PDA

View Full Version : whisker biscuit or fall away

Browningmirage
11-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Some questions regarding which one is better

Which rest is your favorite, and which one is most likely to be more accurate. I have a whisker biscuit now, and have heard some stories that they arent that good. I would like to keep the whisker biscuit, but if accuracy will improve, i would go out and buy the fall away, it would just take some time (university student). Should i start saving or stick with the whisker biscuit
Oh and the classic fletching falling off has been happening as well

mikek blacktail
11-28-2006, 01:48 PM
my buddy and me both used wisker bisquits I changed becuase I wasn't getting great accuracy out of it I use a ripcord now but I would suggest a trophy taker rest they are super accurate my ripcord isn,t to shabby either but if I could go back i'de buy a throphy taker ,my buddy still uses his wisker bisuit and has no problems.that's my 2cents

dave_fras
11-28-2006, 02:20 PM
i use to shoot a wisker..... and i changed to a fall away rest.... wayyy more accurate..... well in my mind they r.. i also heard the wisker and shoot real feathers that well

bsa30-06
11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
I use a whisker biscuit, and they are accurate enough for me if i do my part.Use a little dab of glue on the end of the fletching to prevent it from coming off this is what i do and have never had any come off.Having said that if i were going to be shooting in highly competive tourney's i would probably use a rest with less arrow contact.

Bow Walker
11-28-2006, 07:05 PM
This is just my opinion but.............
I believe that the less contact between the arrow and the arrow rest - the better the arrow will fly, providing that you do your part as bsa30-06 has said.

I use an APA Safari Twister, it provides total containment of the arrow while also getting out of the way (fall away style) when the shot is taken. I found it super easy to set up and tune. You can see them at http://apaarchery.com

Each to his own though. I have heard of guys who will not switch from their "biscuits" - they are primarily hunters though. Target archers tend to use drop aways, the teflon fork type, or the spring steel type of rests.

As I said - each to his own.

As to your problem with the fletching/feathers coming loose....put a drop of glue at the front end of your vane/feather this will solve that problem. In fact, put a drop at the back end as well.

pupper
11-28-2006, 07:15 PM
biscuit is great for hunting due to its simplicity there is really nothing that can go wrong in the field, plus you solve the problem of having your arrow fall of the rest when you draw back on that pope and young mule deer youve been chasing your whole life. The chronographed results show no difference in speed. A biscuit also holds the arrow better on slanted or angled shots.

but I think for a beginer a fall away is easier to be accurate with.

so I choose biscuit

Browningmirage
11-29-2006, 01:44 PM
So if i am hunting, it is not a bad idea to use a whisker biscuit, but if i want more accuracy i should go with the fall away? Which one is better to learn with

Ubertuber
11-29-2006, 04:24 PM
I use a biscuit, but all i do is hunt (not into target and 3D shoots). My bow shoots just as good with the B as it did with a fall away.

bsa30-06
11-29-2006, 04:33 PM
So if i am hunting, it is not a bad idea to use a whisker biscuit, but if i want more accuracy i should go with the fall away? Which one is better to learn with

I learned with my whisker biscuit and really like it.I also spent alot of time not worrying about being real acurate at first, and just concentrated on proper forum.Once i had proper forum accuracy came naturally.I'm not saying i'm the most acurate guy out there but i met my self imposed limits for acurracy and feel completely comfortable in my ability to take an animal given the chance and thats all that anybody can ask out of a beginner.So if your comfortable using your whisker biscuit then thats what you should use.Just my opinion and some of the more experienced guys may have different advice.

willyqbc
11-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Well I'll throw in my two cents on arrow rests.....

Bisquit - the ONLY advantage to the bisquit is the silent containment of the arrow and the certainty that your arrow will not "clatter" off the rest as you draw on an animal. It is certainly adequate accuracy wise for hunting purposes but it is not going to be a tack driver.

Drop away- the great advantage of the drop away is in providing arrow clearance...especially in high speed bows with light arrows. With the speed and energy todays bows are generating the rate of spin of the arrow coming off the string often makes it very difficult if not impossible to get the fletches through a conventional 2 prong rest without having fletch contact. These rests will also minimize some of the archers common mistakes such as torqueing the bow etc...it will not eliminate the effects but it will minimize them. It will also minimize the effects a poorly tuned bow will have on the arrows flight.

Fixed lizard tongue - properly tuned and in the hands of a strong technical shooter this will generally be the most accurate rest available. It provides a constant point of contact to direct the arrow thoruout the shot with minimal surface contact with the arrow shaft. This type of rest should be shot with a loop tied to create a slight down pressure insuring consistant contact and pressure from shot to shot. This rest is most often seen in paper shooting (FITA) where speed is not a concern and arrows are generally VERY heavy and bow poundage tends to be quite light.

For an all-purpose rest for the hunter and casual target shooter I would reccomend the Trophy Taker Shaky Hunter. Its wide containment arms are almost impossible to lose an arrow off of while drawing. With a little felt applied in the right spots it is virtually silent. Also it is a very simple sturdy design...very little to go wrong on this rest.

As always...just my opinion
Chris

magicarrowman
11-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Well, here's my 2 cent. I shoot with a Whisker Biscuit and don't have any problems. My groupings are good, but i think that it's attributed to my shooting more so than my rest. I don't shoot in tournaments, so all the advice I can give you is directed towards a hunting perspective. The thing that is great about them, is that the arrow dosen't fall off!!! Whether its sitting in a treestand/ground blind, or stalking though the bush( this is where I like it the most ), your arrow is right there. You can virtually shake your bow around,turn it sideways or upside down,and the arrows right there ready to be drawn. Its VERY quiet when draw your bow back, and if you're worried about arrow speed loss, its only a couple of feet per second so it really shouldn't matter. If the loss of speed worries you, you can spray "Armour All" on your fletches.( it dries odourless!!! ) This way, you shouldn't loose any speed. Now don't get me wrong, its not like I'm against a "drop away". I've entertained the idea of switching to a drop away rest, just because of the "accuracy" debate a few times. I'll probably get one just to see if they measure up to all the hype. ( I still think it has waaaay more to do with the shooter!! ) If my groupings are the same, then it just proves my previous sentence. To each, his or her own. It has to be comfortable for you when shooting, and also give you the piece of mind that it will do the job!! There's nothing like drawing your bow on a "book" animal, and have something go wrong with your equipment, or have the slightest bit of doubt that something "might" happen. I've seen it happen with a couple of different guys that I hunt with. Whichever rest you decide to choose, remember it has to do everything you want it to do. That way, you'll "feel" confident with your shooting. Then its out to put it to the physical test.

If you want to use a "drop away", I would suggest a "Trophy Taker" Shakey Hunter or the "Trophy Ridge" Drop Zone.

Just my pesonal opinion!