

wetcoaster
12-01-2006, 01:12 PM
I have a slow spanial that is good on bunnies , but if you want to hunt them without a dog get yourself a whistle (one without a pea) . beat the bush and or follow tracks, once you flush them blow that whistle and most ill freeze for a few seconds . A good .22 rimfire repeater or a 12 bore shotgun will put them in the pot for you.

I'll have to try the whistle trick, makes sense. Thanks, I have a hell of a time with them as well.